Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If your host retires your server, how does that make you feel? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If your host retires your server, how does that make you feel?

2»

Comments

• @Neoon said:

@TimboJones said:

@Neoon said:

@TimboJones said:

@Neoon said:

@TimboJones said:

@Neoon said:
    Since when is the age a reason to kick costumers out of it? what a bull shit.
    They usually wait until the hardware breaks and they run out of replacements.

And if you do it right, with enough stock, you don't need to do that until the costumer goes and upgrades it.

It does sound rather stupid, to kick someone of a working server that has already paid for itself multiple times.

If they had to upgrade their rack infrastructure drastically like going from PS/2 to USB or VGA to HDMI.

The fuck does this matter, people selling dedicated servers on wifi here.

What's the price of tea in china? The fuck does wifi have to do with end of lifing old, inefficient servers? Larger companies don't fuck with 1-2 consumer boards out of their basement, they buy in quantity with like hardware and setups and look to increase revenue.

Reference to "PS/2 to USB or VGA to HDMI."
    The fuck cares? Your DC is big, the money comes in, why the fuck should you care?

If your DC is full, you build a new one like Hetzner, OVH.
    You won't end up kick people because DC is full sorray guys, we got new servers.

Are you on crack?

Always

Instead of just removing old and non competitive hardware with support and part availability drains on your people (you missed the 5 year old part? Those rent/lease to own places are like 2-4 years, no?), you'd have them continue to use up resources and instead just whip out another DC like Amazon will deliver it in two days? Holy fucking Christ, that is silly beyond comprehension. Also, not everyone owns a DC (bing bong, we're on LET), many just rent space. It takes years and capital to make a DC, that's a bit rich for someone renting space in a DC. And when you rent space and its not economically feasible, you replace it.

Lastly, if your plan is to operate something well past support window until it fails and becomes a fire before migrating to a new supported platform on a planned schedule, you're doing it wrong. People who think like this (running it until the wheels fall off) while running a business are amateurs and incompetent.

You don't ship out a DC in 2 days, you plan it years ahead, seems to work well for Hetzner and OVH, they so far never kicked someone from old hardware.

Neither have they ran out of capacity for new hardware.
    Even Online.net does it the same way but let you know, that they are low on parts and if it breaks you may not get a replacement but a upgrade is possible.

You're going to find the number of dedicated server providers who don't own the DC will far, far out number the ones that own their DC. And then standing up another building adds a cost drain until it surpasses a certain amount of utilization. That's orders of magnitude in scale larger than a typical LET dedicated server provider. @Clouvider doesn't own any DC's, AFAIK. I'd be curious what his plan is for retiring old hardware.

Thanked by 2Lee yoursunny
  • rcxbrcxb Member

@oplink said:
    How would you feel

Hungry.

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • @DataIdeas-Josh said: I've seen Dell Poweredge 1950s and 2950s in my DC because people don't want to change hardware.

Sometimes I'm surprised how old some production hardware is. A company I used to work for finally retired some old Windows 2000 servers with dual Pentium 3 or 4 processors in 2011, shortly after Microsoft ended extended support for Windows 2000. Those servers were in the DC for 10 years or more, just doing their job.

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@Daniel15 said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said: I've seen Dell Poweredge 1950s and 2950s in my DC because people don't want to change hardware.

Sometimes I'm surprised how old some production hardware is. A company I used to work for finally retired some old Windows 2000 servers with dual Pentium 3 or 4 processors in 2011, shortly after Microsoft ended extended support for Windows 2000. Those servers were in the DC for 10 years or more, just doing their job.

I personally would have no issue colo old hardware if a client is wanting to pay for the power.
    Let alone if the dedicated machine is out of date. So be it. If the client is using it and is happy. Let them chug along and keep business as usual. Finding parts on ebay is easy for these old systems.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited April 2021

@oplink said: We have some older clients still using some L5420 servers

My super cheap dual quad Xeon 5420 has been chugging along quite nicely for the past 3.5 years. It's monthly charge is so "Unreal" that it will be nigh on impossible to replace on a like-for-like performance basis.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2021

I would storm into the premises and rescue my long standing bride from the hands of those bastards.. If money fails, violence is still an option.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

When we discontinued OpenVZ we gave users a 3 month notice and automatically provisioned account credit for clients to manually choose a new KVM plan to replace their service with and migrate their data. This worked well, ideally I would have automatically provisioned replacement VM's but with the disparity in disk between VZ and KVM plans it would have been a mess to figure out which plan would work best for each user.