Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Hosting Tips [Advice]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Game Hosting Tips [Advice]

amsaalamsaal Member
edited March 2021 in General

if suppose i have decided to host games for users like example start with few games .

what are the things i need to keep in mind like with

CPU Selection : Your Advice [AMD Ryzen 5 3600 or Intel i7 7700k]
HDD: EIther Nvme or SSD
RAM: ECC Memory 32 GB or 64 GB
Backup : locally or offsite

Provider: OVH
Anti DDOS: Yes with Game fillters

Any other things i am missing let me know.

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

go AMD and ECC memory

• @skorupion said:
    go AMD and ECC memory

right . noted for ECC memory .

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@amsaal said:

@skorupion said:
    go AMD and ECC memory

right . noted for ECC memory .

oh and for backup go onsite and offsite, if you value no downtime, one onsite (in another server) will let you restore the server within minutes, but if the datacenter burns down, then you will still be able to restore the server.

• what game ? CS ?

• @Jackma1 said:
    what game ? CS ?

yes

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@skorupion said:
    go AMD and ECC memory

ECC memory? I'd rather focus on making sure the memory was able to run at > 3000 MHz. For game servers that definitely matters more than having ECC.

Thanked by 1Wolf
  • LeviLevi Member

The biggest challenge will be massive and almost constant DDoS. So OVH is the best in this case. Others to follow: nforce.com. Don't concentrate on server specs. Network is essential for FPS games.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

@LTniger said:
    The biggest challenge will be massive and almost constant DDoS. So OVH is the best in this case. Others to follow: nforce.com. Don't concentrate on server specs. Network is essential for FPS games.

NForce.com is definitely not ideal when it comes to DDoS protection since they claim to have a detection time of 3 minutes because they use the scrubbing center method rather than having the protection be always on and inline.

We're currently setting up our new location in Equinix Amsterdam AM5. We'll have plenty of 7700, 9900, and 10900k's in stock with 80 Gbit/s of always-on and inline Corero DDoS protection, fine-tuned for specifically game servers as we are a GSP ourselves. DM me if you're interested.