Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your thoughts about cPanel price increase?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are your thoughts about cPanel price increase?

Well, as most of you know, cPanel raised their prices again at the beginning of the year and this affected more hosting providers.

What have you done to manage this situation? Moved to an alternative of cPanel, raised your web hosting proces or neither?

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions

Comments

• Well, you could just read the reaction on the CPanel forums.

• @stevewatson301 said:
    Well, you could just read the reaction on the CPanel forums.

This, or read the threads about cpanel price increase on here? There's hardly any reason for a new thread.

• @NobodyInteresting said:

@stevewatson301 said:
    Well, you could just read the reaction on the CPanel forums.

This, or read the threads about cpanel price increase on here? There's hardly any reason for a new thread.

I think that you're right.

• Most of the (non LET) web hosts I've cPanel accounts have not yet increased the pricing for customers. Might be they have some license deal with cPanel or a long-term license. Small hosts did give up cPanel as they couldn't eat that price-increase. They either had to ask their customers to pay more or have migrated to directadmin for the same price for their users. Some large cPanel resellers also migrated to DA or closed the business.

• @JasonM said:
    Most of the (non LET) web hosts I've cPanel accounts have not yet increased the pricing for customers. Might be they have some license deal with cPanel or a long-term license. Small hosts did give up cPanel as they couldn't eat that price-increase. They either had to ask their customers to pay more or have migrated to directadmin for the same price for their users. Some large cPanel resellers also migrated to DA or closed the business.

Yeah, and also Buy Panel has been acquired by cPanel, I wonder what happened here, why would you buy your your reseller company.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

As a provider not targeting the LET market. I have not increased my pricing, neither this time or last time.

The actual increase for me per customer is rather minimal.
    I will eventually increase the pricing for the inflation rate over the past few years (last time being 4 years ago).

While tech often goes down in price, there's much more to the cost than just tech that doesn't go down but rather up.

• it's just business.

• @BillingFox said: Well, as most of you know, cPanel raised their prices again at the beginning of the year and this affected more hosting providers.

Yes, we do know. It's almost as if there's been discussions taking place on these boards for months and you've only just joined to advertise your product and pretend to be a part of the community.

• OC is nothing but a monopolist and a leech.

It's pretty disappointing to see that the OP is using CentOS Web Panel given the scathing security report by Rack911. @BillingFox that doesn't make you look professional at all, it makes you look like an amateur.

Anyone who's a seasoned observer of shared hosting has seen extremely bad security creep in over the years with a range of the server software, including control panels. Remember when H-Sphere was abandoned without notice to their customers with a great MANY security vulnerabilities?

DirectAdmin is really nice, as far as the end-customer panel goes that part of the product is easily on-par with cPanel/Plesk. I can't speak for the backend, managing the server is the real job of the control panel according to this post anyway there's more work in setting it up (that doesn't mention server maintenance). Probably the majority of customers don't even need a client-control panel except to 1-click install Wordpress and other CMS/apps and to manage the PHP version.

As I said back in 2019, my guess here is that OC's endgame is to kill cPanel. Bleed it dry and then discontinue it in favour of Plesk as their darling product.

• @Aractus said:
    OC is nothing but a monopolist and a leech.

It's pretty disappointing to see that the OP is using CentOS Web Panel given the scathing security report by Rack911. @BillingFox that doesn't make you look professional at all, it makes you look like an amateur.

Anyone who's a seasoned observer of shared hosting has seen extremely bad security creep in over the years with a range of the server software, including control panels. Remember when H-Sphere was abandoned without notice to their customers with a great MANY security vulnerabilities?

DirectAdmin is really nice, as far as the end-customer panel goes that part of the product is easily on-par with cPanel/Plesk. I can't speak for the backend, managing the server is the real job of the control panel according to this post anyway there's more work in setting it up (that doesn't mention server maintenance). Probably the majority of customers don't even need a client-control panel except to 1-click install Wordpress and other CMS/apps and to manage the PHP version.

As I said back in 2019, my guess here is that OC's endgame is to kill cPanel. Bleed it dry and then discontinue it in favour of Plesk as their darling product.

I'm pretty unsure that cPanel users will switch to Plesk since it is owned by the same company that owns cPanel.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I think we should create our own cpanel with hookers and blackjack.

• @Neoon said:
    I think we should create our own cpanel with hookers and blackjack.

• @BillingFox said:

I'm pretty unsure that cPanel users will switch to Plesk since it is owned by the same company that owns cPanel.

Pretty sure most of them don't care. I've said it before I'll say it again - OC can afford to kill cPanel, they cannot afford to kill Plesk. What they did is evil genius.

By the way I must be living under a rock, I just found out about IBM & Red Hat killing CentOS lol! That's another problem with cPanel it doesn't even support Ubuntu it was wedded to CentOS. See what I mean? It doesn't take any time at all for a company to completely kill an essential server software, in the case the OS!!

Thanked by 1BillingFox
  • ZerpyZerpy Member

@Aractus said:
    By the way I must be living under a rock, I just found out about IBM & Red Hat killing CentOS lol! That's another problem with cPanel it doesn't even support Ubuntu it was wedded to CentOS. See what I mean? It doesn't take any time at all for a company to completely kill an essential server software, in the case the OS!!

Support for Ubuntu being available in cPanel v102.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Aractus said: OC is nothing but a monopolist and a leech.

Pretty much the goal of any company who's primary goal is to make money.

All OC did is realise how poorly cPanel was being managed from a financial point of view and corrected that (it's what they do). So the shock was immediate for everyone when it should have been gradual over many years.

cPanel was making big mistakes keeping the price the same for so long and not dealing with all $14 VPS licences being used to run everything from small to large hosting businesses.

Of course, many here disagree only because of how it affected them financially. That's an issue for them, not OC.

• @Zerpy said: Support for Ubuntu being available in cPanel v102.

:lol:

Sure yeah it's going to support NGINX and NodeJS on shared hosting platforms. It will also make your coffee and siphon off your competitor's ports on the next rack without them knowing.

@Lee said: All OC did is realise how poorly cPanel was being managed from a financial point of view and corrected that (it's what they do). So the shock was immediate for everyone when it should have been gradual over many years.

Funny how Plesk was already perfect isn't it?

Yes agreed about cPanel - not just financially but development. They had a VERY narrow focus on what they support. This is what has driven the boilerplate for shared hosting servers.

I haven't seen them invest in cP development, they're just bleeding it out like I said all along. There's tons of customers that will stick with it for the next 5 years before migrating to Plesk or DirectAdmin or for the managed hosting where the customer control panel interface isn't essential something else.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited April 2021

cPanel price increase is just simple strategy treating of product owned by investment firm (they are milking the cash cow)

Cash cows is where a company has high market share in a slow-growing industry. These units typically generate cash in excess of the amount of cash needed to maintain the business. They are regarded as staid and boring, in a "mature" market, yet corporations value owning them due to their cash-generating qualities. They are to be "milked" continuously with as little investment as possible, since such investment would be wasted in an industry with low growth. Cash "milked" is used to fund stars and question marks, that are expected to become cash cows some time in the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth–share_matrix

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@Aractus said:

@Zerpy said: Support for Ubuntu being available in cPanel v102.

:lol:

Sure yeah it's going to support NGINX and NodeJS on shared hosting platforms. It will also make your coffee and siphon off your competitor's ports on the next rack without them knowing.

Nah it's actually gonna support Ubuntu in v102. And nginx support has been added as well. So has nodejs anyway, but 🤷‍♂️

@Aractus said:
    Funny how Plesk was already perfect isn't it?

Nah not really. Doesn't even have proper DNS cluster support in 2021.

• cPanel is the same product that went from hosting a few dozen to a couple of hundred websites on a server to thousands per-server as the technology allowed. So yeah clearly the static price didn't work.

What cP effectively monopolised was a perfect end-customer panel. You can have 2,000+ customers on a single server and cPanel effectively gives each of them the full control over their web servers that they would have on a VPS or dedicated server.

Anyway I stick by what I said 2 years ago: OC is going to bleed-out cP and discontinue it with all investment in Plesk. I've seen nothing to suggest this hypothesis is in err.