Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remote Jumpbox Requirements
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Remote Jumpbox Requirements

denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep

Hey all, currently I am rocking a racknerd special and i am running into some serious issues trying to run a work station :
3x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz
4.5GB Ram
82GB SSD

I have tried running most distros with a gui : zorinos lite, ubuntu 20.04, fedora 32, manjaro etc etc etc.

I honestly just want something that runs smoothly. What are the specs to run something like zorinos core smoothly?

Does anyone have a host that can run it smooth? Id personally like to use XRDP to connect secured by SSH OR nomachine, and have the video quality be 1080p.

Thanks,
denellum

Comments

• That specification should run it well enough, sounds like the node you're on might be overloaded

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@denellum location, budget?

• denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

@DataIdeas-Josh

Central US, (im in TX) and if it runs smoothly, id be willing to pay for it. Budget maybe around 7 a month? Willing to pay for something to just work.

The things id be doing from the server is discord, web browsing, running phpstorm, terminal, and filezilla. So nothing too serious.

@SWN_Michael honestly, I should just assume everyone is going to overload their box :(

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@denellum said:
    @DataIdeas-Josh

Central US, (im in TX) and if it runs smoothly, id be willing to pay for it. Budget maybe around 7 a month? Willing to pay for something to just work.

The things id be doing from the server is discord, web browsing, running phpstorm, terminal, and filezilla. So nothing too serious.

We are located just north of Houston. I'm thinking we can maybe do a custom VPS for you or can look into getting a box and running it under our Micro Colo.
    PM me and we can discuss details

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Hi @denellum -- I'm curious if this is a network / latency related bottleneck, or something else. Based on your requirements mentioned (video quality, 1080p, etc) it sounds like latency does play an important role here and therefore it might make sense to have us migrate that VM to a datacenter location of ours that is closer to your location. That way you'll be able to take advantage of lower latency, making it more ideal for streaming the 1080p quality you require.

Please feel free to reach out to me [email protected] with more details, as well as a traceroute/MTR.

edited April 2021

Ended up getting fixed up by @dustinc and his team. Issues were a mix of a few things.
    Dustin took time out of his day to help me change locations.

All in all i am extremely happy with the service, and i will write a proper update in the next month or two.

~v/r
    denellum

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@denellum said:
    Ended up getting fixed up by @dustinc and his team. Issues were a mix of a few things.
    Dustin took time out of his day to help me change locations.

All in all i am extremely happy with the service, and i will write a proper update in the next month or two.

~v/r
    denellum

Hi @denellum -- happy to hear everything was fixed -- if you ever need anything, we'll be here to help.

We look forward to working with you for years to come.

• Sweet. Everyone just needs to open a thread here and they'll be given dedicated level performance.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

@denellum can you post a yabs benchmark so we can see what amazing performance and value you are getting?

@JoeMerit said:
    @denellum can you post a yabs benchmark so we can see what amazing performance and value you are getting?

sigh...

First off : I never stated i was getting "amazing service" or a "deal/value". I SIMPLY stated that my issues were resolved which made me happy. And hey, I got to talk with a dude that seemed to care about my issues... that made me happy.

My issue was : the box was not able to push a 1080p display, the max I was able to push I was able to push was xxxx by 768 (forgot 100% what the resolution was). And with gnome tweaker I was unable to to get a really clear crisp text.

When I was migrated to Dallas I was able to get this, not sure what changed on the back-end, but I was able to. So that resolved that issue. Also : my latency went down to under 10MS, which is freaking awesome since I want to use this as a jump box.

As far as why nothing would load : I found out my work decrypts all traffic that goes out on "unapproved apps". No machine and teamviewer were the cause of this. When i swapped to the protocols mentioned in OP, I at that time was able to view/surf the internet (i dont have huge requirements)

Once I got everything loading and working, I then noticed my ram usage was at 3.3GB/4.5GB. To resolve this I simply opened a ticket to ask how much it would cost to pay for 2 more gigs of ram. They shot me an invoice, and I paid the upgrade costs.

As far as a yabs it honestly seems like you are strangely on a witch hunt. I opened a post asking for someone to either provide an idea to resolve my issue, OR someone to provide a service that will allow me to run my requirements. Right now @dustinc was able to do the first part, if, in the future this does not continue to stay this way, I will migrate to @DataIdeas-Josh's idea of throwing a small machine in his colo. He's down in between Houston and Dallas, and I'll know for sure what my hardware will be.

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 255.69 MB/s (63.9k) 1.57 GB/s (24.5k)
    Write 256.36 MB/s (64.0k) 1.58 GB/s (24.7k)
    Total 512.06 MB/s (128.0k) 3.15 GB/s (49.3k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 1.67 GB/s (3.2k) 1.64 GB/s (1.6k)
    Write 1.76 GB/s (3.4k) 1.75 GB/s (1.7k)
    Total 3.43 GB/s (6.7k) 3.39 GB/s (3.3k)

It's good for what I need it for, now as I stated above :

@denellum said: All in all i am extremely happy with the service, and i will write a proper update in the next month or two.

Feel free to stay tuned!

~v/r
    denellum