Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge jump in HDD prices, in just 1 week
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Huge jump in HDD prices, in just 1 week

PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
edited April 2021 in General

There's a huge jump in HDD prices in the span of just 1 week.

Everything is up like ~33% in manner of one week. Prices for 16TB HDDs rose by almost 90€ VAT 0% in the timespan of just few days, so more than 100€ for european consumers.

It can't be just Chia mining, or can it? Surely it's not that big of a thing yet?
Or is there some other supply woes?

EDIT: Oh normally we see just single digit % fluctuation trending lower on HDDs on a month to month basis.

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

its chia + storJ plus any other crypto that came

• yes it's Chia .

• naingnaing Member

@PulsedMedia said: It can't be just Chia mining, or can it? Surely it's not that big of a thing yet?

It's not only Chia, but also China.

Just look at Google Trends. The interest for Chia took off exactly a week ago. And China dominated the trend.

Thanked by 1JustPfff
  • FalzoFalzo Member

Chia is up from ~300PB to ~600 PB in like two weeks, so highly likely to play a role in this. vendors won't ramp up their production immediately just because of that but embrace a bigger margin instead.

• Not just purchasing harddrives - I've been watching any reasonably priced Dedi with a harddrive sellout just take a look at Kimsufi.. only one server type left in stock now!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

people are going to freak if Chia doesn't hit the $20/coin they hope.

Francisco

Thanked by 3Falzo doghouch Aluminat
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@PulsedMedia said:
    There's a huge jump in HDD prices in the span of just 1 week.

Everything is up like ~33% in manner of one week. Prices for 16TB HDDs rose by almost 90€ VAT 0% in the timespan of just few days, so more than 100€ for european consumers.

It can't be just Chia mining, or can it? Surely it's not that big of a thing yet?
    Or is there some other supply woes?

EDIT: Oh normally we see just single digit % fluctuation trending lower on HDDs on a month to month basis.

Mixed of Chai and still from the world shutting down.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:
    people are going to freak if Chia doesn't hit the $20/coin they hope.

Francisco

Can you even buy Chia yet?

@DataIdeas-Josh said: Can you even buy Chia yet?

May 3rd/4th is when mainnet allows transfers. There's a couple China exchanges listing the futures of the coin with incredibly inflated pricing (thousands per coin range).

I don't know of any other exchanges announcing support for it.

The idea behind Chia is that it gets onto the stock market I think, instead of an ICO type deal. They want Chia to be seen as a legitimate product/offering. Given the people involved (the guy that came up with bittorrent, etc), they might just pull it off.

Francisco

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@DataIdeas-Josh said: Can you even buy Chia yet?

Unofficially yes, futures or something. Last i checked it was 1500$/XCH.
    But who knows how much it will be when it can really be traded. They are right now really trading IOUs not XCH, and i bet it's all speculators.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said: Given the people involved (the guy that came up with bittorrent, etc), they might just pull it off.

This was for us an instant sign of validity, along with the fact i remember him talking about this years ago. Ethereum on other hand has many scam coin signals from the original developers, kind of surprised how little people at large seem to care about that.

edited April 2021

@PulsedMedia said: Unofficially yes, futures or something. Last i checked it was 1500$/XCH. But who knows how much it will be when it can really be traded. They are right now really trading IOUs not XCH, and i bet it's all speculators.

Right, even the dev's are figuring around $20/coin.

There was some people on the LET Discord showing that a 4x16T node could pull $200 - $300/m (while only costing ~$80 at hetzner or whatever), meaning the coin could drop to $5 - $7 and still be breakeven.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@PulsedMedia said: Unofficially yes, futures or something. Last i checked it was 1500$/XCH. But who knows how much it will be when it can really be traded. They are right now really trading IOUs not XCH, and i bet it's all speculators.

Right, even the dev's are figuring around $20/coin.

There was some people on the LET Discord showing that a 4x16T node could pull $200 - $300/m (while only costing ~$80 at hetzner or whatever), meaning the coin could drop to $5 - $7 and still be breakeven.

Francisco

No wonder why hetzner is out of SX series servers with long waiting time then.

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

Counting the days when this crypto nonsense ends. Like others here, I'm storing backups, websites and emails for my customers. Stuff that's (mostly) useful. Now i need to compete with crypto speculators bidding up imagined tokens when buying new drives? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2021

He is still getting verified. It takes a month or two to get verified and used more often.
    And his earning are weird here is mine after 2 days (still unverified)

• @stefeman said:
    Monthly revenue from STORJ lol

StorJ takes a lot of time. While Chia fills up your disk quickly, StorJ takes at least 6 months to do the same.

• I still remember filecoin...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2021

People already asking for disk upgrades on NanoKVM.

Guys, don't.

@Neoon said:
    People already asking for disk upgrades on NanoKVM.

Guys, don't.

you need at least 550 GB of storage to mine storj

• @naing said:

@PulsedMedia said: It can't be just Chia mining, or can it? Surely it's not that big of a thing yet?

It's not only Chia, but also China.

Just look at Google Trends. The interest for Chia took off exactly a week ago. And China dominated the trend.

I dont think Google Trends is really accurate for a country that ... blocks Google (HK is separate)

• elliotcelliotc Member
    edited April 2021

Chia doesn't make sense for me. If you think the way BTC "proof of work", doesn't make sene, why announce another "proof of work" crypto.
    Edit: don’t forget that crypto has a 51% attack, and the capacity of the hard disk has increased far more than the computing power.

Thanked by 2that_guy Ouji
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@elliotc said: why announce another "proof of work" crypto.

chia isn't "proof of work". that's the whole point. at least for believers.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

Hm, maybe i should list some drives i picked up cheap on ebay...

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Falzo said:

Yeah, Chia is rather "proof of space" :)

• FalzoFalzo Member

@angstrom said:

@Falzo said:

Yeah, Chia is rather "proof of space" :)

plus proof of time. to be fair the concept reads quite interesting and tackles a lot of points that no one thought of years ago. yet who knows what to make out of it in the long run and which things might pop up, no one thought of yet.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • LeviLevi Member

Isn't chia just a bs to monetize iso upload/download? Cohen is not the most trustworthy guy...

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

@LTniger said:
    Isn't chia just a bs to monetize iso upload/download? Cohen is not the most trustworthy guy...

I am also afraid what such "iso" contains. Monetizing bandwidth and storage in such huge volume, all encrypted, sounds interesting business. One could even store and distribute illegal content, and nobody would know. This guy will be insanely rich soon.

EDIT: We give corporations our privacy (pictures, videos, content), now we give them our bandwidth and storage too. I am curious what they will want next.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@LTniger said:

Chia is a blockchain that uses hard drives to mine, not to store any data.