Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proven Reliable VPS / Cloud Provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proven Reliable VPS / Cloud Provider

JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

what does everything think is the Most Reliable UK / Europe VPS or Cloud Provider is .

debating between BuyVM (Frantech) / Nexus bytes

looking to move a business critical application and don't want to have to move it again in say a month

Thanked by 2seriesn Aractus

Comments

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

Both are great.

• edited March 2021

If you have a business critical application you ought to build it with redundancy or in a distributed manner so if any machine goes down the app still runs.

I've never used either, but BuyVM machines are almost always out of stock, especially their more expensive packages. That should tell you something about them.

Thanked by 1Jasonhyperhost
  • JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

@CyberneticTitan said:
    If you have a business critical application you ought to build it with redundancy or in a distributed manner so if any machine goes down the app still runs.

I've never used either, but BuyVM machines are almost always out of stock, especially their more expensive packages. That should tell you something about them.

Hey Thanks, as much as i would like to build it underneath a LB and have 2 VMS running , the application is license based so its not really feasable to run multiple licensing , . really after a host with a great track record , as ill be running acronis Cyber Cloud DR for backups. so can just restore to a new VM in a Few minutes anyhow :)

• @Jasonhyperhost said:
    what does everything think is the Most Reliable UK / Europe VPS or Cloud Provider is .

looking to move a business critical application and don't want to have to move it again in say a month

Consider BuyVM with 2 dedicated cores option ($30 per month) with daily backup option.

Good luck 👍🏼

Thanked by 1Daniel15

@CyberneticTitan said:

what do you reckon of Hetz Cloud Compared .i know Hetz Large DC Provider but there cloud Servers are really good on price, are they as reliable as buyVM :)

• BuyVM are the most reliable "low-end" priced host I've used.

If it's a business critical app, you may want to consider using a host with 24/7 phone support and a guaranteed SLA.

Thanked by 2dev_vps kkrajk

@Daniel15 said:
    BuyVM are the most reliable "low-end" priced host I've used.

If it's a business critical app, you may want to consider using a host with 24/7 phone support and a guaranteed SLA.

its fairly critical "billing panel" just looking at others as want to isolate the instance away from my KVM nodes.

specs are 4 core 8gb ram 50-80gb disk 1TB PCM

so in terms of bandwidth really is not much its only daily exports the maxes out the VM other than that very little use the rest of the day :)

was considering Hetz ,"ofc the price" for the Specs you get . but what i dont want to do is sign up with a Host and then in a month they have issues or oversold nodes so is unusable , its for a long term ideally :)

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited April 2021

@Jasonhyperhost said: its fairly critical "billing panel" just looking at others as want to isolate the instance away from my KVM nodes.

BuyVM should be fine for that. I just checked my UptimeRobot logs and I've had 100% uptime since 3rd January 2021. There was ~35 minutes downtime at the start of the year due to a DDoS or something, but apart from that I haven't had any major issues.

For my 'main' BuyVM VPS, I see 51 minutes downtime for the whole of 2020, which is around 4 nines (99.99% uptime), and some of those were me rebooting the server rather than a fault with BuyVM. My guess would be around 25 minutes downtime for the entire year that can be directly attributed to BuyVM (eg. routing issues) rather than something dumb I did :)

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • i should point out if you are hosting a billing panel and you are european you may also want to have the host be a european company

@Daniel15 said:

@Jasonhyperhost said: its fairly critical "billing panel" just looking at others as want to isolate the instance away from my KVM nodes.

BuyVM should be fine for that. I just checked my UptimeRobot logs and I've had 100% uptime since 3rd January 2021. There was ~35 minutes downtime at the start of the year due to a DDoS or something, but apart from that I haven't had any major issues.

For my 'main' BuyVM VPS, I see 51 minutes downtime for the whole of 2020, which is around 4 nines (99.99% uptime), and some of those were me rebooting the server rather than a fault with BuyVM. My guess would be around 25 minutes downtime for the entire year that can be directly attributed to BuyVM (eg. routing issues) rather than something dumb I did :)

Thanks for that @Daniel15 that's some Great Uptime , don't think many could achieve that!

@aiden1 said:
    i should point out if you are hosting a billing panel and you are european you may also want to have the host be a european company

Hey @aiden1 . Yes European company are Preferred , but as long as Data Remains & stored within EU , we are fine :smile:

thanks

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited April 2021

@Jasonhyperhost said: don't think many could achieve that!

Indeed :)
    For 100% uptime you'll want a high-availability setup as there's always the possibility of network or server maintenance taking down a server or a whole rack... I wouldn't aim for or expect 100% uptime with a single VPS.

• cazrzcazrz Member

I use both and they are both good and reliable.

Your site will only be very reliable if you are using at least 2 different data center and 2 different providers.

If you cant afford 2 providers then at least afford an offsite backup from either of the two.
    Use one as main vps then the other for offsite backup.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

For UK @Clouvider does OnApp HA VPS which I've used and has been excellent! Little bit dearer than the other 2 though - one of my VPS on there has had 11 seconds of downtime since November 2019.

Both BuyVM and NB have been excellent too when I've used them - just mentioned the HA as you said business critical.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@Jasonhyperhost said:

If you're up for Europe you can consider us as well :)

• pbxpbx Member
    edited April 2021

@Jasonhyperhost said: what does everything think is the Most Reliable UK / Europe VPS or Cloud Provider is .

Have you considered Netcup? They'd be my choice for "Most Reliable" + "Europe" at a fair price.

Dunno if you know their VPS line:
    https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php
    https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vps.php

Been with them for a couple of years, before that I tried a lot of LE* providers. I choose NetCup because they are cheap and they are not a "one man show": they have staff working 24/7 and a great network + they are backed by a big EU company. "One man shows" are nice but keep in mind that they have to rely on remote staff when shit hits the fan. If the hardware is recent and the datacenter they choose good, there's no reason for that to happen, but better safe than sorry if you're looking for a place to host a "business critical application"!

In my opinion Netcup is a solid choice if you're looking for a long term host (i.e. one to stick with for a few years) and are tired of moving to a new host when you find a better deal. The price might not be the cheapest on the market, but I think they have the best price for what they offer (Ryzen, nice network, quite big company, etc.). Keep in mind that you have to tell them in advance that you want to cancel. That's not complicated (there's a button for that on their customer panel) but it disturbs some people and if you're looking for hourly billing "cloud" marketing magic it's clearly not the right choice. That's why I recommend them if you're tired to hop between hosts and looking for a long term place you can trust.

Of course an HA setup on a good datacenter could be even better, but... more expensive! A third option in the true LET spirit would be to get to very cheap boxes (@hosthatch's latest offer comes to mind) and do your own HA setup. That way even if one node (or a full datacenter!) goes down, your site won't go offline. Waste of hardware in most cases as a solid provider/node can be enough to achieve good uptime, but a good option if you want to be sure that your setup can handle a huge disaster...

• @Jasonhyperhost said:

@aiden1 said:
    i should point out if you are hosting a billing panel and you are european you may also want to have the host be a european company

Hey @aiden1 . Yes European company are Preferred , but as long as Data Remains & stored within EU , we are fine :smile:

thanks

+1 for BuyVM. I've had no issues with them so far, and the person who told me about them has only had downtime from DDoS (only protected with CF currently) and manual reboots so far. Granted, this friend is a fairly new user, but between their experience and what people on the company Discord say, you can trust BuyVM for uptime.

Also the bandwidth policy is pretty generous as long as you aren't properly abusive ;)

@pbx said:

@Jasonhyperhost said: what does everything think is the Most Reliable UK / Europe VPS or Cloud Provider is .

Have you considered Netcup? They'd be my choice for "Most Reliable" + "Europe" at a fair price.

Dunno if you know their VPS line:
    https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php
    https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vps.php

Been with them for a couple of years, before that I tried a lot of LE* providers. I choose NetCup because they are cheap and they are not a "one man show": they have staff working 24/7 and a great network + they are backed by a big EU company. "One man shows" are nice but keep in mind that they have to rely on remote staff when shit hits the fan. If the hardware is recent and the datacenter they choose good, there's no reason for that to happen, but better safe than sorry if you're looking for a place to host a "business critical application"!

In my opinion Netcup is a solid choice if you're looking for a long term host (i.e. one to stick with for a few years) and are tired of moving to a new host when you find a better deal. The price might not be the cheapest on the market, but I think they have the best price for what they offer (Ryzen, nice network, quite big company, etc.). Keep in mind that you have to tell them in advance that you want to cancel. That's not complicated (there's a button for that on their customer panel) but it disturbs some people and if you're looking for hourly billing "cloud" marketing magic it's clearly not the right choice. That's why I recommend them if you're tired to hop between hosts and looking for a long term place you can trust.

Of course an HA setup on a good datacenter could be even better, but... more expensive! A third option in the true LET spirit would be to get to very cheap boxes (@hosthatch's latest offer comes to mind) and do your own HA setup. That way even if one node (or a full datacenter!) goes down, your site won't go offline. Waste of hardware in most cases as a solid provider/node can be enough to achieve good uptime, but a good option if you want to be sure that your setup can handle a huge disaster...

Thanks but im avoiding Netcup , had very bad expierence with them , had some Root Servers from them about a year ago, and they were down 3 times in a month with no explantion netcup still do this day never replied to me. due to my bad expierence with them not likley to put a important system with them ,
    there VPS performance was great but uptime was not :(

• @Jasonhyperhost said:

Thank you for the consideration brother <3. Why not both and use one for failover :)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I discovered that VirMach billing panel, arguably a business critical application, is hosted in OVH Vint Hill.
    However, OVH executed Halt and Catch Fire on their data center, so that they cannot be treated as the most reliable.

Now ask your potential providers for photos of their fire extinguishers.
    They may be needed after all.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @Jasonhyperhost said:

Nexus Bytes, hands down.

• pkrpkr Member
    edited April 2021

I have been using NexusBytes for ~18 months without any headache. Never found that node is oversold. Servers are super fast. Most reliable for me. ~99.99% uptime.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • Neil-SFNeil-SF Member, Host Rep

Our servers are located in London, for critical applications we can sort something if you contact me or Mark on discord/ticket.

https://sonicfast.io/

• pbxpbx Member

@Jasonhyperhost said: had some Root Servers from them about a year ago, and they were down 3 times in a month with no explantion

Really? Strange, personally I never had any problem with them in a couple of years. How long was the downtime? Was it a problem on the network or on the node you were in?

• @Jasonhyperhost said: looking to move a business critical application

I've got nothing but good words for BuyVM and Nexusbytes, but if it's really business critical I'd say pick a Clouvider HA VM instead.

https://www.clouvider.co.uk/cloud-vps/

Thanked by 1Jasonhyperhost
  • ovh .

• You should be good to go with Linode/DigitalOcean/Vultr, all three have London location.

For really really critical things, GCP/AWS/Azure.

• pbxpbx Member
    edited April 2021

@Kassem said: You should be good to go with Linode/DigitalOcean/Vultr, all three have London location.

More expensive than the providers we were discussing, but hard to go wrong with these I guess (but better bang for the buck with smaller players!).

• @Kassem said:
    You should be good to go with Linode/DigitalOcean/Vultr, all three have London location.

The thing I find truly strange is that AWS/Azure outages seem to be fairly frequent and generally impact an entire region, GCP less often. Yet, in my experience with Digital Ocean and even BuyVM, outages are almost nonexistent. It would seem the big players are almost less reliable...

On the other hand, if you're hosting with GCP/AWS/Azure, you probably have a few levels of redundancy compared to just a VM or two with DO or BuyVM.

• @pbx True but he did mention business critical words. :)

@Bastion yes even if network outage happens in a region you would probably have health checks in a load balancer to send people to the next region available (of course if what you are hosting requires that sort of availability).