Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

almalinux 8 on 128mb vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

almalinux 8 on 128mb vps?

hi guys im currently running an smtp server (postfix) on centos 6 on a vps with 128mb of ram and it has been running awesome for the last 3 years

now i want to reinstall the server using almalinux 8 but would it work?

Comments

• It will not install using the installer/ISO. You would need a template.

• Nope AlmaLinux 8 like CentOS/Redhat 8 need at least 1.5GB for YUM/DNF.

Thanked by 1tech2_AU
  • You'll need at least 1G to install from ISO, but it'll run on 512M

• gappergapper Member
    edited April 2021

So I can ask my provider to temporarily upgrade RAM to 1GB and then lower it to 128MB? Or 512MB is the minimum for an AlmaLinux 8 Minimal install?

• @gapper said:
    So I can ask my provider to temporarily upgrade RAM to 1GB and then lower it to 128MB? Or 512MB is the minimum for an AlmaLinux 8 Minimal install?

You can ask your provider whatever you'd like to ask them!

Thanked by 2yoursunny gapper
  • LeviLevi Member

Ezpz. Try on 64MB

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@gapper said:

I hope SolusVM can have a "temporary RAM increase" button. Every VM can request 8x the RAM for 3 hours per month, without going through tickets.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@gapper said:

After your numerous threads about which VPS to get, etc., this is the point where you're at now -- the grand finale: wondering about how to install AlmaLinux on a VPS with 128 MB RAM? Really?

Thanked by 1gapper
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

yum is a peace of bloat, so no.

• alwyzonalwyzon Member, Host Rep

You might want to give Debian a try if you want to stick with that little RAM and are looking for a non-EOL Linux distribution, but CentOS 8 or AlmaLinux won’t be a joy with just 128 MB of RAM. CentOS 8 recommends 768 MB as minimum RAM, while Debian 10 recommends 256 MB for non-desktop, minimal setups.

• _MS__MS_ Member

@gapper said:

First, you should ask the provider if you are allowed to ask them anything. Some providers ban users that ask them questions. "Ban Reason: Stupid".

Thanked by 2lentro yoursunny
  • MS said:

@gapper said:

First, you should ask the provider if you are allowed to ask them anything. Some providers ban users that ask them questions. "Ban Reason: Stupid".

It’s time to clear up some low end customers😁.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

Actually this is not VPS problem it is problem of software developer (in this case RedHat). Old Windows like XP or even 98 still used in many big organization. Why? Because old software is not so resource hog as newest version. Seriously, if you need run just one program react to few user input and write data to text file then why you are required order server with at least 1 GB RAM or even so?
    PS. Regards TS problem i could recommend use non h/w virtualization like a OpenVZ or similar. In most case such virtualization use templates system and they work without such restriction.

Thanked by 2jsg AlwaysSkint
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Try the other linux starting with an 'A' -> Alpine linux. Their packet manager is damn good enough(TM) and their package repo almost certainly includes postfix. And you can install it using an ISO (which seems to be something you really need).

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • set more swap. it''ll run like shit but might work barely