Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup Easter Egg Hunt - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup Easter Egg Hunt

Comments

• BBTNBBTN Member

@wuck said:

@BBTN said:
    YABS of a "RS Ostern M OST21" anyone? <3 @Falzo

There you go
    https://pastebin.com/nfxe24n7

Thank you! Shall I upgrade this time... I'm so bad at deciding...

https://pastebin.com/s1wy3W5X (Adv17 RS 1000 Plus @ €8,99)

(Server is 96% idle. :D)

• pbxpbx Member

@benj0x said:

The steal on their VPS series can be up to 60% per core and they (the support) don't even care. Rootservers stay below 3% at max.

Interesting, thanks. Never saw more than 20% steal time and it was on a special deal, the VPS I have with them that is more on par with their "normal" offering is oscillating between 0 and 3%

@angstrom said: It really depends on your use case and what you want/need.

You're right. I always had good performance and never had to deal with a node with 60% steal time: as I experienced it their VPS nodes are perfect for my use case. I'll see how it evolves as time passes.

It seems that the main factor with the performance of their VPS line is who the "neighbors" on the node are and what they use their VPS for (as the CPU isn't capped if you use more than a ridiculously low percentage), while you have great performance even with heavy users as neighbors on the RS line. So far I can't complain though, from my experience the VPS line provides awesome performance and stability for the price.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@BBTN said:

@wuck said:

@BBTN said:
    YABS of a "RS Ostern M OST21" anyone? <3 @Falzo

There you go
    https://pastebin.com/nfxe24n7

Thank you! Shall I upgrade this time... I'm so bad at deciding...

https://pastebin.com/s1wy3W5X (Adv17 RS 1000 Plus @ €8,99)

(Server is 96% idle. :D)

you'd get double the RAM and much more SSD for slightly more money. yes, I'd change. I think the RS M has the best value this time. and maybe the VPS L ;-)

Thanked by 1BBTN
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited April 2021

@Falzo said: double the RAM and much more SSD for slightly more money. yes, I'd change.

Yes but only 4 dediziert EPYC cores, while he has 6 E5-2680 v4. CPU-wise it's not going to be better (not that worse either, but keep in mind that it's more expensive).

@BBTN I'd say it depends what your needs are, and if you could find a good use for extra SSD space and RAM. If yes, the RS M is really nice, as @Falzo said.

If not, keep the one you currently have, unless you already have too much resources: if that's the case you can consider downgrading to a VPS Osten M to save a few bucks...

Thanked by 2angstrom BBTN
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@pbx said: If not, keep the one you currently have, unless you already have too much resources: if that's the case you can consider downgrading to a VPS Osten M to save a few bucks...

Unless one wants the flexibility of being able to cancel at any time, which is the case with VPS Ostern M (4,32€/m), I think that VPS Ostern L (4,56€/m) is a much better deal, but the problem is that it may be sold out by now. :/

(VPS Ostern L has the same specs as a BF promotion that I have -- a great deal.)

Thanked by 2pbx BBTN
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited April 2021

@angstrom said: VPS Ostern L (4,56€/m) is a much better deal

What are the specs of this one? Like VPS 1000 G9 while VPS Ostern M is VPS 500 G8?

If that's the case indeed, my mistake this one is the best deal (2 cores / 8GB RAM / 160 GB SSD). Totally worth the extra cents, as more RAM & more SSD space is very nice for caching, which can - in many cases and with the right configs - compensate the fact that it's from their VPS line and has only two cores...

@pbx said:

@angstrom said: VPS Ostern L (4,56€/m) is a much better deal

What are the specs of this one? Like VPS 1000 G9 while VPS Ostern M is VPS 500 G8?

If that's the case indeed, my mistake this one is the best deal (2 cores / 8GB RAM / 160 GB SSD).

Yes, to summarize the differences:

VPS Ostern M OST21 (equivalent to VPS 500 G8)
    2 vCores
    4 GB RAM
    40 GB SSD
    40 TB Traffic ungedrosselt
    4,32€ pro Monat
    Mindestvertragslaufzeit 0 Monat
    Abrechnungsperiode 12 Monate

VPS Ostern L OST21 (equivalent to VPS 1000 G9)
    2 vCores
    8 GB RAM
    160 GB SSD
    80 TB Traffic ungedrosselt
    4,56€ pro Monat
    Mindestvertragslaufzeit 12 Monate
    Abrechnungsperiode 12 Monate

Given how close the two prices are, we can conclude that one pays a lot for the flexibility of having a contract of 0 months (which is a real flexibility if one wants/needs it).

Otherwise (if one is happy with a 12-month contract), VPS Ostern L is a much better deal.

(But as I said above, VPS Ostern L may be sold out by now, and it was rare even on the first few days of the promotion.)

Thanked by 1pbx
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited April 2021

@angstrom said: Otherwise (if one is happy with a 12-month contract), VPS Ostern L is a much better deal.

Exactly. It was available few weeks ago with no 12 month contract (on https://www.netcup-sonderangebote.de/). That being said IMO a 12 Month contract is not a problem as it's easy to transfer the server to another user when not needed anymore; and Netcup appears to be one of the best long term choices, one of the right place to settle down and stop hopping from provider to provider :wink:.

Thanked by 1angstrom

@pbx said:

@angstrom said: Otherwise (if one is happy with a 12-month contract), VPS Ostern L is a much better deal.

Exactly. It was available few weeks ago with no 12 month contract (on https://www.netcup-sonderangebote.de/).

Yes, I remember that promotion (VPS 1000 G9 WSV21 for 4,55€/m), but I'm almost completely certain that it had a 12-month contract as well -- I remember checking this. :)

(The only way to settle this now would be to find the original page with the details, or to find someone who bought it and they could check in the billing panel. :) )

That being said IMO a 12 Month contract is not a problem as it's easy to transfer the server to another user when not needed anymore; and Netcup appears to be one of the best long term choices, one of the right place to settle down and stop hopping from provider to provider :wink:.

Yes, although I find it hard not to have VPSes at a few other providers as well. :)

Thanked by 1pbx
  • pbxpbx Member

@angstrom said: find someone who bought it and they could check in the billing panel.

Payment is 12 month in advance but no minimum contract. Current deal is great as well, though!

Fee/month (standard): 4,55 € (Includes DE statutory VAT .)
    Minimum contractual term: 0 Months
    Accounting period: all 12 months in advance

@angstrom said: Yes, although I find it hard not to have VPSes at a few other providers as well.

I'm with you there. Biggest problem still hanging out on let: too many tempting offers from a bunch of great providers! :wink:

Thanked by 2angstrom BBTN

@pbx said:

@angstrom said: find someone who bought it and they could check in the billing panel.

Payment is 12 month in advance but no minimum contract. Current deal is great as well, though!

Fee/month (standard): 4,55 € (Includes DE statutory VAT .)
    Minimum contractual term: 0 Months
    Accounting period: all 12 months in advance

Okay, fair enough, I must have misremembered! That was indeed an exceptional deal (but it sold out quickly).

@angstrom said: Yes, although I find it hard not to have VPSes at a few other providers as well.

I'm with you there. Biggest problem still hanging out on let: too many tempting offers from a bunch of great providers! :wink:

Yes, I know the temptation, but this year I'm trying extra hard to resist (given that I already have a number of VPSes). :)

Thanked by 1pbx
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited April 2021

@angstrom said: that was indeed an exceptional deal (but it sold out quickly).

Yes, but yearly contracts aren't a problem if you know that you'll need/use the VPS for a while and trust the company to provide decent service for months/years to come.

Hourly billing or no minimum contract is nice for some use cases, but for a stable place where to host on the long run, a longer contract is far from being a problem (and most good deals on LET imply yearly payment and no money back, anyway)!

I try to avoid having too many idling VMs as well. That's also something positive in having a bit too much RAM on a decent VPS/RS: knowing that you can start an LXC container when needed, you can get rid of a couple of shitty VMs elsewhere :smile:!

• FalzoFalzo Member

oh lord, our daily dose of VPS Ostern L benchmark give us now:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-29                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Fri Apr  9 11:25:17 CEST 2021

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores  : 2 @ 1996.250 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 7.8 GiB
    Swap       : 2.0 GiB
    Disk       : 155.4 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 36.99 MB/s    (9.2k) | 526.06 MB/s   (8.2k)
    Write      | 37.09 MB/s    (9.2k) | 528.83 MB/s   (8.2k)
    Total      | 74.08 MB/s   (18.5k) | 1.05 GB/s    (16.4k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 1.62 GB/s     (3.1k) | 1.39 GB/s     (1.3k)
    Write      | 1.71 GB/s     (3.3k) | 1.49 GB/s     (1.4k)
    Total      | 3.33 GB/s     (6.5k) | 2.89 GB/s     (2.8k)

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 488                           
    Multi Core      | 626                           
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7340086

CPU could be better, but it matches what I can see on other 2core VPS, probably just about the average you can expect from it at that price point. feels snappy, lots of ssd space and traffic.
    as said above IMHO only RS M is an even better offer (if you have that budget though)...

Thanked by 3pbx angstrom dragonfsky
  • BBTNBBTN Member

@pbx said:

@Falzo said: double the RAM and much more SSD for slightly more money. yes, I'd change.

Yes but only 4 dediziert EPYC cores, while he has 6 E5-2680 v4. CPU-wise it's not going to be better (not that worse either, but keep in mind that it's more expensive).

@BBTN I'd say it depends what your needs are, and if you could find a good use for extra SSD space and RAM. If yes, the RS M is really nice, as @Falzo said.

The extra (and faster) SSD space is the only thing I'll really need within the next year or two. But I also can wait, got about 20% free space left. - Otherwise I'm still going with "only" 1gbit/s instead of 2.5 as the actual offers. - I'm still resisting. :D

Thanked by 2Falzo pbx
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@BBTN said:

@pbx said:

The extra (and faster) SSD space is the only thing I'll really need within the next year or two. But I also can wait, got about 20% free space left. - Otherwise I'm still going with "only" 1gbit/s instead of 2.5 as the actual offers. - I'm still resisting. :D

you know... if cpu performance isn't so important, then probably the VPS Ostern XL is for you :-P
    still 4 core, but shared and surely a lot weaker than what you have right now. but 10G RAM and 240G ssd space for less than what you pay right now.

so much options and you know you want 'em all ^^

Thanked by 2pbx BBTN
  • BBTNBBTN Member

@Falzo said:
    so much options and you know you want 'em all ^^

THIS! and

@pbx said:
    I'm with you there. Biggest problem still hanging out on let: too many tempting offers from a bunch of great providers!

so much of THIS! o:)

Thanked by 2pbx Falzo
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited April 2021

@Falzo said: CPU could be better

Is your performance better now? This makes me curious as I get better CPU performance on my similar VPS (but different promo), and it's been stable since I bought it [geekbench is run from within an LXD guest]:

Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 739                           
    Multi Core      | 1207                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7377858

I'd like to know more as that would tell us what can be expected from these AMD based VPSs and how wise (or not) it is to chose these vs a RS. You said that your bench "matches what I can see on other 2core VPS", did you mean with Netcup or more generally?

If other folks have a VPS Ostern L / VPS 1000 G9: any geekbench / yabs you could share? Thank you :smile:

• FalzoFalzo Member

@pbx said: Is your performance better now?

no, nothing changed. still 450-480 single / 620-660 multi. as said before this matches one older G8/xeon 2core vps.

of course I would have liked it more, if it had stayed closer to the initial result, but I guess you can't have everything 🤷‍♂️
    for my usecase these numbers are totally fine anyway and the RAM+SSD upgrade was already totally worth it.

to be fair I don't expect it to get better very fast. it's 12 months contracts so won't be much dropout very soon. maybe they catch a few abuser if there then are some complaints coming in. but the nodes will be packed for a while and who knows what crapton of shitload the neighbours are running.

it seems to be somehow balanced though, as the performance does not degrade any further, no matter the times I run the benchmark. will keep an eye on it for a bit longer anyway...

Thanked by 1pbx
  • bobebobe Member

hello
    netcup RS Fast Rabbit OST21 Root-Server 39,99 €
    Already bought one, now need two machines, deliberately seeking to buy one
    ths

• @bobe said:
    hello
    netcup RS Fast Rabbit OST21 Root-Server 39,99 €
    Already bought one, now need two machines, deliberately seeking to buy one
    ths

On pure curiosity, what do you run on those beasts?

• bobebobe Member

Data Programs

• FalzoFalzo Member

@bobe said:
    Data Programs

lol... good luck though. maybe try their forums, I think they do have a market place...

• bobebobe Member

ths

• pbxpbx Member
    edited April 2021

@Falzo said: as said before this matches one older G8/xeon 2core vps

Yeah but as you say it's an older CPU, that's why I'd have expected more. You're probably on a very busy node!

@bobe said: netcup RS Fast Rabbit OST21 Root-Server 39,99 € Already bought one, now need two machines, deliberately seeking to buy one

Not impossible that an impulse buyer gets back to you in the coming days. Good luck! Why didn't you grab a second one yesterday, when they were still available?

• bobebobe Member

Only a few hours ago the technician told me that two machines were needed, and I was angry about it

Thanked by 1pbx

@Falzo said:

oh lord, our daily dose of VPS Ostern L benchmark give us now:

> #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    > #                     v2020-12-29                    #
    > # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    > # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    > 
    > Fri Apr  9 11:25:17 CEST 2021
    > 
    > Basic System Information:
    > ---------------------------------
    > Processor  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    > CPU cores  : 2 @ 1996.250 MHz
    > AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    > VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    > RAM        : 7.8 GiB
    > Swap       : 2.0 GiB
    > Disk       : 155.4 GiB
    > 
    > fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    > Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    >   ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    > Read       | 36.99 MB/s    (9.2k) | 526.06 MB/s   (8.2k)
    > Write      | 37.09 MB/s    (9.2k) | 528.83 MB/s   (8.2k)
    > Total      | 74.08 MB/s   (18.5k) | 1.05 GB/s    (16.4k)
    >            |                      |
    > Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    >   ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    > Read       | 1.62 GB/s     (3.1k) | 1.39 GB/s     (1.3k)
    > Write      | 1.71 GB/s     (3.3k) | 1.49 GB/s     (1.4k)
    > Total      | 3.33 GB/s     (6.5k) | 2.89 GB/s     (2.8k)
    > 
    > Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    > Test            | Value                         
    >                 |                               
    > Single Core     | 488                           
    > Multi Core      | 626                           
    > Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7340086
    > 

CPU could be better, but it matches what I can see on other 2core VPS, probably just about the average you can expect from it at that price point. feels snappy, lots of ssd space and traffic.
    as said above IMHO only RS M is an even better offer (if you have that budget though)...

For comparison, I've just run a fresh YABS on my VPS 1000 G9 BF20 (skipping the network performance test), which has the same specs as VPS Ostern L OST21 -- see below.

@Falzo , indeed, it looks like you're on a busy node (or the server was especially busy at that moment).

#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-29                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Tue 13 Apr 2021 06:12:45 PM CEST

Basic System Information:
    Processor  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores  : 2 @ 1996.248 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 7.8 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 157.4 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 57.67 MB/s   (14.4k) | 737.27 MB/s  (11.5k)
    Write      | 57.75 MB/s   (14.4k) | 741.15 MB/s  (11.5k)
    Total      | 115.43 MB/s  (28.8k) | 1.47 GB/s    (23.0k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 2.90 GB/s     (5.6k) | 2.95 GB/s     (2.8k)
    Write      | 3.05 GB/s     (5.9k) | 3.15 GB/s     (3.0k)
    Total      | 5.95 GB/s    (11.6k) | 6.11 GB/s     (5.9k)

Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 746
    Multi Core      | 1158
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7402776

Thanked by 2Falzo pbx
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@angstrom said: @Falzo , indeed, it looks like you're on a busy node (or the server was especially busy at that moment).

yeah busy node, probably just unlucky then I guess.
    assuming a shitload of noisy neighbours trying mining crap or torrenting the hell out of it until they get caught.

I am not complaining though, as mentioned before it seems to be balanced in a way and the numbers I am seeing are constant, so I can take this as somewhat guarantued.
    also my old 2c BF19 VPS had comparable cpu bench even though that was intel, I am not losing out on anything here most of the 'better performance' would idle only anyway 🤷‍♂️

still benching every other day out of curiosity, but not really expecting it to increase any time soon. I even thought a moment about trying their support for the first time and put in a ticket requesting a node change, but nah... in the end I don't really give a f*ck.

Thanked by 2pbx angstrom
  • pbxpbx Member

@angstrom said: For comparison, I've just run a fresh YABS on my VPS 1000 G9 BF20 (skipping the network performance test), which has the same specs as VPS Ostern L OST21 -- see below.

Thanks. Similar to what I have on my VPS 1000 G9 WSV21. So we can assume that @Falzo results don't necessarily represent the whole VPS branch.

@Falzo said: still benching every other day out of curiosity, but not really expecting it to increase any time soon. I even thought a moment about trying their support for the first time and put in a ticket requesting a node change, but nah... in the end I don't really give a f*ck.

You're right, more idling power isn't always a necessity! It can change in the future, if the heavy users move to a RS or another provider... Anyway if that's the worst case scenario, that's no big deal, these is enough CPU power for most tasks and a freaking lot of iops on this VPS!

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@pbx said: Anyway if that's the worst case scenario, that's no big deal, these is enough CPU power for most tasks and a freaking lot of iops on this VPS!

exactly. the most interesting part in that deal was the size and speed of storage provided. I tend to panic when I have less than 50% free, so 40->160 is a nice upgrade for about 1€ more ;-)

Thanked by 1pbx

@Falzo said: I am not complaining though, as mentioned before it seems to be balanced in a way and the numbers I am seeing are constant, so I can take this as somewhat guarantued.

Yeah, I mean, the scores aren't abnormally low, and there's a consistency that suggests some sort of balancing, so it's not so bad (and may improve with time if there are abusers who they catch). :)

Thanked by 1pbx