Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM in 2021
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM in 2021

Is this a great option for 2021? Do not see any tutorials to install OpenVZ with SyS tho, back on my old thread with the "not delivering" after calling with OVH I've managed to get it activated for some reason, and if SolusVM is a good option, why would it be a great option for me? I've heard that much of their packages do not work.

Comments

• It's a joke.

• WSCallumWSCallum Member
    edited April 2021

SolusVM is no longer a developed product and is only maintained for security updates - The new version is SolusIO and they intend to add an importer from SolusVM to SolusIO per their roadmap, inevitably they'll end up discontinuing the security releases for SolusVM sooner or later. Take that as you will but a product which is no longer actively developed is definitely not a 'great option' in 2021.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Why is this even a question?

• @deank said:

Because I wanted to have a perspective from other people.

• @WSCallum said:
    SolusVM is no longer a developed product and is only maintained for security updates - The new version is SolusIO and they intend to add an importer from SolusVM to SolusIO per their roadmap, inevitably they'll end up discontinuing the security releases for SolusVM sooner or later. Take that as you will but a product which is no longer actively developed is definitely not a 'great option' in 2021.

Thank you for your response, it helped me alot!

• im on ramnode legacy solusvm... what will happen with me when solusvm stops providing security updates?

• @gapper said:
    im on ramnode legacy solusvm... what will happen with me when solusvm stops providing security updates?

That’s something you need to ask RamNode.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2021

@0xOkami said:

@deank said:

Because I wanted to have a perspective from other people.

Solus is still defacto if you aren't using your own.

Virtualizor is a thing but I know of no one that is truly happy with it.

SolusVM will either get price hiked or a forced migration into solus.io sooner rather than later. Maybe Solus.io is really popular in private clouds/sectors, but I think there's only 1 host on these forums using it.

Francisco

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

We are one of the only hosts using SolusIO on this forum. If your starting a new vps system I would def use solusIO over solusvm. SolusVM is way too dated and not being updated.

They do listen to ideas/suggestions pretty quickly.
    https://features.solus.io/topics/idea/status/all/category/all/sort/updated/page/1

Your best bet is to spin up and try different systems and see what works for you.

GL!

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24
  • @oplink said:
    We are one of the only hosts using SolusIO on this forum. If your starting a new vps system I would def use solusIO over solusvm. SolusVM is way too dated and not being updated.

They do listen to ideas/suggestions pretty quickly.
    https://features.solus.io/topics/idea/status/all/category/all/sort/updated/page/1

Your best bet is to spin up and try different systems and see what works for you.

GL!

Thank you for your reply, started to use it yesterday and I'am truely loving it already. It's simple and stable. Might build Docker / gameserver containers in it to if it's opensource.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

@0xOkami said:
    Thank you for your reply, started to use it yesterday and I'am truely loving it already. It's simple and stable. Might build Docker / gameserver containers in it to if it's opensource.

Yes, its been very stable for us too. The WHMCS module works well too.

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

Virtualizor is a thing but I know of no one that is truly happy with it.

I am.

• ploxhostploxhost Member, Patron Provider

Virtualizor is a mess, mostly because of the support. I’ve had a number of issues and wouldn’t wish that on anyone else. I’ve heard from people that they’ve had success with using ProxMox with something like ProxCP or with a custom solution.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

I'm not anymore a fan of SolusVM but I guess it will not die soon as long it was sold in 2019 to Plesk.
    For KVM containers I really enjoy Proxmox with cloud-init operating systems (deployed in less than 40 seconds, up to date).
    Good luck!

@markd said:
    Virtualizor is a mess, mostly because of the support.

Support can take a day. Documentation is not great. But I haven't had any real problems. Been using it for KVM and OpenVZ.

• ploxhostploxhost Member, Patron Provider

@LittleCreek said:

@markd said:

Support can take a day. Documentation is not great. But I haven't had any real problems. Been using it for KVM and OpenVZ.

Quite honestly the biggest issues I've had were issues regarding the backup system. It's crappy, backups fail most of the times and restores just don't work in general.

• @LittleCreek said:

@markd said:

Did always use their Livechat and got mostly of the time reply within like a minute, and the support was always helpfull for me. Their English was bad tho.

Thanked by 1ploxhost
  • sheratansheratan Member
    edited April 2021

Been using SolusVM and now using Virtualizor, and no problem so far. Support is fast and informative. There is a little language barrier but not a big deal.

About backup system, we have try in test enviroment and goes well.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Proxmox with Cloud-init is good but still you need a lot work to make production friendly.

Openstack is another option you can try if you have the resources it requires.

Otherwise go with virtualizor instead of Solusvm

Did always use their Livechat and got mostly of the time reply within like a minute.

I will try that next time.