Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crypto - Specifically Bitcoin
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crypto - Specifically Bitcoin

Crypto is too complicated IMO.

For years I have been looking to get into Bitcoin but there is a bit of a barrier to entry, IMO too much reading required. (Compare to Paypal for example. You need an email and a credit/debit card)

What is the simplest way to buy this thing and pay for something with it. I would prefer to be able to buy it with Paypal but I would be willing to use a credit card on a trusted site. Speaking of trusted sites, don't most of them get hacked?

Also are there still with ridiculously high transaction fees so its not useful for small payments?

Who can point me in the right direction?

TL;DR
I want to use Bitcoin on a platform easy and secure like Paypal.

Comments

• yes transaction fees are still high, there's alt coins that don't have that issue though, coinbase.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited April 2021

Your post indicates you want to use BTC, but it also indicates you do not want to use BTC.

What is your purpose for wanting to use Bitcoin?

I use Coinbase (affiliate / non affiliate) which has the easy to use UI.

Yes, there are ridiculously high fees and yes even trusted sites get hacked. If you buy enough that your heart would be broken if you lost it then you need to store it locally.

P.S. PayPal might actually be the platform you're looking for, when they expand to offer Crypto in more countries.

Maybe even cash.app if they're offering crypto in your area.

Affiliate benefits are £7.23 in free Bitcoin when you buy or sell £72.30 worth.

• trycatchthistrycatchthis Member
    edited April 2021

What are the transaction fees like currently and why? I'm guessing high transaction fees could indicate some kind of design flaw? Maybe the problem exists because it was the first crypto but since Ethereum came out that fixed some of the problems that were discovered with Bitcoin.

I want to use it but the problems are:
    1. Need to do too much reading to understand it
    2. Security is an issue. Seems all the exchanges get hacked and every malware is looking to steal your crypto
    3. Seems not to be useful for small transactions

Beside those and other problems I definitely want to use Bitcoin and Ethereum though.

Is it just me or did anyone else think Crypto is way too complicated?

• bitcoin is the future.

• CashApp or PayPal if you want to use it as a currency. Coinbase or Kraken for trading.

• @trycatchthis said: Maybe the problem exists because it was the first crypto but since Ethereum came out that fixed some of the problems that were discovered with Bitcoin.

Basically.

Youtubers I watch compare Bitcoin to gold (a store of value) and Ethereum to dollar (a used and traded currency)

• Ethereum is the one used for buying things like domain names that cost 99cent on sale, and Bitcoin is what to use as a speculative at best investment?

• Where is the best place to buy Bitcoin?
    Where is the best place to buy Ethereum?

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

https://www.binance.com/en It's a wallet and a crypto exchange at the same time. Very secure and reliable.

Has a lot of coins, i would say around 80% of them.

• @armandorg said:
    https://www.binance.com/en It's a wallet and a crypto exchange at the same time. Very secure and reliable.

Link missing colon :

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@trycatchthis said:

@armandorg said:

Link missing colon :

Ups! Fixed

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I've found bittrex best for trading, but wirexapp easier for using.

• trycatchthistrycatchthis Member
    edited April 2021

If I wanted to buy LTC with a credit/debit card assuming I already have a wallet, where would be the best place to buy?

I'm now looking at LTC because transaction fees for BTC and ETH are ridiculous.

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

@trycatchthis said:
    Where is the best place to buy Bitcoin?
    Where is the best place to buy Ethereum?

I advise you

• Binance (low fees, easy to use)
    • Coinbase (high fees, very user friendly interface)
    • Coinbase pro ( very low fees, very good user friendly interface) < This is used for trading but you can buy crypto on it with a low fees and move to Coinbase normal account without any fees!
  • ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2021

Pro tip. It's a ponzi like everything else in this world. Don't buy it, unless you get virus on your pc demanding it

Thanked by 1Adam1
  • @ezeth said:
    Pro tip. It's a ponzi like everything else in this world. Don't buy it, unless you get virus on your pc demanding it

It may be a ponzi. But it has value as a medium of exchange.

• Everything is a ponzi scheme. But you can speculate until you die.

• Is the answer to this still binance?

• I would avoid exchanges altogether if possible. I'd use XMR because the transaction fees are around 1 cent, and it's private, even if you pay someone real money to get it.

Thanked by 2MannDude evergreen
  • @KuKluxKlab said:
    I would avoid exchanges altogether if possible. I'd use XMR because the transaction fees are around 1 cent, and it's private, even if you pay someone real money to get it.

What the fuck is XMR can you link? Am I supposed to know?

• @trycatchthis said:

@KuKluxKlab said:
    I would avoid exchanges altogether if possible. I'd use XMR because the transaction fees are around 1 cent, and it's private, even if you pay someone real money to get it.

Hey @TryCatchThis - TryGoogleThis:
    XMR

To save you time though - its monero.

Thanked by 2evergreen TimboJones
  • @NobodyInteresting said:

@trycatchthis said:

@KuKluxKlab said:

XMR

I see coinbase and a whole lot of shit when I google that. Again do you have a link?

• @trycatchthis said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

@trycatchthis said:

@KuKluxKlab said:

XMR

I see coinbase and a whole lot of shit when I google that. Again do you have a link?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monero

Thanked by 1evergreen
  • Puts on Karen wig.

Who is the manager of bitcoin? I would like to buy your product or service but its to fucking complicated.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • No body is the owner of Bitcoin... That is the idea behind it..

• @NobodyInteresting said:

@trycatchthis said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

@trycatchthis said:

@KuKluxKlab said:

XMR

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monero

Right now I only care about bitcoin

• @eris said:
    No body is the owner of Bitcoin... That is the idea behind it..

How hard was it for you to buy your first set bitcoin? Its like they dont want my money.

• eriseris Member
    edited December 2021

Go to any exchange and buy some crypto coins.

For example Coinbase (aff)

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @eris said:
    Go to any exchange and buy some crypto coins.

For example Coinbase (aff)

What happens if they wont even let you get to the page where you enter a credit card?

What happens when they wont verify your account?

What happens when you enter correct credit card information and they wont accept it?

All 3 today.

• @trycatchthis said:

@eris said:
    No body is the owner of Bitcoin... That is the idea behind it..

How hard was it for you to buy your first set bitcoin? Its like they dont want my money.

Its ridiculously easy.
    As the person above me said - Coinbase is about as easy as it gets.

This discussion has been closed.