Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your backup method?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your backup method?

Hi everyone,

Can you suggest some backup methods?
BTW I'm using cPanel.

Comments

• I tell my boss that I am fully backed up.
    She thinks I am swamped with work. Gives new tasks to someone else.

My backup method works well.

• tar

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • @default said:
    tar

So far is everything ok?

• gzipped tar

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

What’s a backup? Never heard, sorry.

• @thedp said:
    What’s a backup? Never heard, sorry.

OVH or WebNX?

• Configure your server with old, vulnerable versions of software so that other people can make a backup of your data, for free.

• donkodonko Member

bu-backup (rsync)

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@lucas01 said:
    Hi everyone,

BTW I'm using cPanel.

Setup a remote location in WHM, and send you daily cpanel backups there.

Thanked by 1lucas01
  • I backup my most important files to /dev/null twice daily. Greatest success.

Thanked by 2LogicX pbx
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

tar gzipped

• umiumi Member

Another vps or two with folders and database synchronized. Sometimes script can even select the main node - by changing ip with Cloudflare DNS if they have a consensus. Need 3 vps for this, so 2 others agree on a dead one automatically.

Thanked by 1lucas01
  • borgbackup with borgbase, i'm really happy with it :)

Thanked by 2lucas01 m4nu
  • cron + tar + rclone + school GSuite account that seems to allow unlimited storage.

• @default said:
    tar

You're welcome

• TejyTejy Member

Jetbackup + S3.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • jtkjtk Member

@lucas01 said:
    BTW I'm using cPanel.

For those comfortable with the cli, using a common Linux distro, and desiring encryption then Duplicity is an option.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

@Cabbage said:
    cron + tar + rclone + school GSuite account that seems to allow unlimited storage.

If I were you, I would stop using unlimited GSuite for backups, because there is no privacy with Google, and I would use all that unlimited free storage for mining Filecoin.

Edit: I know, I am evil.

• I make a folder on the same drive I’m backing up and then copy everything into that folder.

If something happens to the drive then I just go into the backup folder on that drive to get the files back!

Thanked by 1chip
  • I would recommend/vouch for JetBackup on cPanel.

Thanked by 1lucas01
  • Multi-tiered backups

1. web host provided backup/snapshots
    2. write my own backup scripts for myself and my clients with multiple target backup endpoints including S3 compatible storage and mobile push notification support and utilising newer tar 1.32 with faster zstd compression support and newer rsync 3.23 with zstd and xxHash checksum support which can be up to 40x times faster than older tar/rsync versions - see benchmarks etc at https://blog.centminmod.com/2021/01/30/2214/fast-tar-and-rsync-transfer-speed-for-linux-backups-using-zstd-compression/
    3. also developing/testing a Centmin Mod to Centmin Mod full server transfer script(s) (used in above mentioned blog post) which can also double as a backup method to remote server which can either used as a backup staging server or just to clone your setup to a new server :)
    4. all my recent backup scripts also have Cloudflare DNS/Worker API support so I setup a CF 503 maintenance HTML page worker (with IP bypass support to preview site before reopening) which can be enabled/disabled via the backup scripts as well batch update Cloudflare DNS records to switch server IPs in case of the full server transfer script(s) :)

If you use tar/rsync, make sure you're using tar 1.32 and rsync 3.2.3 with zstd support as they're much faster https://blog.centminmod.com/2021/01/30/2214/fast-tar-and-rsync-transfer-speed-for-linux-backups-using-zstd-compression/ ;)

• @NetDynamics24 said:

@lucas01 said:
    Hi everyone,

BTW I'm using cPanel.

Setup a remote location in WHM, and send you daily cpanel backups there.

Does the account backup option in the cpanel also backup my database?

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@lucas01 said:

Does the account backup option in the cpanel also backup my database?

Yes of course, it is a full backup including files, db and everything else.

Thanked by 1lucas01
  • download all files, download two .sql files, upload it to google drive ez pz

Thanked by 1Tony40
  • h2oh2o Member

I always do backup and backup's backup.

Thanked by 1lucas01
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Veeam is prem

Thanked by 2lucas01 skorous
  • Send in a tech to hotswap every night

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2021

Short version: Borgmatic to BorgBase.com, or sometimes a thumb drive.

(Slightly 😅) longer version: https://docs.borgbase.com/strategy/

Thanked by 1cheapdave
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited April 2021

Some people mentioning gzipped tar - worth keeping in mind that any corruption in these files causes loss of everything following the corruption. It’s not a particularly safe format once you get into the many GB region

I use Borg for regular backups, with monthly raw tar backups to LTO tape in case of issues with Borg

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

First of all this depend from what you want backup. If this related to cPanel user account then internal cPanel backups should be enough. For more security you can download your full backups to reliable filehosting services or something like Google Drive, Yandex Drive, Microsoft OneDrive.
    If you are cPanel host then you still can use internal cPanel backups to separate drive and/or to remote storage.
    If you are dedicated server owner then you can use R1Soft, Acronis CDP backup solution to make backups for whole system - they are commercial product but open source solution also exist (let's say Bacula for example). If you don't need CDP you can use just rsync - in most case it is absolutely enough to make backups of Linux/BSD system.

Thanked by 1lucas01