Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS on the island of Ireland?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS on the island of Ireland?

I think I already know the answer to this but I'm posting out of sheer desperation in the hope I won't have to check into an asylum. I have a client who, how to put this politely...knows her own mind.

I'm working on a project for her and need a VPS for it. It's just simple web stuff with Wordpress - not many views per day. Technically shared hosting would be fine but as I said she knows what she wants & her friend has told her a VPS is the way to go. His email actually called it a VPL, not a VPS so that gives you an idea of his knowledge.

The issue is that she insists that it is hosted on the island of Ireland (so Northern or Republic is fine). When I initially took on the project I was going to use AWS Lightsail's Ireland region. Which is in budget and would fit her requirments perfectly. Too easy. She initially agreed to this but now she's figured out that the A in AWS stands for Amazon, she wants an alternative. She doesn't like Amazon one bit, as I now repeatedly find out everytime I have to contact her.

I've tried explaining the market to her several times, and also why having it hosted somewhere other than the bit of land she lives on is perfectly fine. She's concerned that because she has an .ie domain, it has to legally be hosted on the island. After having to hold in the laughter I explaind it doesn't but she is having none of it.

Her argument with regard to all other prices being higher the Amazon's is "if Amazon can do it, so can everyone else" and she won't accept she's wrong. I'm losing the battle and will to live.

So my question is, does anyone know of any low-end providers with Republic of Ireland/Northern Ireland locations please?

Something along the lines of 25GB SSD, 1 CPU, 1 or 2GB Ram will be fine. Email is hosted elsewhere so it is just for wordpress. Her budget is around £5 per month, so about $7 or €6. She can go up a little bit. As I say, I'm not expecting to find anything but really hoping there's a provider I don't know about.

Thanks

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint Logano

Comments

• "Geolocating your IPs in Ireland"
    Heh, will never know the difference. ;)
    (MTR, cough)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Host it on EntryBytes Netherlands, and tell her it's in Ireland.
    If she looks at geolocation, tell her MaxMind is wrong.
    She's too dumb to figure out traceroute.

Charge $6 still, and you can pocket the difference to buy stuff on Amazon.

Thanked by 3chrisp seriesn eingress
  • Thanks, although OVH say 'Ireland' on the landing page, the data centre location is actually London when you go to order it. She'd probably spot that if it was on an invoice and I don't want to lie to her .

• The infamous Oneprovider offer Dublin.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited April 2021

Just FYI; I have a long-standing IE client (both Wordpress/Woocommerce and other e-commerce) on OVH London and not even bothered about geolocating. ;)

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Envida said:

Thanks, although OVH say 'Ireland' on the landing page, the data centre location is actually London when you go to order it. She'd probably spot that if it was on an invoice and I don't want to lie to her .

how is she paying you enough to do this?

• @yoursunny said:
    Host it on EntryBytes Netherlands, and tell her it's in Ireland.
    If she looks at geolocation, tell her MaxMind is wrong.
    She's too dumb to figure out traceroute.

Charge $6 still, and you can pocket the difference to buy stuff on Amazon.

It's scary what she knows, I'm convinced she's actually a witch. there's times she's mentioned things in emails that I hadn't mentioned to her yet, so she'd find out somehow.

• @skorupion said:

@Envida said:

Thanks, although OVH say 'Ireland' on the landing page, the data centre location is actually London when you go to order it. She'd probably spot that if it was on an invoice and I don't want to lie to her .

how is she paying you enough to do this?

She isn't now. It was supposed to be one of those straight forward jobs. I just didn't know what she was like to work with, she is lovely other than this so I don't really want to upset her, plus I could get other work out of it. She's involved in her local business community.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Just FYI; I have a long-standing IE client (both Wordpress/Woocommerce and other e-commerce) on OVH London and not even bothered about geolocating. ;)

I could try the geo-location thing. If she sees Dublin there, she may go for it. I'll run it by her if nothing comes up.

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • Doesn't sell baby clothes, by any chance?

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Dediserv have VPS in Dublin but they're not LowEnd in terms of pricing.

• @OsirisBlack said:
    The infamous Oneprovider offer Dublin.

***Cough.....cheap

• EnvidaEnvida Member
    edited April 2021

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Doesn't sell baby clothes, by any chance?

No, she "provides a network for crafters in the region to connect and collaborate". In other words people make shit from wood and fabric and she works out how they can sell it.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint MannDude
  • stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

Never used them but AccuWeb hosting have VPS in Ireland that are just above the region of your budget.

• EnvidaEnvida Member
    edited April 2021

@stratagem said:
    Never used them but AccuWeb hosting have VPS in Ireland that are in the region of your budget.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

• I use DediServe in Ireland, its pretty good. If you dig deep enough on LET - theres a really old discount that actually still works (can't remember where I found it though).

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • acroservers.com at 512MB for €5

• Gonna have a bit of fun running WP in less than 1GB RAM, I reckon.
    Another advantage with OVH is that you could have a dedicated IP for the client (specifically geo-located, perhaps) for very little cost.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Gonna have a bit of fun running WP in less than 1GB RAM, I reckon.
    Another advantage with OVH is that you could have a dedicated IP for the client (specifically geo-located, perhaps) for very little cost.

Serverwala $6/mo for 1GB if paid yearly. Probably oversold but whatever ticks the box.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited April 2021

Serverwala:

Ireland - A Server in Bend, Oregon

Go figure. :|
    Does route via Dublin1.Level3.net though. :)

• LeeLee Veteran

@NobodyInteresting said: I use > DediServe in Ireland, its pretty good. If you dig deep enough on LET - theres a really old > discount that actually still works (can't remember where I found it though).

I have been looking for a discount for them, but can't find one that still works. Anyone else know of one that still works?

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Serverwala:

Serverwala looks very legit. Especially their geography skills are very convincing.

• tetechtetech Member
    edited April 2021

@salakis said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Serverwala:

Serverwala looks very legit. Especially their geography skills are very convincing.

:smiley:

They do provide VPS service (KVM/Virtualizor) but are one of those that post fake reviews and annoying SEO stuff all over the place to promote themselves. Ugh. No idea about the service itself - 50% steal or what. But they do provide something in Ireland.

• https://www.servebyte.com/VPS starts at 15 Euro per month.

https://www.letshost.ie/vps/ starts at 20 a month.

Don't think you'll find anything cheaper that is really Irish and from Ireland...

Then you have cloudsigma starting at 16 and cloudean start at ~ 22 Euros for their Dublin nodes but those are multi-location providers.

• They got India right. ;)

Thanked by 1Logano
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2021

We do have a LET special for 1GB VPS:
    1GB Memory
    10GB SSD
    1 vCore CPU
    2TB Bandwidth
    Based in London, GB (close to Ireland)
    £15 per 6 months

• @Envida No update? Do tell.. go on, go on, go on.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited April 2021

Fire the client. Sleep peacefully.

@serverwala must smoke some low quality weed (or maybe the real good stiff?) to have a map like that

Thanked by 1stdeyna
  • @OsirisBlack said:
    The infamous Oneprovider offer Dublin.

What about using their cheapest $3 VPS as a reverse proxy and running the actual website on a VPS or shared hosting elsewhere in Europe?

Personally, I wouldn't like the idea of having to manage two servers but well...