Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo says Hello from Singapore! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo says Hello from Singapore!

Comments

• I need advice or help me understand setup fee of contabo. I got interested with SG server and a promotional $0 setup fee for first 1000 orders. I got myself one server but I selected monthly payment since I am new customer and not sure about their performance and stuff. Everything is fine and right now I am tweaking it.

I login to customer dashboard and on "Your services" tab I saw this

$ / Month         $ / Setup     Next payment
    $6.99             $6.99         20th of May, 2021

Does this means that next month when I renew this service I need to pay $6.99 for setup and $6.99 for the vps?

• @team_traitor said:
    I need advice or help me understand setup fee of contabo. I got interested with SG server and a promotional $0 setup fee for first 1000 orders. I got myself one server but I selected monthly payment since I am new customer and not sure about their performance and stuff. Everything is fine and right now I am tweaking it.

I login to customer dashboard and on "Your services" tab I saw this

$ / Month       $ / Setup     Next payment
    $6.99           $6.99         20th of May, 2021

Does this means that next month when I renew this service I need to pay $6.99 for setup and $6.99 for the vps?

Isnt it $9.99 monthly recurring?

• @snt I don't know. I confuse too. That is why I am asking existing customer. I am expecting a $9.99 monthly fee and $0 setup fee since the vps is already provisioned.

• Damn... still 400+ ping to australia

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited April 2021

Disclosure: Contabo gave me very early access (pre launch) to both a VPS and a VDS and - again - worked closely together with me, really listened and significantly enhancing quite a few routes.

Benchmark and review based on 150 or so runs upcoming. Quick peek ahead of review: their nodes are very good and with fast disks too.

I don't know their pricing (didn't even look yet) but highly recommended if it fits within your budgets. Finally a VPS with both great hardware and very decent routes in Asia and Ozzyland.

Edit: I went considerably beyond my usual target set and did test quite a few Asian targets too, ranging from MY to JP and NZ.

Thanked by 1contabo_m
  • @jsg said:
    Disclosure: Contabo gave me very early access (pre launch) to both a VPS and a VDS and - again - worked closely together with me, really listened and significantly enhancing quite a few routes.

Benchmark and review based on 150 or so runs upcoming. Quick peek ahead of review: their nodes are very good and with fast disks too.

I don't know their pricing (didn't even look yet) but highly recommended if it fits within your budgets. Finally a VPS with both great hardware and very decent routes in Asia and Ozzyland.

what is their cpu usage policy ? do they suspend users..someone knows ?

• @shain73 said:

@jsg said:

Last time I asked the Support a while ago I got told that I can use the cores as much as I want to.

Thanked by 1shain73

@shain73 said:

Sorry, I don't know, except that with a VDS you obviously can have 100% usage. I'd guess though that they're relatively relaxed wrt VPS due to not brutally overselling and very decent node hardware.

Thanked by 1shain73
  • @FAT32 said:
    Considering to cancel my HostUS VPS for this... network has been a bit slow and ping is unstable... this is excluding last time where I encountered DDOS issues during BF/CM :( The only plus is the CPU performance is decent

Agree, I regret buying those vps for vpn use. Never buy vps for vpn anymore, not stable at all.

• contabo_mcontabo_m Member, Patron Provider

@team_traitor said:
    @snt I don't know. I confuse too. That is why I am asking existing customer. I am expecting a $9.99 monthly fee and $0 setup fee since the vps is already provisioned.

Your understanding is right and probably our control panel doesn't display the information for VPS purchased in promotion correctly. We will take a look at this.

Thanked by 1afn
  • Looks great, but not my cup of tea :D

• Wow. they're using EPYC 2019. but still worth . :smile:

• hanoihanoi Member

Hey @contabo_m, could you please take a look my vps, seem disk IO is low, Average : 133.0 MB/s.
    My Order ID: 637701

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@hanoi said:
    Hey @contabo_m, could you please take a look my vps, seem disk IO is low, Average : 133.0 MB/s.
    My Order ID: 637701

Don't take advantage of their presence here unnecessarily :)

What you're facing is a technical issue hence you should engage them via their support/ticketing system.

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • Anyone able to reinstall the VPS? It has always been like this since last night

They even haven't reply to my previous ticket about IPv6 problem

• kuerisukuerisu Member
    edited April 2021

@NanoG6 said:
    Anyone able to reinstall the VPS? It has always been like this since last night

Me, too. I tried many times but I can't resinstall.
    I also can't connect my VPS via VNC.

• it'd be ill if contabo offered anycast dns

• @NanoG6 said:
    Anyone able to reinstall the VPS? It has always been like this since last night

They even haven't reply to my previous ticket about IPv6 problem

same, no reply about reinstall/rescue either.

• @contabo_m
    Hi,Is that possible to request a routing optimization?
    My traceroute seems like it didn't have the shortest optimized routing connection.
    Telekom Malaysia(AS4788) to Contabo Asia(AS141995)
    Normally my isp to singapore only get about 8ms-50ms(By Equinix SG get about 10ms)

• Bought 2 vps yesterdays. Most of the time speed test are under 300Kbps (HK to SG). Seems they are not ready for production.

edited April 2021

@Edward_S said:
    Bought 2 vps yesterdays. Most of the time speed test are under 300Kbps (HK to SG). Seems they are not ready for production.

Uhm, ping from Contabo SGP to two different HKG targets is about 35 to 40 ms and download speed is very nice too (> 150 Mb/s). What your HKG provider does is their problem.

• @jsg said: What your HKG provider does is their problem.

No, in this case it is simply HE SG<->HK L2 being oversold. It is oversold since it exists. Most guess 1:3, but more realistic is 1:10 🤣

• @jsg said:

@Edward_S said:
    Bought 2 vps yesterdays. Most of the time speed test are under 300Kbps (HK to SG). Seems they are not ready for production.

Uhm, ping from Contabo SGP to two different HKG targets is about 35 to 40 ms and download speed is very nice too (> 150 Mb/s). What your HKG provider does is their problem.

HKBN. I have OVH, DO, SG vps both have better speed.
    Will test with PCCW and other ISP later.

• Tested with other 2 isp also shit speed. So the problem maybe my vps node is oversold or something. Already sent email to Contabo support see if have solution. :)

• Operating system reinstallation is running...

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @kuerisu said:
    Operating system reinstallation is running...

Thanks! How about IPv6 is it working?

• kuerisukuerisu Member
    edited April 2021

In Ubuntu 20.04:
    Uncomment IPv6 part of /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml
    Comment out last line of /etc/sysctl.conf
    Then reboot.
    IPv6 will work.

• routing in Australia is a little hit and miss.

myself using Superloop (Megaport) have a 90ms ping to the server that is quiet reasonable,
    a friend using a TPG based link starts getting 200ms+ via HE in Sydney?? with a round trip of over 250ms, 200ms within Australia is a joke, you may as well host in USA
    my mobile using Telstra routes via Japan before getting to SG making it a 400ms round trip, I will see if I can find a friend using a Telstra retail link at their house rather than a mobile link to see if there is much difference, but I doubt that.

I have not been able to configure IPv6 either like others, they pointed me to the blog page, but that does nothing.

hopefully I can have some more information tomorrow, but I will dump a YABS..

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-29                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Thu 22 Apr 2021 08:31:28 PM AEST

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7282 16-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 6 @ 2794.748 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 15.6 GiB
    Swap       : 2.0 GiB
    Disk       : 392.7 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 5.26 MB/s     (1.3k) | 63.76 MB/s     (996)
    Write      | 5.29 MB/s     (1.3k) | 64.18 MB/s    (1.0k)
    Total      | 10.55 MB/s    (2.6k) | 127.95 MB/s   (1.9k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 127.48 MB/s    (249) | 98.49 MB/s      (96)
    Write      | 134.26 MB/s    (262) | 105.05 MB/s    (102)
    Total      | 261.75 MB/s    (511) | 203.54 MB/s    (198)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 259 Mbits/sec   | 190 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 237 Mbits/sec   | 122 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 180 Mbits/sec   | 225 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 274 Mbits/sec   | 269 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 158 Mbits/sec   | 177 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 166 Mbits/sec   | 113 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 213 Mbits/sec   | 153 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | busy

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 549
    Multi Core      | 1716
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7539841

I find their disk speed slow for what they advertise.