Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

should vps plans with less than 512mb disappear?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

should vps plans with less than 512mb disappear?

for example ramnode offers 192mb openvz plan but i think it should be 512mb, hell it is 2021

what do you think guys?

vps should have minimum 512mb?
  1. vps should have minimum 512mb?118 votes
    1. yes
      31.36%
    2. no
      68.64%

Comments

• Sometimes 512 is too much. There's no need to have more than enough.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I'm running multiple name servers on 256 MB and even 128 MB would work.

So: clearly NO, plans with less than 512mb should NOT disappear.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited April 2021

I'm using a few VPSes with 256 MB RAM for dnstools.ws, but even 128 MB would be okay.

Thanked by 3default Shot2 bulbasaur
  • 512 is plenty for OpenVZ boxes considering what they're usually used for (nameservers, VPN servers, uptime monitors, etc.).

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

Technology may evolve, but our needs are still quite simple. Besides, this is LET, and we love a good challenge into what we can do with small and cheap servers. In my opinion the answer here is a clear NO. I actually like more diversity in LET offers.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Debian 10 runs happily in 256MB of RAM:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch03s04.en.html

• @gapper said: i think it should be 512mb, hell it is 2021

Wrong forum. Go to the Docker one, but be sure to have your Electron up and running inside your Kubernetes.

I have a 256 MB NAT VPS from @Cam and it's more than enough for my Telegram bots.
    Barely loaded, I have plans to put heavier burden onto it.

You should get one too, at least to support LowEnd movement: https://hosting.gullo.me/pricing

• 4GB is the new 512MB

• _MS__MS_ Member

Depends on the use case. 512 MB is more than enough in some cases, and too little in others. 256 MB runs a lot of stuff nicely too. Even 128 MB is fine if you only need to run a VPN or other stuff with little RAM requirements. So, no.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

No. It's the cheap way to have everything. You can easily run a website, DNS, a bot for telegram, and a VPN at the same time. I'm thinking about buying the pack of 6 NAT VPS from @cam and making a worldwide VPN for myself. I have one 512 MB VPS from @dustinc that I won in a giveaway, and I use it to rclone my backups to one drive.

Thanked by 1Cam
  • "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away."

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • Why is this a discussion when there's still a demand for it? Economy should determine the need.
    People shouldn't be deprived of tiny VPSs when that's all they want.

Thanked by 2rhinoduck drunkendog
  • akbakb Member

I have a 64 MB VPS from securedragon since 2012 and its been running Debian 9 comfortably with nginx as reverse proxy (hint: builds from nginx's own repos use less memory), a authoritative DNS server, a inbound mail relay for a decent traffic website plus a OpenVPN tunnel to the main server. In 2021 I converted it to Alpine while keeping the use case same with similar packages. And now I had 50 MB free memory. Added dnsmasq (as caching DNS + ads blocker) & a custom compiled sshguard. Still have 48 free out of 64 MB.

Today I can get a 1GB VPS (even 2GB on special days) in lower than what I am paying for this 64 MB one and then bloat it with whatever I want. But whats the fun in it? You learn a lot of stuff in process of optimizing your resource usages. Besides that, the stability & uptime of this tiny VPS has been much more than that of my costliest server purchases. So No .. 512 MB plans shouldn't disappear at all. Running maximum of apps efficiently on minimum of resources used to be slogan of LET.

Thanked by 3farsighter xetsys titus
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • I don't think they should, everyone has different requirements, and 512 MB suffice for most of minor resources consuming uses, according to me it should stay and serve the purpose

• anything below DDR4 512MB should be phased out in a systematic way.

• should anything disappear at all because you don't find a use for it?

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • Considering these day you can have 1GB for the price of these 512MB and under, I take the 1GB one.

• @akb said:
    snip

Pretty much this. I have learned more when strapped for server resources. One tends to search a way around the normal practices and often end up finding something better! Even if one can afford a higher end VPS or a server, a lower end NAT VPS is recommended for quick learning.

• titustitus Member

Less RAM than 512MB is enough for a lot of 'small' and useful tasks, processes: VPN, IRC tools (for example eggdrop, znc), small static websites. I have some VPS with 256MB RAM from different providers, and I'm happy with them.