Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think DDoS Protection is important?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you think DDoS Protection is important?

How much does DDoS protection matter when you select a web hosting? Some say DDoS protection is the deciding factor.
Feel free to leave your opinion below. :)

DDoS, Yes or No?
  1. Does DDoS really matter?149 votes
    1. Yes
      73.15%
    2. No
      26.85%

Comments

• Nowadays, DDoS protection is imo indispensable. Of course you could use a CDN with protection like Cloudflare and configure it leakproof. For me, I wouldn't use a hoster without protection for critical stuff.

Thanked by 1lucas01
  • No really, but its an added advantage for your service.

• LeeLee Veteran

Depends, surely DDoS is only important to you if it is a problem for you. Although these days I would expect the norm from a provider perspective is that they do offer some sort of protection.

• For me and most of my clients, DDoS is not a direct issue, we are never or rarely targeted.
    However, it does become a problem when the provider we are using is dead in the water because of a DDoS against some of its other customers.

So for me personally DDoS protection is not a must have. For the provider I'm using, its a must.

Thanked by 2lucas01 kkrajk
  • ZareZare Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

@rcy026 said:
    For me and most of my clients, DDoS is not a direct issue, we are never or rarely targeted.
    However, it does become a problem when the provider we are using is dead in the water because of a DDoS against some of its other customers.

So for me personally DDoS protection is not a must have. For the provider I'm using, its a must.

Just because clients don't get DDoS'd doesn't mean it shouldn't be important. Only needs to happen once to get nulled routed and then whoever the client is cannot use their service and therefore will lose earnings.

These days any kid can take down a service without DDoS protection with a $5 booter. All providers should have some level of protection i feel.

Edit: Slightly misread what you meant, however i think DDoS should be important for all providers and clients.

• @Zare said:

Just because clients don't get DDoS'd doesn't mean it shouldn't be important. Only needs to happen once to get nulled routed and then whoever the client is cannot use their service and therefore will lose earnings.

It depends very much on the type of client. A lot of my customers have websites and email, some even run their own VPS's for various purposes, but it is in no way critical to their business. If the website or email is down it's an annoyance, but it will not effect their day-to-day business. If they for whatever reason should be DDoS'd, it will cost them less in lost earnings then the increased cost of having a provider with good DDoS protection.
    I've seen industries with thousands of employees that simply pull the internet plug when they are attacked. As long as their internal systems and networks are operational, they do not really need internet access to function.

If your earnings depend on staying online, then of course DDoS protection is a must, it shouldn't even be a question. But if you don't realise that yourself, you are probably to stupid to run a business anyway.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • sandozsandoz Veteran

Of course is not important, let someone DDoS your entire Network, and if you receive complaints from your clients. Tell them, you will sue them for saying such words.

Let you receive a big attack for hours, and stay down for couple of days. With more than +100 tickets support to reply with the subject "refund"

Clearly, is not important...

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

It depends on the use you are going to make. If you are a small website or a simple presentation site, you will rarely get ddos attacks. If you are a hosting company or other business as well, I think it is one of the key things to adopt. Website protection is now very cheap and very effective!

Thanked by 1lucas01
  • Currently I don't care about DDoS, because my VPSes are not hosting webs.

Even for those webs I am hosting, it is just annoying if it gets DDoSed, and I do not lose money because of that, since those are just my hobbies, not business.

If I host some webs for business, I will choose the one with DDoS protection.

• @fendix said:
    Nowadays, DDoS protection is imo indispensable. Of course you could use a CDN with protection like Cloudflare and configure it leakproof. For me, I wouldn't use a hoster without protection for critical stuff.

Its always possible to send a fake DMCA to CF and they will give out your server IP eventually :smile:

• depends,

halp, my site down 1 million lost - YES

Some kid is DDoS'ing me. My unimportant server is down - No

Thanked by 3yoursunny lucas01 d3rpy
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

From my point of view, absolutely yes.
    This is why guys like me pays at OVH double price instead of preferring Hetzner only because of OVH Game protection advantages.

• @momkin said:

@fendix said:
    Nowadays, DDoS protection is imo indispensable. Of course you could use a CDN with protection like Cloudflare and configure it leakproof. For me, I wouldn't use a hoster without protection for critical stuff.

Its always possible to send a fake DMCA to CF and they will give out your server IP eventually :smile:

Cf wont leak your server ip, they will just forward the dmca to the host and let the reportee know which host the website is hosted at.

• Most companies offer it as a standard, and I feel like it should be a standard as DDOS Attacks do happen. Even like 10-20GBPS protection is more than enough.

• @momkin said:

@fendix said:

I heard it as well. Just to make sure: reverse proxy.

@sdglhm said:
    depends,

halp, my site down 1 million lost - YES

Some kid is DDoS'ing me. My unimportant server is down - No

I'm sure it's annoying to have a well-frequented gameserver which received attacks the whole time. Not only bussiness websites should be protected.

• AlexvukAlexvuk Member
    edited April 2021

You know what is ddos protection and how it works ?

Like everyone can get into your house and do whatever they want in your house , this is a server without ddos protection.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

It's a strong case of you don't need it till you do. Once you need it and you don't have it, you have a problem.

• @Alexvuk said:

Like everyone can get into your house and do whatever they want in your house , this is a server without ddos protection.

Not really accurate. More like someone blocking the road to your house so people cant get there.

• I wont buy service from a provider that doesn't have DDOS protection. It is an absolute must have. Minimum 20gbit.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

@rcy026 said:

@Alexvuk said:

Not really accurate. More like someone blocking the road to your house so people cant get there.

Basically this

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited April 2021

@rcy026 said:

@Zare said:

It depends very much on the type of client. A lot of my customers have websites and email, some even run their own VPS's for various purposes, but it is in no way critical to their business. If the website or email is down it's an annoyance, but it will not effect their day-to-day business. If they for whatever reason should be DDoS'd, it will cost them less in lost earnings then the increased cost of having a provider with good DDoS protection.
    I've seen industries with thousands of employees that simply pull the internet plug when they are attacked. As long as their internal systems and networks are operational, they do not really need internet access to function.

If your earnings depend on staying online, then of course DDoS protection is a must, it shouldn't even be a question. But if you don't realise that yourself, you are probably to stupid to run a business anyway.

I would like to never be your customer, with that kind of vision..
    My business in your hands, is certainly tragedy.

Hope your clients doesn't be disappointed for hear those words from you. Because if I heard those words, I would immediately ran away from you.

No thanks

• @sandoz said:

@rcy026 said:

@Zare said:

I would like to never be your customer, with that kind of vision..
    My business in your hands, is certainly tragedy.

Hope your clients doesn't be disappointed for hear those words from you. Because if I heard those words, I would immediately ran away from you.

No thanks

It's not my vision, it's my customers. I always advocate DDoS protection, but some customers do not want it because it simply costs them more then they lose if they are attacked. It's simple mathematics really, and very common in the big business world.
    If your customers are small businesses that knows nothing about IT, I'm sure you can sell them DDoS protection whether they need it or not, but if the customer is a big company with their own IT-department with hundreds of qualified IT-engineers, they will not listen to you if you try that kind of bullshit and you lose them as a customer.

• Depends on the service that I'm running. Often, I find "ddos protected" networks to be more unstable as the customers attract ddos to begin with. I'd prefer to use Cloudflare on a non ddos protected/stable network when possible.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Protection is always important.

Don't forget condoms, kids. A child with a wrong woman will ruin your life, well, at least for 18 years to pay for child support.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

SpartanHost has strong DDoS protection.
    I found that my UDP based applications aren't working properly.
    It turns out that their DDoS protection, powered by cnServers, would drop all IPv4 fragments, and also rate-limit unfragmented UDP traffic.

HTTP/3 is based on UDP.
    No high-rate UDP means I cannot serve website over HTTP/3.
    Likewise, QUIC video streaming isn't going to work.

Their IPv6 is unprotected and works very well.

Hivelocity DDoS protection doesn't limit UDP or IPv4 fragments.

As for Cloudflare, they can serve HTTP/3 to readers, but the connection to origin server is HTTP/2.
    The main optimization is that, they keep the TLS connection open, amortizing the overhead of handshakes.

Personally I don't care much about DDoS protection.
    Last time the MJJ attacked my website, I just exposed them on this forum, and they stopped after a few days.

• BinaryBinary Member, Host Rep

DDoS Protection is extremely import, not just for a singular customer.
    Most companies still run their shared (VPS, game, etc) nodes on 1GBit/s, which is easily saturated.

Simply dropping all fragments / rate limiting is not acceptable though.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@Clouvider said:

@theprotector said:
    I think it's the most important, I wasted so much money on different providers like Corero, OVH, NFO, Voxility, Cloudflare, Blazingfast and more. All these companies either null routed me because the attacks were to big on my game server or there were so many leaks that it just wasn't stable to play on. I emailed Path.net and I started using their GRE protection for my servers and their portal has filters for a lot of games and applications (I mainly use it for OpenVPN and Rust) and I've been really happy and even with their support too, they respond quick

Corero null routed you?

I'm going to take a guess and say it was the provider null routed them due to using a GRE tunnel.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@Clouvider said:

@theprotector said:
    I think it's the most important, I wasted so much money on different providers like Corero, OVH, NFO, Voxility, Cloudflare, Blazingfast and more. All these companies either null routed me because the attacks were to big on my game server or there were so many leaks that it just wasn't stable to play on. I emailed Path.net and I started using their GRE protection for my servers and their portal has filters for a lot of games and applications (I mainly use it for OpenVPN and Rust) and I've been really happy and even with their support too, they respond quick

Corero null routed you?

I'm going to take a guess and say it was the provider null routed them due to using a GRE tunnel.

i am trying to contact path.net but no response for few days ? can you tell me any other ways to contact them. i also want to apply the filters on my GameServer

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

Very important and not important at the same time.
    If you don't make huge projects then most attacks will be small, usually from kids with free booters. If that's true also in your case then its important HOW company manages to deal with DDoS.

Let say you have game server and some kid DDoS your server for 5 minutes. If AntiDDOS is too slow to respond then it will block like last minute of DDoS or they wont mitigate this at all because their system doesn't considers it as DDoS. AntiDDoS gives you nothing in that situation. I personally got this problem with big providers with big claims couple of times.
    That's why I say its "important and not important", because these big claims like 2Tb/s DDoS mitigation doesn't mean you will be free of problems.

I think support is a lot more important aspect because if they respond fast and want to help you then even this "unimpressive looking protection" can work flawlessly in real world. Good support solves majority of problems, not only with DDoS attacks.