Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blesta migration from WHMCS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Blesta migration from WHMCS

PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Have you done this and what was your experiences?

I just noticed that we would only need to convert our built-in house modules & reports, they have a import module/plugin and rest of what we need are widely available.

We have a lot of paypal subscriptions, some of which ID has not been stored but WHMCS is able to match them to correct user & invoice by somekind of magic.

We've never used Blesta in house, no one of us has any experience with it.
So how does the day to day routines compare?

Just considering that lifetime Blesta license would be for us less than 1month license of WHMCS after this price increase ... I am sure we can "game" the licensing to get to sensible monthly cost, but this will just happen again if not annually in a few years. Once they notice they can raise prices by 20x, they are guaranteed to repeat it.

Comments

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

Before you do a full blown migration, why you don't consider creating your own middleware that utilizes WHMCS's backend.

There are enough API & Hooks that you can use to create a fully functional middleware that interact with the WHMCS base and your own functions.

It is probably the best way to go forward if you have an owned license.

• @lonea said:
    Before you do a full blown migration, why you don't consider creating your own middleware that utilizes WHMCS's backend.

There are enough API & Hooks that you can use to create a fully functional middleware that interact with the WHMCS base and your own functions.

It is probably the best way to go forward if you have an owned license.

what about security risks?

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

never mind paying for both systems simultaneously, and having both system's upkeep costs and like @Advicerxyz says security risks (potential attack vector is more than double ...)

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited April 2021

I did it, but it was at the beginning of my company with only 69 customers (srs).

It was weird to adjust, but now whenever I do something in WHMCS I'm just utterly confused and it takes me a minute. There's so much shit in that software that doesn't need to be there.

The actual migration went pretty smooth iirc but no support tickets ported over. Might have messed up the numbering schemes for client accounts/invoices, but worth it at the end of the day.

Edit:

If I had WHMCS now, I'd be paying $539.40 per year.
    Instead with Blesta I paid what, $140-$170 one time, and $30~ per year for support and updates.

If Blesta wanted to raise their support pricing, so be it, there is plenty of headroom before it gets to WHMCS levels of dangerous pricing territory.

Thanked by 2PulsedMedia postcd

@Advicerxyz minimal security risks. The WHMCS is behind the scene, it won't be seeing the internet.

@PulsedMedia I don't think you understand what I actually mean...

There is no second system to upkeep.

• HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep

I ( Host Koala ) moved from WHMCS to Blesta very early on for costs reason. I'm not sure about now but back then the migration when super smoothly with 0 issues. Blesta may lack some extra features ( Domain management and other plugins you might be using ) but financially wise, it is worth the move if you are unable to sustain the pricing changes of WHMCS

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

i can advice to you hostbill?

I think is better than blesta and whmcs

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I smell the end.

Overcomplication never ends well.