Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does netcup want to do?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What does netcup want to do?

sdqsdq Member

I am using hetzner. I saw the easter eggs of netcup today. Seems the price is better than Hetzner so I placed an order.
However, netcup asked me to provide my ID and electricity bill. Well, although I am not happy about this, I also accept it.
What I didn't expect was that this was not enough, and I had been asked again to provide a photo of me with my ID card.
My God, I have never seen such an excessive request. In my impression, only Chinese friend tell me Communist China would have such a requirement.
What exactly does Netcup want to do? Do they think all customers are scammers? and then they need to use the most rigorous means to identify them? Good luck, they did not ask me to go to the oath officer to take the oath!

Comments

• ZerpyZerpy Member

Do they think all customers are scammers?

No they don't think all customers are scammers. If you're having a problem giving the info they want, then just proceed and not complete your order.

If you're not into doing anything wrong, it also shouldn't be a problem to pass the validation.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • vuevue Member

same shit on hetzner :)

• sdqsdq Member

I can give them all of those, that is very simple.
    However, why I must need to provide these?
    If you go to supermarket to buy a Coca-cola, they ask you, Sir, ID card, bill please! How do you think about it?

@Zerpy said:

Do they think all customers are scammers?

No they don't think all customers are scammers. If you're having a problem giving the info they want, then just proceed and not complete your order.

If you're not into doing anything wrong, it also shouldn't be a problem to pass the validation.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • sdqsdq Member

@vue said:
    same shit on hetzner :)

No, Hetzner need ID only.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • bdlbdl Member

My God, I have never seen such an excessive request. In my impression, only Chinese friend tell me Communist China would have such a requirement.

China has no need to request the info. They already have it. :)

• ID verification was sufficient for me, okay I‘m a german. @other hosts I had to give them my id, electricity bill and an account current.

• sdqsdq Member

@fendix said:
    ID verification was sufficient for me, okay I‘m a german. @other hosts I had to give them my id, electricity bill and an account current.

I am from Malaysia. Well, buying a vps can also be racially discriminatory.

• edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited April 2021

Well, it's all good, I guess. I got verified despite looking like a terrorist on my photo. Just found out that you need to pay in advance before service is activated, I already paid but no service is showing, I guess it's activated later... I had worse verification experience at Hetzner, had to be in the US with my family to have an account, never let me verify when I was at home.

• sdqsdq Member

@edoarudo5 said:
    Well, it's all good I guess. I got verified despite looking like a terrorist on my photo. Just found out that you need to pay in advance before service is activated, I already paid but no service is showing, I guess it's activated later... I had worse verification at Hetzner, had to be in the US with my family to have an account, never let me verify when I was at home.

I have notified them to cancel the order, and I feel very insulted. I don't mind paying in advance, it's only 30 euros, which is not a big number. My anger is that I can't just provide ID and electricity bill, I must also provide a photo of me and ID! When I apply for an offshore account with NASDAQ, I only need my ID and electricity bill. I applied at home. Malaysia is now a public holiday and I stay at home all day long.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

It's your loss, not theirs.

Thanked by 3bdl bulbasaur webcraft
  • edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited April 2021

@sdq said:

@edoarudo5 said:
    Well, it's all good I guess. I got verified despite looking like a terrorist on my photo. Just found out that you need to pay in advance before service is activated, I already paid but no service is showing, I guess it's activated later... I had worse verification at Hetzner, had to be in the US with my family to have an account, never let me verify when I was at home.

I have notified them to cancel the order, and I feel very insulted. I don't mind paying in advance, it's only 30 euros, which is not a big number. My anger is that I can't just provide ID and electricity bill, I must also provide a photo of me and ID! When I apply for an offshore account with NASDAQ, I only need my ID and electricity bill. I applied at home. Malaysia is now a public holiday and I stay at home all day long.

It's definitely a hassle if you ask me but their deal, their rules. Hetzner made me feel the same way but there are some good deals that are worth the hassle. Didn't submit an electricity bill for my proof of address, just sent them one of my postpaid phone bills and it was okay as well.

Honestly got me the impression that these german companies' a buncha racists because of these over the top verification procedures but it might just be standard practice for all their international customers. I guess it also stops a lot of scammers and abusers. So it's all good.

• @sdq said:
    If you go to supermarket to buy a Coca-cola, they ask you, Sir, ID card, bill please! How do you think about it?

Can you use a bottle of Coke to send spam, scam people, set up a phishing site, attack other servers and all other nasty things?

They want to make sure that you really are who you say you are. Because that makes that they can hold you responsible for what you do with your server.

Also, I could send any ID and a manufactured bill, that’s why they want to see you holding your ID.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur webcraft
  • sdqsdq Member

@deank said:
    It's your loss, not theirs.

It's funny, what do I have to lose? Are they the only vps provider? Will the earth disintegrate without them?

Hetzner and Netcup frequently have killer deals.

So, it's your loss, not theirs.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@sdq said:
    What exactly does Netcup want to do?

They want to play it safe -- they're cautious.

For them, you're just some unknown guy in a far-away country: why should they trust you?

They're asking you to identify yourself.

Congrats on your first post.

• sdqsdq Member

@debaser said:

@sdq said:

Can you use a bottle of Coke to send spam, scam people, set up a phishing site, attack other servers and all other nasty things?

They want to make sure that you really are who you say you are. Because that makes that they can hold you responsible for what you do with your server.

Also, I could send any ID and a manufactured bill, that’s why they want to see you holding your ID.

The same logic, terrorists can use Coca-cola bottles to make bombs, BOOM BOOM~~ To prevent this problem, ID and other certification are needed.
    Sir, ID/Bill/Oath Please!

• sdqsdq Member

@angstrom said:

@sdq said:
    What exactly does Netcup want to do?

They want to play it safe -- they're cautious.

For them, you're just some unknown guy in a far-away country: why should they trust you?

They're asking you to identify yourself.

Congrats on your first post.

I usually just read the posts . I was very angry today, so I registered an account.
    There is a saying in the law called the presumption of guilt and the presumption of innocence. This is the foundation of a civilized society.

Sigh, another PMS.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur pike
  • debaserdebaser Member
    edited April 2021

@sdq said:

@debaser said:

@sdq said:

The same logic, terrorists can use Coca-cola bottles to make bombs, BOOM BOOM~~ To prevent this problem, ID and other certification are needed.
    Sir, ID/Bill/Oath Please!

Yes, that’s exactly the same. In your alternative reality.

As @deank says: it’s your loss. Either you provide them with the information they ask and have an account for years to come or you complain cry about it here and end up with nothing. Your choice.

• @sdq said:
    The same logic, terrorists can use Coca-cola bottles to make bombs, BOOM BOOM~~

Ok?

• sdqsdq Member

@debaser said:

As @deank says: it’s your loss. Either you provide them with the information they ask and have an account for years to come or you complain about it here and end up with nothing. Your choice.

If I choose, it costs 40 euros to keep my self-esteem, and I can get a 25% discount if I lose my self-esteem. There is no doubt that I will choose the former.

• @sdq said:
    If I choose, it costs 40 euros to keep my self-esteem, and I can get a 25% discount if I lose my self-esteem. There is no doubt that I will choose the former.

Well then stop yapping and find another provider, netcup doesn't give a single shit about you nor any of us.

• @sdq said:

@debaser said:

As @deank says: it’s your loss. Either you provide them with the information they ask and have an account for years to come or you complain about it here and end up with nothing. Your choice.

If you think confirming your identity with a company is the same as losing your self esteem, you must have a pretty privileged life.

Almost makes me wonder if you’re the type of customer they try to keep out. Almost.

• sdqsdq Member

@jmgcaguicla said:

@sdq said:

Well then stop yapping and find another provider, netcup doesn't give a single shit about you nor any of us.

Complaints and criticisms do not prevent me from looking for other providers. Posting comments on LET is also helpful to otherone and it is also a user's right. In fact, I have been using Hetzner, Netcup just let me stop the idea of changing the provider.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited April 2021

I for one, don't lose sleep over not having Hetzner/Netcup. Draconian signup, restrictive cancellation policies and contract terms/duration (6/12 month) that are nearly as bad as paid TV.
    No loss whatsoever to me. :)
    Oh, and still the unsolicited port scans come from their networks (Hetz in particular), so the pissin' about that they do serves little benefit to the 'net as a whole.

• @sdq said:
    Complaints and criticisms do not prevent me from looking for other providers. Posting comments on LET is also helpful to otherone and it is also a user's right. In fact, I have been using Hetzner, Netcup just let me stop the idea of changing the provider.

I saw that you just registered today so I'll give you a pass, but just know that all LE forums are already aware of this practice (notably with providers from Germany) and your PMS thread provides no additional value.

• sdqsdq Member

@debaser said:

If you think confirming your identity with a company is the same as losing your self esteem, you must have a pretty privileged life.

Almost makes me wonder if you’re the type of customer they try to keep out. Almost.

Yes, I am obviously not the customer they need. For me, personal privacy and self-esteem far exceed the discounts they can offer.
    I am not the kind of customer you think, I pay over thousand dollars to Heztner and Linode every month and never abuse.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • sdqsdq Member

@debaser said:

Just like the example I gave earlier, when you buy COCA-COLA, you are asked to show your ID, and you are asked to show your ID when you go to the bank to get a loan. This is of a different nature.

• @sdq said: For me, personal privacy and self-esteem far exceed the discounts they can offer.

This.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Netcup: You must cancel the order one month before the contract expires, otherwise the contract will be automatically renewed