Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlmaLinux stable got released
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlmaLinux stable got released

AlmaLinux stable 8.3 got released few hours back. When will our LowEndGoodProviders add AlmaLinux image on their platform? Mention your LowEndGoodProviders on this post to request AlmaLinux image added to their platform.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions

Comments

• Anyone already running DirectAdmin on this OS? How's the experience? Planning on converting one of my client's server.

• @edoarudo5 said: Anyone already running DirectAdmin on this OS? How's the experience? Planning on converting one of my client's server.

As stable just got released control panels have no official support yet. But you can install LS, Nginx, MariaDB, Postfix, Dovecot from respective repos.

• Why waste time on a template when an ISO is the 'proper' way to build a server? No user/command injections (unless your name is Fran :-/) and you get to partition as you see fit.
    (I know a lot of folks take the easy/dumbed-down way out.)

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

We are syncing our mirror with AlmaLinux and it should be available for customers very soon for automated kickstart install :)

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@edoarudo5 said: Anyone already running DirectAdmin on this OS? How's the experience? Planning on converting one of my client's server.

Worked ever since the first alpha. Don't suddenly convert.. Just use one of your other licenses for a test box to try out Alma prior to rolling it into production.

• It's already included on @hotlineservers 🥳

Thanked by 1hotlineservers
  • @AlwaysSkint said: (I know a lot of folks take the easy/dumbed-down way out.)

Tell that to lot of providers that don't support any custom image where .iso image is merely a dream. They have their own image sets you have to choose from. And it's a burden for a customer to request for a custom image installed everytime by the provider as they kept no easy way to install for customer.

• @RickBakkr said:

@edoarudo5 said: Anyone already running DirectAdmin on this OS? How's the experience? Planning on converting one of my client's server.

Worked ever since the first alpha. Don't suddenly convert.. Just use one of your other licenses for a test box to try out Alma prior to rolling it into production.

I did suddenly convert, took backup beforehand just in case. Everything works well so far, the conversion encountered no error. Haven't restarted yet though so I don't know if it'll still work smoothly after reboot. Didn't reboot (yet) because my client wanted no downtime atm.

• @edoarudo5 said:
    I did suddenly convert, took backup beforehand just in case. Everything works well so far, the conversion encountered no error. Haven't restarted yet though so I don't know if it'll still work smoothly after reboot. Didn't reboot (yet) because my client wanted no downtime atm.

Your client doesn't want any downtime and you just upgraded the OS for him not knowing what's gonna happen if it fails :smiley:

Thanked by 2raindog308 bulbasaur
  • Yay now to work on Centmin Mod compatibility. Did initial AlmaLinux install on Upcloud via VNC console https://community.centminmod.com/threads/almalinux-8-3-linux-installation-on-upcloud-via-vnc-console.21216/ :)

Thanked by 1Boogeyman
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Been using it on our DA server with litespeed, with bubble wrap, all good so far 🤞

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Anyone with an updated OnApp install would have access to Alma

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2021

We have it on our SolusIO vps system.
    You can see our offers/coupons in our post: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/170490/oplink-net-amd-vps-plans-6-95-mo

We can also install it on any dedicated server.

It will be interesting to see which wins the battle: AlmaLinux or RockyLinux.

Both of the OS names suck though.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@oplink said: Both of the OS names suck though.

What OS name doesn't XD?

• I'm going to be building an AlmaLinux image either tonight or tomorrow.

• WolfWolf Member

Heya @dustinc!
    What do you think about this?
    Worth the effort to set it up on AMS? :)

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

@skorupion said:

@oplink said: Both of the OS names suck though.

What OS name doesn't XD?

Slackware ;)

• Tony40Tony40 Member
    edited March 2021

Contabo's has AlmaLinux OS, on it VPS in the Admin area!

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited March 2021

@momkin said:

@edoarudo5 said:

Your client doesn't want any downtime and you just upgraded the OS for him not knowing what's gonna happen if it fails :smiley:

I did inform him that maybe there will have some downtime that will last for a couple of hours if the "upgrade" didn't go well. If the conversion did fail, I planned on installing RHEL instead from scratch and restoring backups.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Wolf said:
    Heya @dustinc!
    What do you think about this?
    Worth the effort to set it up on AMS? :)

Hi @Wolf -- We are working on creating an AlmaLinux template for easy OS installations. We hope to have this fully tested and in production before the end of this week.

In the meantime, clients can always request a custom ISO to be mounted via support ticket. We're available 24x7 via ticket to help.

• @edoarudo5 said:

@RickBakkr said:

Update on this. I had the server reboot just now because of the kernel change and it's still smooth sailing so I guess the conversion went without a hitch.

Thanked by 1Pilotseye
  • refikrefik Member

@edoarudo5 said:
    Anyone already running DirectAdmin on this OS? How's the experience? Planning on converting one of my client's server.

Is there any easy way to convert from centos to almaos with DA on it.

• alwyzonalwyzon Member, Host Rep

@refik said:

Make a backup and see if the official Centos-to-AlmaLinux converter just works or if it breaks something: https://github.com/AlmaLinux/almalinux-deploy — and then share your experience. ;)

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@Boogeyman said:
    AlmaLinux stable 8.3 got released few hours back. When will our LowEndGoodProviders add AlmaLinux image on their platform? Mention your LowEndGoodProviders on this post to request AlmaLinux image added to their platform.

We have added AlmaLinux template for our OpenVZ 7 servers here: https://www.hetnix.com/openvz-servers

Also, ISO available for KVM servers.

So far, we have tested it with DirectAdmin and works fine, no bugs discovered... yet.

• @refik said:

@edoarudo5 said:
    Anyone already running DirectAdmin on this OS? How's the experience? Planning on converting one of my client's server.

My customer's server already had DA on it. I just ran the deploy script after doing a yum update.

• AlmaLinux template built and deployed. https://spearwarenetworks.com/vps-hosting/