Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex or Emby dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex or Emby dedicated server

Hi I would like to have a Plex or emby system to share with friends / family (10-20 users enough for now)

The content will be forced to play directly (mp4 files, H264) around 2-3gb per movie (RARbg and YTS releases do not need a transcode).

something with 1-2TB space is enough for now.

my budget is low 10-15$ is fine to start?

I saw some already automated, 1 click install like bytesized, dediseedbox works for this?

Comments

• they allow share plex content with others?

thanks

• I highly recommend you to get hetzner auction server at the very least. Otherwise, the shared resources would not fare well during stress

Thanked by 2neyol44 drunkendog
  • @neyol44 said:

they allow share plex content with others?

thanks

It's not up to the provider :). You will just need to share content with other users or connect users to your account. It's already inside Plex tho.

@xetsys Nah, he is using Public Trackers, which means that Hetzner will send him DMCA hello.

Ultra does have powerful machines with EPYC and GPU :)

Thanked by 1neyol44
  • @CalmDown said:

@neyol44 said:

thanks

It's not up to the provider :). You will just need to share content with other users or connect users to your account. It's already inside Plex tho.

@xetsys Nah, he is using Public Trackers, which means that Hetzner will send him DMCA hello.

Well, that can still work out provided the user knows about hiding torrent clients on a server behind proxy/vpn.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • I didn’t see anywhere on ultra.cc where they specify how many streams each package/slot can handle.

• @xetsys said:

@CalmDown said:

@neyol44 said:

thanks

Well, that can still work out provided the user knows about hiding torrent clients on a server behind proxy/vpn.

True, but I don't think that current use can configure that :)

@doughnet You can simply ask them :)

• Whatbox only support 1 transcoding or 2 direct plays per TB

2TB support 4 direct play... is not enought if have more than 4 users

• xetsysxetsys Member
    edited April 2021

@neyol44 said:
    Whatbox only support 1 transcoding or 2 direct plays per TB

The YIFY encodes have very low bitrate. So, I think you might be able to get away with 100Mbps kimsufi i3 server, which can be used with quicksync.

https://www.kimsufi.com/en/order/kimsufi.xml?reference=1804sk181

This is a dedicated server, so its pretty flexible what you do with it. Being OVH, I am certain public trackers/torrents are a go.

If it were me, I would be installing swizzin with minimum setup, i.e. nginx, plex, rutorrent, panel, vsftpd, filebrowser.

After setup, you have to enable hardware transcoding in plex server settings and limit connection per user or something.

• @xetsys said:

@neyol44 said:
    Whatbox only support 1 transcoding or 2 direct plays per TB

The YIFY encodes have very low bitrate. So, I think you might be able to get away with 100Mbps kimsufi i3 server, which can be used with quicksync.

https://www.kimsufi.com/en/order/kimsufi.xml?reference=1804sk181

This is a dedicated server, so its pretty flexible what you do with it. Being OVH, I am certain public trackers/torrents are a go.

If it were me, I would be installing swizzin with minimum setup, i.e. nginx, plex, rutorrent, panel, vsftpd, filebrowser.

After setup, you have to enable hardware transcoding in plex server settings and limit connection per user or something.

I think this prices so high for this server.

• I think your budget is slightly low, You will ofcourse need dedicated server, even though you force direct stream play, it also depends on receivers end if media is supported (mostly there are audio issues). There will be always some transcoding. Also 10-20 users means you definitely need dedicated server and good port bandwidth like something above atleast 200 Mbits.

• @accusync70 said:

snip

It actually offers pretty good value considering being a dedicated server.

• I use Docker for downloading etc, you can get pre-built docker images that will work with VPNs, which makes it SO easy to setup

• what u think about hetzner reseller?

https://abcvg.net/notinstall.php

i7-2600
    16 GB RAM
    2x3 TB SATA

2400 RUB (32$)

This is legit? pay with bitcoins was perfect for me

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@neyol44 said:
    what u think about hetzner reseller?

https://abcvg.net/notinstall.php

i7-2600