Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS increasing prices again, alternatives? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS increasing prices again, alternatives?

Comments

• I think Blesta should be the beneficiary here.

Thanked by 2Ticaga pphillips
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Being a coder is possibility the worst job other than being an actual slave.

• @Nyr said:
    I would not say zero reputation as it is from the IntoVPS/Hosterion group. It should be a decent product and relatively safe from abusive stakeholders. RamNode uses it.

With some bugs and problems somebody was saying....

@jh said:

Why do you say insanely shady? I looked at it a while back and it looks ok.

Shady indeed. Two brothers making the best panel in the world. Have you tried getting a license? They're indeed some dicks. Check their replies in a previous thread.

• TGTTGT Member
    edited April 2021

With the new pricing might as well switch to hostbillapp. My question is will the increase in WHMCS price cause providers to up pricing on LE services?

• LeviLevi Member

@TGT said:
    With the new pricing might as well switch to hostbillapp. My question is will the increase in WHMCS price cause providers to up pricing on LE services?

HB will definitelly increase price if customers begin to migrate from WHMCS. They have insane price increases in past.

• jhjh Member
    edited April 2021

@TGT said:

Right now I guess they're all digesting it and thinking about what to do. I think you will see price rises at HostBill and Blesta in time though. Now is a good time to get a license if you want one. Price rises might be a good thing for Blesta though - I get the feeling they're spread a bit thin so higher prices would probably mean more development and a better product. ClientExec etc., probably not - the products aren't good enough to justify a higher price tag.

• HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep

ClientExec etc., probably not - the products aren't good enough to justify a higher price tag.

Personally I am using both Blesta and Clientexec and would rate CE higher than Blesta. Its robust and more flexible in terms of adjusting account settings. Blesta code is though more open. Tried whmcs in start but glad didnt go that path.

Time for maybe a class action lawsuit?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@deank said:
    Being a coder is possibility the worst job other than being an actual slave.

True. I'm a coder and I feel like a slave of my users.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep

But if you have 100k active client, $1.3k per month is a bargain.

You know Ubersmith takes 10% of your total revenue right ?

@WSCallum said: Absolutely crazy pricing for any large companies that use WHMCS, if you're below 1k active clients the pricing change is not incredibly significant at all, but if you have over 100k active clients you'll go from paying $40 a month now to $1.3k a month from July...

Thanked by 2Lee AlwaysSkint
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

These pricing increases are insane. For us like 20x what it was. WHMCS license just became an noticeable cost item.

Oh well, i guess that's what you get when you need one of the biggest tiers.
    I wonder how they calc, i would assume the worst so simple counting of all active billing profiles, we have 11+ of history, so a lot of users who's not had a service for several years but might come back at anytime.

this was exactly what i predicted i think 2017 when they changed their pricing scheme, hoped for the best but was expecting to get this kind of financial punishment....

• Ahaha! Guys, finally no summer hosts will be using WHMCS. It will be now PREMIUM shit.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@PulsedMedia said:
    These pricing increases are insane. For us like 20x what it was. WHMCS license just became an noticeable cost item.

Oh well, i guess that's what you get when you need one of the biggest tiers.
    I wonder how they calc, i would assume the worst so simple counting of all active billing profiles, we have 11+ of history, so a lot of users who's not had a service for several years but might come back at anytime.

this was exactly what i predicted i think 2017 when they changed their pricing scheme, hoped for the best but was expecting to get this kind of financial punishment....

I get it on some level. If you make someone a million dollars and you collect twenty, it’s hard not to think about the value you created and then want a larger slice of it.

On an individual level I get it like that, but we all have to be on the lookout for everyone trying to take a larger slice, but we might end up giving away the whole pie if we’re not careful. I’m definitely not paying these prices come July.

• TGTTGT Member

So what's it looking like for lowendhost offering services using WHMCS? Will we see increases in price such as a $15/yr service turning into a $20/yr service anything of that nature? or will this affect the service provider pricing structure on LET any?

• Blesta is good choice for whmcs alternative

Thanked by 2Ticaga pphillips
  • @lonea said:

@WSCallum said: Absolutely crazy pricing for any large companies that use WHMCS, if you're below 1k active clients the pricing change is not incredibly significant at all, but if you have over 100k active clients you'll go from paying $40 a month now to $1.3k a month from July...

It’s crazy compared to their current pricing - For $15.6k you could develop and maintain your own billing software from scratch which is what a lot of the big players affected will probably do. Smaller scale up to around 1k clients sees a very modest increase.

Sure it's crazy, but it's still a bargain if you have 100k active clients.

R&D cost real money. There are legitimate reason why a medium-large company would still choose a ready-made product like WHMCS vs developing their own. Because chances are it'll cost tons more down the road.

Ie, if you are going to hire a full time dev. It'll be at least $3-4k a month on salary. Then the ongoing maintenance and development.

$1.3k / month sounds like real cheap when its all said and done.

@WSCallum said:

@lonea said:

It’s crazy compared to their current pricing - For $15.6k you could develop and maintain your own billing software from scratch which is what a lot of the big players affected will probably do. Smaller scale up to around 1k clients sees a very modest increase.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@TGT said:
    So what's it looking like for lowendhost offering services using WHMCS? Will we see increases in price such as a $15/yr service turning into a $20/yr service anything of that nature? or will this affect the service provider pricing structure on LET any?

Will definitively change how they do things to a degree.

In our case, to put the price increase in perspective: We are looking to buy property for building a new datacenter. The price increase is way more than the premises management costs + property loan repayments would be on monthly basis for that location ... and that place is large enough to run ~50 racks with 8kw budgeted each, cooling included ~600kw power budget ... and property is not located at exactly cheap place as you need to be "on net" for new builds.

I wish i were joking, but that's how it is looking like.

I think many will move to be very proactivate in turning billing profiles to "inactive" or "closed" state to keep costs down. I don't know how that will affect customer re-acquisition (getting them back to your services)

• Working on this for sometime(I know it looks shit)

https://imgur.com/a/2PwoTew

• WSCallumWSCallum Member
    edited April 2021

@lonea said:
    Sure it's crazy, but it's still a bargain if you have 100k active clients.

R&D cost real money. There are legitimate reason why a medium-large company would still choose a ready-made product like WHMCS vs developing their own. Because chances are it'll cost tons more down the road.

Ie, if you are going to hire a full time dev. It'll be at least $3-4k a month on salary. Then the ongoing maintenance and development.

@WSCallum said:

@lonea said:

Depends what route you go - Hire a full time dev, sure you'll pay more out. Pay out a dev/firm one off to develop the software for you, might cost similar to WHMCS one year cost on the "unlimited clients" plan - Setup an agreement or whatever payment/year for rolling out security updates where necessary or pay one off to have it maintained, features improved etc. If it's your own, it's easier to manage, maintain and take forward integration wise as well compared to the likes of WHMCS. All depends on your needs and requirements.

Regardless of that the point still stands that some will go from paying $40 per month to $1.3k per month - No one could factor this into their pricing or even expect it so those affected are either going to increase their pricing or reduce their costs elsewhere.

I'd be surprised if large size companies continue with WHMCS long term after the price increase but time will tell.

• @yoursunny said:

@dedicados said:
    i have an owned license, is possible to sell it? i am not using it.

I'll offer 7 push-ups for your WHMCS owned license.
    Without support, this is as much as it's worth.
    For reference, 7 push-ups roughly equal half a backpack or an expiring .top domain name.

Buyer: How can I complete your payment? Do you take cash or credit card?

yoursunny: 10 Push-ups please!

Thanked by 2seriesn yoursunny

You do not want a part time dev to maintain your code.

Thanked by 2Ticaga coreflux
  • Clientexec is going to release version 7.0 with a more modern design this quarter. It might be worth waiting and evaluate the new version.

https://www.clientexec.com/coming-soon

• LeeLee Veteran

@WSCallum said: Setup an agreement or whatever payment/year for rolling out security updates where necessary or pay one off to have it maintained, features improved etc.

yeah, that is where not only the costs add up but also the time for the host to work on a roadmap, spec features and so much more. A dev is not going to do that, if they are then you are doing it wrong.

@WSCallum said: If it's your own, it's easier to manage, maintain

It's really not for all but a small % of providers. The burden is high.

Thanked by 1Ticaga

Nah, the end is nigh is what it is.

edited April 2021

Can't agree with this.

If you are going to code your own, most likely you are going to rely on 3rd party or a hired employee.

Quite frankly, if you are relying on the 3rd party or the hired employee for the maintenance, management of said project and if they disappear/unavailable, you are left scrambling without support.

You are also opening up yourself with the upkeeping with security and other vulnerability you may have in your own project.

@WSCallum said: If it's your own, it's easier to manage, maintain and take forward integration wise as well compared to the likes of WHMCS.

• jhjh Member

@lonea said:

It depends if that money is going to fund the sort of support and stability that most professional software has. That seems unlikely to me given a VC is in charge. It's hard to take them seriously when their billing software still doesn't properly integrate with major accounting systems, at least not without third party software.

We just gotta wait an see if they will bring new blood into the WHMCS's development.

At any point, they are trying to get into the enterprise market where Ubersmith sits.
    Small potatoes companies bring the loudest noise but the least income.

I won't be surprised if they completely exit out of the small potatoes market and just go full enterprise in the next few years.

@jh said: It depends if that money is going to fund the sort of support and stability that most professional software has. That seems unlikely to me given a VC is in charge. It's hard to take them seriously when their billing software still doesn't properly integrate with major accounting systems, at least not without third party software.

>

Thanked by 1Lee

Nah, they are milking it. There won't be new blood.

Thanked by 2Ticaga PulsedMedia
  • Tr33nTr33n Member

@lonea said: We just gotta wait an see if they will bring new blood into the WHMCS's development.

At any point, they are trying to get into the enterprise market where Ubersmith sits.

I don't think so. Did we see any significant new feature in cPanel that wouldn't have come anyway? Except, the overpriced WordPress toolkit from Plesk. Answer: No :neutral:

Thanked by 2jetchirag Ticaga