Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A new billing system
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A new billing system

TejyTejy Member
edited April 2021 in General

Hello,
As WHMCS is currently rising prices, and all other systems have an old UX/UI, there is no current modern and low-priced solution on the market.
I'm currently planning to create a new billing system based on a React front end, and with a Go backend.
I'm currently thinking about what are the must-have features on the first release.
Feel free to drop out your ideas below.
FYI: It will be a self-hosted solution.

Thanked by 1o_be_one

Comments

• Do you have prior experience developing such systems?

• TejyTejy Member

@alexvolk said:
    Do you have prior experience developing such systems?

I will be the front-end developer, and my partner will take care of the backend part.
    Her experience as a DevOps from another cloud company, will be pretty helpful.

• LeeLee Veteran

Yawn.

Thanked by 1lonea
  • core process for billing system i guess, others are bonus

• @Tejy said: Go backend.

Bad choice, since Go doesn't support dynamic module loading without which you can't have extensions. Try NodeJS or Python, maybe.

• TejyTejy Member

@stevewatson301 said:

@Tejy said: Go backend.

Bad choice, since Go doesn't support dynamic module loading without which you can't have extensions. Try NodeJS or Python, maybe.

We chose Golang for its speed of execution, and the numerous SDKs (Proxmox, Paypal, Stripe, etc). But, thanks for your feedback. It will talk more about that with my partner.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@Tejy said:
    As WHMCS is currently rising prices, and all other systems have an old UX/UI, there is no current modern and low-priced solution on the market.

So you are judging other billing platforms on their UX/UI? Get a theme.

• TejyTejy Member
    edited April 2021

@armandorg said:

@Tejy said:

So you are judging other billing platforms on their UX/UI? Get a theme.

No, not at all, WHMCS can be suitable for some needs.

But even with a theme, you won't get a modern user experience.
    Also, modern technologies (even in front-end) is such a pleasure to use for customers.

@Tejy said:

I'm sorry, i'm confused. What??

You can technically transform billing platforms such as Blesta that won't be easy but gives you 100% freedom to do whatever you have in mind with it.

Also another reason why WHMCS might be called 'modern', wasn't because of the basic 'six' or 'twenty-one' theme provided by them, they are as basic as 'bootstrap' theme on Blesta but the wide-community & marketplace popularity gave you a lot of options to choose regarding plugins/themes/extensions... more than Blesta's marketplace for example.

I find it non-sense saying i'll go ahead and build up another billing platform because the existings ones are failing/bad due to their shit UX/UI.

If this is your goal, to achieve a better looking billing platform, i don't think you'll have a long road with your project.

• TejyTejy Member

@armandorg said:

@Tejy said:

You can technically transform billing platforms such as Blesta that won't be easy but gives you 100% freedom to do whatever you have in mind with it.

Also another reason why WHMCS might be called 'modern', wasn't because of the basic 'six' or 'twenty-one' theme provided by them, they are as basic as 'bootstrap' theme on Blesta but the wide-community & marketplace popularity gave you a lot of options to choose regarding plugins/themes/extensions... more than Blesta's marketplace for example.

I find it non-sense saying i'll go ahead and build up another billing platform because the existings ones are failing/bad due to their shit UX/UI.

If this is your goal, to achieve a better looking billing platform, i don't think you'll have a long road with your project.

I'm telling that their default/basic UI/UX no longer fits to LE customers.
    Multiple panels, complex UI, nonsense features, etc.

A customer will choose Hetzner Cloud rather than a random provider with Blesta + Proxmox (with a complex shopping tunnel, and a need to login on a third party panel etc).

Again, Blesta and WHMCS still fits to some customers but when you see @fleio all-in-one solution that's amazing. Focus on customer experience.

edited April 2021

@Tejy said:

@armandorg said:

@Tejy said:

A customer will choose Hetzner Cloud rather than a random provider with Blesta + Proxmox (with a complex shopping tunnel, and a need to login on a third party panel etc).

Again, Blesta and WHMCS still fits to some customers but when you see @fleio all-in-one solution that's amazing. Focus on customer experience.

Actually i see @fleio ugly compared to blesta and whmcs basic themes. Matter of preferetion to the users.

And also WHMCS/Blesta basic theme fits very well to a lot of users i’ve seen on the forums who do not wish ti go with a custom design but would rather would stick to that one. And those who don’t like it and need just a more ‘modernized UX/UI’ , go and hire a designer or buy a premade theme, easy as that.

I don’t really see your point on creating a new billing platform, mostly because of bad ‘UX/UI’ in current ones.

Anyways, good luck

• LeviLevi Member

When 98% of PoC will be made - call us. Than we will discuss. In the mean time - a waste of time.

• A fake new billing system that doesn't exist has become a debate about UX/UI and designing. How could anyone not love LET?

(c) @default

• TejyTejy Member

@armandorg said:

@Tejy said:

@armandorg said:

@Tejy said:

Actually i see @fleio ugly compared to blesta and whmcs basic themes. Matter of preferetion to the users.

And also WHMCS/Blesta basic theme fits very well to a lot of users i’ve seen on the forums who do not wish ti go with a custom design but would rather would stick to that one. And those who don’t like it and need just a more ‘modernized UX/UI’ , go and hire a designer or buy a premade theme, easy as that.

I don’t really see your point on creating a new billing platform, mostly because of bad ‘UX/UI’ in current ones.

Anyways, good luck

Of course, user experience isn't the only reason, but thanks anyway for your pov.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@Tejy said:
    Hello,
    I'm currently planning to create a new billing system based on a React front end, and with a Go backend.
    I'm currently thinking about what are the must-have features on the first release.
    Feel free to drop out your ideas below.
    FYI: It will be a self-hosted solution.

Frankly speaking everyone loves money
    If your billing system get good reputation and thousands of clients, and an investor offer you a multi million dollar deal. I'm sure you will not refuse.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Just in case some people are not aware,

Art is subjective. And I consider UI an art.

• any opensource web hosting billing is Welcome.

• @deank said: And I consider UI an Fart

Fixed that for you

• someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep

It should actually fulfill basic needs.. deployment, support, affordability, etc etc

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

LOL, any billing system for targeted to web hosts and not developed in PHP/MySQL is deemed to fail.

It's like coding something in RoR, yea it's cool but nobody want to deal with RoR.

GoLang? LOL

Seems like you don't have any working experience with working with web hosts.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • as i seen, most of the provider and resellers use cPanel.
    How your billing system work on their cPanel with go backend?

PHP will be better choice sir. Even Python won't be suggested because Some servers doesn't have Python.

PHP/MySQL are everywhere, if you install cPanel then PHP MySQL will be installed, if plesk then also installed, directadmin also installed.
    so your billing system can work without need of more installations. resellers can also use simply.