Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Install and Configure VNC Server on Ubuntu?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to Install and Configure VNC Server on Ubuntu?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone suggest me on how to install and configure VNC Server on Ubuntu?
Or Do you think SSH is enough for me to manage my server?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• @lucas01 said:

I don't know, you tell us. It's your server.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • zhizhi Member

How to google?

• Where's the tutorial?

• i want to say : congrats for your third posting :)

• @Ganonk said:
    i want to say : congrats for your third posting :)

Oh, Thanks! :)

• The problem is, all those VNC tutorials are garbage because VNC is a red headed step child that sucks.

Fucking X sessions and window manager shit makes all those tutorials non-specific or too specific to particular setup.

Back in an earlier Ubuntu, you had like one click to enable remote access and some obscure command to do encrypted password. Then Ubuntu took that out and it's been shit ever since.

Just install Teamviewer.

Thanked by 1lucas01
  • @TimboJones said:
    Just install Teamviewer.

TeamViewer on headless machine? and how do you propose to retrieve username and password of headless machine TeamViewer app?

• !/bin/bash

apt-get update
    apt-get -y upgrade
    apt-get -y install xorg lxde-core vnc4server firefox
    vnc4server
    vnc4server -kill :1
    echo "lxterminal &" >> /root/.vnc/xstartup
    echo "/usr/bin/lxsession -s LXDE &" >> /root/.vnc/xstartup
    vnc4server

Thanked by 1lucas01
  • FreeBSD with shebang in scripts, please.

• @Merlincool said:

@TimboJones said:
    Just install Teamviewer.

TeamViewer on headless machine? and how do you propose to retrieve username and password of headless machine TeamViewer app?

It sounds like you don't know what a VNC server is for or else you'd understand why your question doesn't make sense.

If its headless, you'd manage it over SSH. This topic isn't talking about headless and not sure where you got that impression.

• @lucas01 said:
    Hi everyone,

Can anyone suggest me on how to install and configure VNC Server on Ubuntu?

Thanks. :)

sudo apt update

sudo apt install xfce4 xfce4-goodies

sudo apt install tightvncserver

vncserver

You will require a password to access your desktops.

Password:
    Verify:

The password must be between six and eight characters long. Passwords more than 8 characters will be truncated automatically.

Once you verify the password, you’ll have the option to create a view-only password. Users who log in with the view-only password will not be able to control the VNC instance with their mouse or keyboard. This is a helpful option if you want to demonstrate something to other people using your VNC server, but this isn’t required.

The process then creates the necessary default configuration files and connection information for the server. Additionally, it launches a default server instance on port 5901. This port is called a display port, and is referred to by VNC as :1. VNC can launch multiple instances on other display ports, with :2 referring to port 5902, :3 referring to 5903, and so on:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-vnc-on-ubuntu-20-04

Thanked by 1lucas01