Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone started mining Chia with server???
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Someone started mining Chia with server???

SSD prices have already started to increase. . .

next step... large-capacity SSD Server Price increase? :|

Comments

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

In the same way that Filecoin/IPFS is waayyyy overrated, and I feel like this would be as well. People shouldn't be just mining to make short term money but mine viable long-term projects...

In the case of Chia, I can't really see what makes it so special. If you want to get rid of electric costs, why are servers with large SSD space even required? Is there any other benefit that I'm overlooking?

Staking already fixes the problem Chia is trying to fix. Doesn't look like a successful long term project to me.

• dragonfskydragonfsky Member
    edited April 2021

A stupid scam >:)

• Yes, the ssd has increased by 20% now

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

We put some of our spare capacity on that :)
    We got tons of HDD space we have to be able to vacate within hours at need, so it's a natural fit since the farming don't consume almost any server resources.

For testing we put a EPyC 32C, 24xSSD server for plotting. Plot speed seems to vary a lot, we've not yet had much time for actual tuning. We also tested our cheapest possible server, 6core low power opteron with HDDs, that too plotted 4-5 plots a day despite having broken HDD slowing things down.

It would actually make sense for many to get our seedboxes for chia plot farming. It's super simple :O just sshfs fuse mount and add that as plot directory, mv as usual the plots there.

For us, as long as it makes us something it's a no brainer, only thing that costs us actual money is the plotting -- but since you only need to do that once ... :)

Chia also has other benefits, read their whitepaper. Chialisp allows for dapps, and Chia could compete with Ethereum on that front. Bram Cohen is behind Chia, and he already has some slight success called Bittorrent behind him :)

Thanked by 1lentro
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2021

So how would this work if you plotted your VPS hard drive?

If you do a reinstall you get a 'fresh harddrive' normally. Would the plot file be the same? Could you say:

• have a 'data' drive (a Slab if you will)
    • Plot your primary OS drive
    • Store the PLOT data over to the slab
    • Reinstall the main OS drive
    • Plot that reinstall and get a different plot file?

Francisco

I think I misunderstood what this is doing exactly.

So the plot file is generated and stored on NVME/SSD just because it's fast, it isn't like...reading patterns/characteristics from the drive to make a big hash of it.

OK, that makes a bit more sense :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1lentro
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

also the finished plot can be stored even on a USB drive, perf requirements are near zero on that. Only the initial plotting requires high I/O performance.

If the 20$ / XCH estimate holds true right now farming is making some really really nice profit margins -- the tough thing is how long it takes to plot all that space.

Right now i am looking at about 2PiB of unused space we got laying around, that'll take a while to plot if using just single idle machine .... :open_mouth:

• In before CH-CH-CHIA meme.

• is there a step by step guide to installing the chia mining software , on headless vps ?

• come with seeds?

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

The network size is only 387 PB, which is not much.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

Sounds like another pump-and-dump story.

Thanked by 1fragpic
  • "Chia is More suitable for general user participation", if this statement is true, it's not destined to end well. Money is only made by a few people.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited April 2021

There was plenty of 4x10 TB relative cheap (80€) servers on hetzner/sb now they are all gone lol

Next move is mine crypto in our heads and end of humans..

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I have 2TB hard drive on the home router, with 1.5TB space left.
    I read about Chia and it seems that their software wouldn't work on MIPS32 architecture.

My servers are all tight in storage, because my apps mostly use RAM.
    The biggest storage is 45GB, but it's VirMach that only allows 80 IOPS.

Thus, no Chia for me.

@elliotc said:
    "Chia is More suitable for general user participation", if this statement is true, it's not destined to end well. Money is only made by a few people.

Anyone can make money by going to California and look for gold.
    Public lands in California are open for all, and any gold you find is your property, after paying normal income tax.

Gold, by definition, is money.
    There used to be gold nuggets, but nowadays you can only find gold sand.

@xrz said:
    Next move is mine crypto in our heads and end of humans..

Anyone found the crypto in my push-ups yet?

• @yoursunny said: Anyone can make money by going to California and look for gold.

Yes but no, a few gold prospectors make a fortune, but many more are among the unlucky ones who endure meaningless labor on unexplored land, creating money for others for a pittance in the end. Personally, I think the probability of investing in undiscovered wealth is not justified because we are lack of money and information.
    Angel fund can take the 1% success rate but I cannot. I will always follow the big player, they buy BTC, I buy BTC; They buy tesla, I buy tesla.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

If I remember correctly, there was something called Burstcoin (or something else) that did something similar.

• @lentro said:
    If I remember correctly, there was something called Burstcoin (or something else) that did something similar.

Burstcoin is dead...

• @xiaopigu said:

@lentro said:

Burstcoin is dead...

I believe that is the point being made.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • LeviLevi Member

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/chia-network/ it's going downhill. Cohen drinking Crystal champagne like a water.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@LTniger said:
    https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/chia-network/ it's going downhill. Cohen drinking Crystal champagne like a water.

Maybe he already sold his coins, and now enjoys some popcorn.

• i mean what you expect was gona happen from another virtual # that accomplished nothing but taking peoples hopes and dreams and throwing them where they belong. ofc founder sold everything asap and is rich af, same shit that always happens

• Chia dropped today by 12-14%.

@xiaopigu said:
    :o

@gemuruhco said:
    Chia dropped today by 12-14%.

My guess is it settles around where filecoin is, which is ~$120.

You gotta think. If it stayed at $600/each, we'd never be able to get a harddrive again because it'd be the most profitable coin out there, end of.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@xiaopigu said:

@gemuruhco said:

You gotta think. If it stayed at $600/each, we'd never be able to get a harddrive again because it'd be the most profitable coin out there, end of.

Francisco

True. At least we got some time to be able get the drive again... at least... :D

• @default said:

@LTniger said:

Maybe he already sold his coins, and now enjoys some popcorn.

If you're eating popcorn right after making millions, you're doing it wrong.

Thanked by 2lentro bulbasaur
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@xiaopigu said:

@gemuruhco said:

Francisco

Its at 1 k

@skorupion said: Its at 1 k

God. Dammit.

Francisco

Thanked by 2TimboJones skorupion
  • aleastyaleasty Member
    1. Nobody talks about the lisp dialect they came up with, Chialisp. Lisp family is highly respected.

2. With so much money, they started hiring.

3. They are looking for Python and C++ engineers.

If they create API libraries for Python & interpreted friends and invest in education about their smart contract logic which I haven't understood, they can land a sweet spot in the market.

They are onto something there and eventually it will have more effect than just hodling.