Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to access dedicated server via IPMI
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to access dedicated server via IPMI

aliletalilet Member

I have got a dedicated server on which I want to install Windows OS. How and from where can I access IPMI to install OS? I have never done this before.

Here's screenshot of control panel:

When I click on "Open Supermicro IPMI Web Control Panel" then it opens a new window like this:

Clicking on "Launch KVM" downloads viewer.jnlp file in my PC and nothing happens.

Currently CentOS is installed and I can reload OS from provided OS list but they are all Linux flavours. I want to install Windows.

Comments

• MarcoooMarcooo Member, Host Rep

If the ipmi is not working with the provided ipmi ip then there is something wrong by the hoster. Contact them.

• @alilet said:
    I have got a dedicated server on which I want to install Windows OS. How and from where can I access IPMI to install OS? I have never done this before.

When I click on "Open Supermicro IPMI Web Control Panel" then it opens a new window like this:

Clicking on "Launch KVM" downloads viewer.jnlp file in my PC and nothing happens.

Currently CentOS is installed and I can reload OS from provided OS list but they are all Linux flavours. I want to install Windows.

Your provider should have sent you an insurrection on your welcome email. Usually which also tells you to connect to some form of VPN or IP white listing tool.

Refer to the welcome email. If nothing there, contact them.

• I have opened a ticket so let's see. It did ask me to white list IP when before I opened this control panel but not for IPMI itself.

• I’d normally try to reset BMC to avoid stale sessions. If that doesn’t work, support is the only way to go. The IPMI may not be connected to the internet yet, it maybe be only accepting certain IP addressess or only connection via VPN.

I strongly advise to put IPMI behind a VPN or use the internal firewall to block any connection except subnet of the datacenter and your own IP. I didn’t do that and saw my IPMI hacked within 3 weeks running a botnet on it. I had to spend 4 hours at the datacenter to fully reflash the chip firmware. That was NOT fun.

It affected my connection by 300 Mbps. That’s a third of the server capacity. So be careful! ;)

• As people already said, contact your provider.

• rcxbrcxb Member

@alilet said:

Click on the downloaded jnlp and see if it works. Do other jnlp files work on your system? If not, download and install java and associate jnlp file types with the javaws executable.

• @seriesn said:

@alilet said:

Your provider should have sent you an insurrection on your welcome email.

Well, that escalated quickly.

• @TimboJones said:

@seriesn said:

@alilet said:

Your provider should have sent you an insurrection on your welcome email.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Fat fingers and apple doesn’t work that well :/

• AswinAswin Member, Host Rep

You have to enable/request IPMI access from your datacenter and they will provide a link and credentials to login, then you will get a jnlp file to download >> then install java run time on your pc to execute the file - how you login into ipmi.

• You can ask your provider for the IPMI tutorial. They should help you with the tutorial and installation.

• You probably need to whitelist your IP or connect via VPN to access IPMI.