Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does netcup want to do? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What does netcup want to do?

2»

Comments

• sdqsdq Member

@AlwaysSkint said:

@sdq said: For me, personal privacy and self-esteem far exceed the discounts they can offer.

This.

Unfortunately, not only 'this'. I provided are my real ID and real electricity bill.

• WTF are you complaining about? You can choose to not use them

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2021

@sdq said:

@angstrom said:

@sdq said:
    What exactly does Netcup want to do?

They want to play it safe -- they're cautious.

For them, you're just some unknown guy in a far-away country: why should they trust you?

They're asking you to identify yourself.

Congrats on your first post.

I usually just read the posts . I was very angry today, so I registered an account.
    There is a saying in the law called the presumption of guilt and the presumption of innocence. This is the foundation of a civilized society.

You're confusing two different things.

No one has arrested you. No one has accused you of anything. You're not on trial.

You're being asked to identify yourself in order to obtain a service (a VPS) from a provider (netcup).

If you can't see the difference between these two, then this is another order of difficulty and you would do better to try to understand this difference before signing up on a forum and starting an angry thread.

Thanked by 2pbx webcraft
  • Netcup did the same to me, and didnt accept my photos, even with bills, id, face, dates and stuff. In the end, i made a video and sent them with all the info read out letter by letter, and they accepted it 2 minutes later.

Yes, netcup is strict, but if you have a usecase for their services, it is worth it. I have not had any issues with netcup for a year now, with refunds, orders, invoices or anything. It just works.

• True, their verification is strict, you can choose other hosts if you don’t like it. From their point of view they want you to prove who you are to avoid later issues.
    Besides, in China we do not need a photo like that when ordering a server, if you are not going to use your server to host a website. If you do, then it’s another story.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • I'm german, I bought a domain from them and they called me for verification.

• pbxpbx Member

@Kousaka said: True, their verification is strict, you can choose other hosts if you don’t like it. From their point of view they want you to prove who you are to avoid later issues.

I think that they do that because they have cheap price and it would cost them too much to deal with abuse: better focus on good long term customers with a strict system to get rid of potential "bad apples", even though it might keep a couple of trouble-free customers from ordering.

I don't remember exactly what they asked me, but it wasn't troublesome. That being said, it was some time ago, their process might be more strict these days...

• LeviLevi Member

Netcup with its questionable billing practices should be avoided at all costs if possible. There is php-friends, hetzner and plenty of alternatives. Think five times before placing an order!

• @Kaffekopp said:
    Netcup did the same to me, and didnt accept my photos, even with bills, id, face, dates and stuff. In the end, i made a video and sent them with all the info read out letter by letter, and they accepted it 2 minutes later.

Yes, netcup is strict, but if you have a usecase for their services, it is worth it. I have not had any issues with netcup for a year now, with refunds, orders, invoices or anything. It just works.

That is some next level effort to sign up for hosting. :D It's great that you have an active account with them now though, I see great value just like on their services (promo rate) just like Hetzner.

• pikepike Veteran

@sdq said:
    I am from Malaysia. Well, buying a vps can also be racially discriminatory.

It is really simple. They are about to sell you a platform that you could use for criminal activity, which then would lead to their servers being taken away by the feds and causing a huge headache trying to get their customers back online.
    The risk of someone doing this, and then getting away without paying for their loss is significantly higher for countries that are not member or in close relation to the european union, e.g. malaysia.

The only thing you can really complain about is that they didnt just outright deny you but instead asked you for two steps of verification, where the last step wasnt known to you before you took the first. And in case this is justified, e.g. your ID and power bill didn't fully match, or your IP location didnt match your power bill adress, you can't really complain about anything.

This has nothing to do with racism.