Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VoIP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VoIP

skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Looking for a cheap (preferably free) USA VoIP (with a number that others can call to).
I am from Poland so I can't use google voice.

Comments

• You can get a free number that can make calls with textnow. (But you have to use it in fixed intervals or you lose the number, probably something like once every 14 days)

Cheap doesn't go well with the term voip. You're looking for sip trunking where you can setup your own voip for free. Signalwire is probably the cheapest option.

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • Hushed worked well for me in South Korea. I originally bought from StackSocial, but they seem to be on AppSumo or on their website right now.

https://appsumo.com/marketplace-hushed-lifetime-phone-number/
    https://hushed.com/promo/lifetime/

• @sanvit said:
    Hushed worked well for me in South Korea. I originally bought from StackSocial, but they seem to be on AppSumo or on their website right now.

How well does it work for verification ?
    Can you change phone number after certain interval?

• @codelock said:

@sanvit said:
    Hushed worked well for me in South Korea. I originally bought from StackSocial, but they seem to be on AppSumo or on their website right now.

How well does it work for verification ?

Quite well. However, the phone provider is set as 'Bandwidth.com' (same with Google Voice), so some may reject the number. I can check that for you if you want

Can you change phone number after certain interval?

I don't think so. Tried removing the number, and it also removed the license with it (thank god for AS's 60 day refund). You might want to check with support though

Thanked by 1codelock
  • @sanvit said: Quite well. However, the phone provider is set as 'Bandwidth.com' (same with Google Voice), so some may reject the number. I can check that for you if you want

Bandwidth.com = probably cheapest sip trunking provider (in bulk) so some things would not work. Some of these voip providers are unable to receive messages from shortcodes too.

But either way, $25 sounds like a really good price compared to other voip apps.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited April 2021

By the way, this will only work on a single mobile device iirc.

You could also use their pre paid plan to change number after a period of time

And they consume your credit for both sending and receiving, so choose your plan wisely (although you can always buy extra credits)

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited April 2021

@smallbibi said: Bandwidth.com = probably cheapest sip trunking provider (in bulk) so some things would not work. Some of these voip providers are unable to receive messages from shortcodes too.

TBH unless you're getting your number directly from a mobile carrier, every phone number would be terminated by a SIP provider at some place.
    If you really need a mobile number, you could always port in a real number on both Hushed and GV.

• I > @sanvit said:

@smallbibi said: Bandwidth.com = probably cheapest sip trunking provider (in bulk) so some things would not work. Some of these voip providers are unable to receive messages from shortcodes too.

TBH unless you're getting your number directly from a mobile carrier, every phone number would be terminated by a SIP provider at some place.
    If you really need a mobile number, you could always port in a real number on both Hushed and GV.

How much would it cost could it be used with this promo? Do I have to be a us citizen?

• @codelock said:
    I > @sanvit said:

How much would it cost could it be used with this promo? Do I have to be a us citizen?

If you're talking about porting the number, not sure if this could be used with this promo, but in such case, you would already have a u.s. phone number so you could just use Google Voice.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Inbound: CallCentric Dollar Unlimited
    $1/month, New York State number

Outbound: Localphone | non aff
    $0.005/minute, $1 minimal deposit

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
  • You can use TextNow, they provide a free US number with unlimited calling and text to the USA and Canada, it can also call some companies for free like OVH Ireland, Hetzner Germany, and others, just type the number and it'll show the cost of the call. They even have a web version where you can use it without downloading the app on your phone.

• @skorupion said: I am from Poland

So check Halonet.pl and pay 1 zł per year (first phone number only).

• Textnow
    2ndline
    Telos

• DevasDevas Member

@yoursunny said:
    Inbound: CallCentric Dollar Unlimited
    $1/month, New York State number

Outbound: Localphone | non aff
    $0.005/minute, $1 minimal deposit

LocalPhone also does incoming numbers for 0.75€/month

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

Bandwidth.com, Telnyx, Twilio.

Most of these really are going to require an SIP/PBX software stack on your end to use without paying extra. (you're only paying for trunking in many cases)

If you're willing to put in the work, you can use a VPS and set up a PBX. Though the learning curve is steep.

We offer, however unpublished on our website, VoIP services, using Telnyx as a backend provider, and FusionPBX as a front end.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • I asked hushed about this:

Hushed Agent:

Thanked by 2farsighter sanvit
  • aaronstuderaaronstuder Member
    edited April 2021

@codelock said: Can you change phone number after certain interval?

The groupon deal says this:

• Lifetime number may be changed once per year by deleting the old number and selecting a new one.
  • My order with Groupon is "Processing"

• Cancelled my order with Groupon, and ordered with AppSumo. Got a code instantly.

• Currently on $20 with coupon

• @aaronstuder said: Unfortunately, this an old offer and it's no longer available, nonetheless, we have the same offer available through our vendors

I was actually able to buy it, and it seems to come with 1000TALK/6000SMS credits

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Interesting that it comes with different number of minutes/sms depending on if you buy on Groupon or Appsumo...

Appsumo:

Lifetime Plan includes: 6000 SMS or 1000 Min worth in credits per year
    Groupon: Annual number balance of 500 minutes or 1100 texts, every year for life.

• @tomle said:
    Interesting that it comes with different number of minutes/sms depending on if you buy on Groupon or Appsumo...

Appsumo:

Lifetime Plan includes: 6000 SMS or 1000 Min worth in credits per year
    Groupon: Annual number balance of 500 minutes or 1100 texts, every year for life.

Yup. Noticed this after buying from Groupon :(

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@SpryServers_Tab said:

Most of these really are going to require an SIP/PBX software stack on your end to use without paying extra. (you're only paying for trunking in many cases)

If you're willing to put in the work, you can use a VPS and set up a PBX. Though the learning curve is steep.

🔺 This is real VoIP where you have control.
    I spent 3 days setting up Asterisk, but only got audio working.
    Now they deprecated chan_sip and I'll have to relearn pjsip.

🔻 This is just another calling app.
    They can display ads, they can spy on your devices, etc.
    It ain't worth paying if you can't have the SIP credentials.

@sanvit said:

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:

@SpryServers_Tab said:

🔺 This is real VoIP where you have control.
    I spent 3 days setting up Asterisk, but only got audio working.
    Now they deprecated chan_sip and I'll have to relearn pjsip.

Try FusionPBX. I had trouble with Asterisk as well. I was able to get FusionPBX working with Telnyx, Twilio and FlowRoute. It makes it a bit easier and the guides are a bit more straightforward.