Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge jump in HDD prices, in just 1 week - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Huge jump in HDD prices, in just 1 week

Comments

• @lentro said:

@LTniger said:
    Isn't chia just a bs to monetize iso upload/download? Cohen is not the most trustworthy guy...

Chia is a blockchain that uses hard drives to mine, not to store any data.

So what is stored? What is on all those petabytes?

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

People from China started gauging it 2 months ago. I don’t think this scam can last that long. When the small players got destroyed by the big players the big players will starve to death naturally.

• @default said: So what is stored? What is on all those petabytes?

Have you ever play Bingo? I heard this analogy that like with Chia you make your own Bingo Cards with unused hard drive space and if Chia calls the numbers on your card, you’ll be awarded newly minted Chia.

• codelockcodelock Member
    edited April 2021

@ps20090 said:

@default said: So what is stored? What is on all those petabytes?

Have you ever play Bingo? I heard this analogy that like with Chia you make your own Bingo Cards with unused hard drive space and if Chia calls the numbers on your card, you’ll be awarded newly minted Chia.

This is exactly what is happening. Nice analogy

Edit : what are the chances of me just reading this https://www.chiaexplorer.com/what-is-farming after seeing your reply. I even had it loaded on another tab.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@default said:

@lentro said:

@LTniger said:
    Isn't chia just a bs to monetize iso upload/download? Cohen is not the most trustworthy guy...

Chia is a blockchain that uses hard drives to mine, not to store any data.

So what is stored? What is on all those petabytes?

From my understanding, "plotting" is where random numbers are stored, then you read over the numbers to come up with a hash.

What you're thinking of (where data is actually stored) is Storj and Sia. Chia is just another coin with a different consensus protocol ("shitcoin"), it doesn't disrupt the storage space in any way.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I can see it now.

Year 2111, blood coin - the less blood you have in your body, the more chance of acquiring the coin.

Founded and supported by the Red Cross.

• LeviLevi Member

@deank said:
    I can see it now.

Year 2111, blood coin - the less blood you have in your body, the more chance of acquiring the coin.

How about semen coin? Billions in potential.

Thanked by 1fragpic
  • @LTniger said:

@deank said:
    I can see it now.

So courtesans will become miners?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

@ps20090 said:

So, the farming is a bingo game, the coin itself is a bingo game, the volatility of market is a bingo game...

Thanked by 2Falzo lentro
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@LTniger said:

@deank said:
    I can see it now.

Fairly sure /r/wallstreetbets already have that one figured out.

1. Make money behind Wendy's
    2. YOLO on meme stocks
    3. ???
    4. Profit
  • @default said:

@ps20090 said:

So, the farming is a bingo game, the coin itself is a bingo game, the volatility of market is a bingo game...

That's what I heard, like it's very random, you can do like 20+ plot and get no coin but someone can get lucky and get coin/reward in first try. What I meant was like it is different from Storj, in storj other people save like files parts in your server/HDD.

Heard some time people makes like 100 plots but got no reward for it, maybe I am not understanding it fully

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited April 2021

@ps20090 said: Heard some time people makes like 100 plots but got no reward for it, maybe I am not understanding it fully

it's actually not that hard. if you want to stick to an analogy: it's like a lottery. and the plots are your tickets for it. you need to create them only once and they are going to be valid for a longer time. you need storage though to have them lay around and be available at anytime, but they'll only be accessed in case they are matching like the first number (of quite a few). anyway every ~19 seconds a winner will be drawn and get two coins.

obviously people will try to create as many tickets as possible and cram them on cheap space to raise their theoretical chances. this is why for now plotting seems the more important part of the game for a while.

only creating your tickets will involve cpu power and more so the algorythm to build the data tables will need resorting and rewriting. therefore for one plot of around 100GB size you'll see around 15 times that in writes to your disk, which is why that shouldn't be the slowest one and SSDs might wear down fast if you plot a lot. after that the 100GB plot files are rather dead storage and not much happens with it anymore but you'll need to keep them around to be eligible for the drawings in your lottery.
    yet it's just a huge data table and 'harvesting' only means being accesible all the time, in case you could have your BINGO.

TL;DR; large (online) storage to keep your tickets around for long, as cheap as possible. and decent cpu power with fast disk but only for as long as you need to create enough plots to fill your storage.

• how do I do it on a headless linux vps ?
    can someone copy/paste the command lines needed ? thanks !

i have 200 gb ssd on my debian 10 vps .

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@atroxz said: i have 200 gb ssd on my debian 10 vps .

that's not enough, with storJ it takes at least 550 GB to mine, and chia needs 128 GB RAM

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@skorupion said: chia needs 128 GB RAM

No.

Chia needs 300G storage but only like 4 - 6G RAM.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

I am not much into conspiracy theories, but the "group" leaders may be trying to make technology more expensive. CPUs got expensive, GPUs got expensive, storage was the only one getting cheaper. Now they invented a (mining) farming way to increase prices on storage too, simply by putting them to mine and actually store nothing at the same time.

Call me crazy because it's beyond my comprehension, call me with PMS because of my ignorance, but this is a pattern I see here. They try to use our greed against us.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

Could someone with unlimited Google storage, attach that storage to a VPS with at least 105gb disk, create partition image (of 100gb) multiple times on VPS and make plots, then upload each image in Google every time, and mount each partition from Google storage to farm?

If this can be created in a loop script, repeating the process indefinitely, one could get rich simply by the low cost of it all. This would be really easy to exploit in such scenario?

@default said: Could someone with unlimited Google storage, attach that storage to a VPS with at least 105gb disk, create partition image (of 100gb) multiple times on VPS and make plots, then upload each image in Google every time, and mount each partition from Google storage to farm?

People were already getting ready for google to start yeeting people, this is going to just exacerbate it that much more.

People paying $20/m expecting to dump 1PB or more of plots on their account...

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@default said: Could someone with unlimited Google storage, attach that storage to a VPS with at least 105gb disk, create partition image (of 100gb) multiple times on VPS and make plots, then upload each image in Google every time, and mount each partition from Google storage to farm?

People were already getting ready for google to start yeeting people, this is going to just exacerbate it that much more.

Francisco

@Francisco said:

Francisco

I avoid using Google. I don't have an enterprise account. But is this doable?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@default said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

@Francisco said:

Francisco

In theory, yeah. In practice, I suspect the time would be wasted as you’d lose it all for abuse.

@default said: I avoid using Google. I don't have an enterprise account. But is this doable?

I mean, sure? A completed plot takes ~100G space so you can upload 7 completed plots per day (if you got the uplink to do it).

The developers did an AMA and posted it to Youtube.

They talk about how some people are trying to store plots to clouds and just overall growth of the network. Their own expectations put them at ~100k "nodes" by end of year. They crossed 130k+ nodes last week.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    Their own expectations put them at ~100k "nodes" by end of year. They crossed 130k+ nodes last week.

So much storage space...

• This crypto shit is getting ridiculous. All it's doing is hurting your regular consumer in the end.

@default said: So much storage space...

https://www.chiaexplorer.com/charts/netspace

~900PB allocated to the network globally.

In the video they think the network could exceed 100 EB by EOY.

May 3rd is when transactions are allowed and coins can be sold. That's when we'll find out if there's about to be a flood of drives hit ebay, or if things are going to get even harder.

I'm trying to build more slabs and drives have now literally doubled in the past 2 weeks.

Francisco

• @serv_ee said:
    This crypto shit is getting ridiculous. All it's doing is hurting your regular consumer in the end.

Yeah. They increased the price of storage by 60% in China, and now they laugh about it. They get rich, while consumers will feel the market impact. Meanwhile miners (or farmers, because they invented a special word for it) will not sell their investment because they have high hopes in this shitcoin. This is why I thought of Google, maybe they could take some of the load from all this crap.

Congratulations to creators of Chia though. They managed to advertise Chia extremely well, making the project absorb insane amount of storage from the market. These guys will make a lot of profit from speculation very soon.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited April 2021

@default said: I avoid using Google. I don't have an enterprise account. But is this doable?

you do not even need all the fuss with the partition image I think.

I haven't used google storage in a way of attaching it to a VM so far, but like the people with their plex servers do/did I assume it's much easier to have it available as a plain folder (fuse-mount probably?)

so you simply mount it and put your plots onto it. as said, didn't try but I do think gdrive/onedrive and the likes are a rather big part of the current so called 'network size' already...

PS:

@default said: a VPS with at least 105gb disk

this is the only that does not work, because you need about 250 GB for the temporary storage in the process to create a single plot.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@default said: These guys will make a lot of profit from speculation very soon.

this. if you look at: https://www.chiaexplorer.com/top-addresses

the bank aka the creators prefarmed 21 million coins. the rest has been farmed since opening for public mid of march. as the coins go out in a linear/constant fashion at a rate of 64 coins per 10 minutes or 9216 per day no matter the network growth - you can exactly predict the available market shares in advance long term.
    this obviously leads to different speculation models...

• This can also lead to a plot twist: pump and dump.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@default said:

Not the way you describe, but in essence yes.

@Falzo said: did I assume it's much easier to have it available as a plain folder

gdrive, rclone etc. there's a bunch of apps that can do it. Quite regular use case for our users infact i believe

The bottleneck is plotting speed.