Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

L2TP/IPSec VPN with public IP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

L2TP/IPSec VPN with public IP?

nitro93nitro93 Member
edited April 2021 in Help

Hi all,

I currently have a L2TP/IPsec VPN set up on my VPS which works and connects fine.
However, at the moment the VPN is issuing a local IP address (192.168.4.10) to the client rather than the public IPv4

Does anyone know of a way that I can get the VPN to issue the client with the public IPv4 address and bypass the LAN?

L2TPD.conf currently looks like this:

[global]
port = 1701

[lns default]
ip range = 192.168.42.10-192.168.42.250
local ip = 192.168.42.1
require chap = yes
refuse pap = yes
require authentication = yes
name = l2tpd
pppoptfile = /etc/ppp/options.xl2tpd
length bit = yes

The client is being issued with a LAN IP of 192.168.42.10.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• the configuration looks fine.
    and yes, client will obtain ip address from that pool.

It would be good if you tell us what you're trying to do with the L2TP.

• @blackhiden said:
    the configuration looks fine.
    and yes, client will obtain ip address from that pool.

It would be good if you tell us what you're trying to do with the L2TP.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm looking to essentially set up a tunnel to provide myself with a static IP address, but I don't want to encounter any issues with double natting etc.

For context, this is for use on a mobile broadband connection where the carrier uses CGNAT. The plan is to bypass this via an L2TP tunnel.

• If you want to provide your computer a public connection through server, you still have to insert nat twice (aka double natting). at the end, you can use your server's static ip address