Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fake information in VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fake information in VPS

Are there any LEB providers that allow the use of fake name during registration?
If I use fake information in a random provider will he ban me?

I am very concerned about my privacy and I don't want to use my real information.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I think yes, for the most host you need also a certificed paypal account.

• sure you can use fake name, I think a lot of people did this (not me I use my name)

• ReeceReece Member
    edited September 2013

Most providers have fraud systems in place, such information entered which is deemed as fake/incorrect to payment details would get blocked in most cases (Unless that provider isn't good on fraud)

I don't think you will find one willing. But most do have Privacy policy, as such we don't provide information to third-parties.

If your worried about people having your personal information then being online isn't the place to be.

Just have a chat with host's about their privacy policy's and ask if they are actually a legal cooperation as well -- If are they a registered business then you should be in safe hands, though I can't vouch for other peoples operations.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Whats the problem trusting a company your name? They are trusting you to use their services legally

Thanked by 1awson
  • really the only way the provider isn't going to know your name is if you pay with a paypal account with fake information. When you pay with paypal or a CC they pass that information along. Fake paypal info might put up fraud alarms.

• @PcJamesy said:
    really the only way the provider isn't going to know your name is if you pay with a paypal account with fake information. When you pay with paypal or a CC they pass that information along. Fake paypal info might put up fraud alarms.

Fake name + bitcoins = anonymity

• awsonawson Member
    edited September 2013

@alexis3333 said: I am very concerned about my privacy and I don't want to use my real information.

Then don't sign up with them.

• All I want is to host my personal mail server without a way for anyone to backtrace the domain back to me. No spamming or anything illegal.

And " don't sign up" is not a solution. I want to buy services but I also want privacy.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@alexis3333 said:
    Are there any LEB providers that allow the use of fake name during registration?
    If I use fake information in a random provider will he ban me?

I am very concerned about my privacy and I don't want to use my real information.

DO you let strangers in to your home?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:
    DO you let strangers in to your home?

Do you let strangers who tell you their name and other information in to your home?

• @AnthonySmith No because I am not a hotel. But some hotels don't require any documents to stay as long as you pay.

• @alexis3333 said:
    AnthonySmith No because I am not a hotel. But some hotels don't require any documents to stay as long as you pay.

Yeah. They're also the ones you see on the news for dugs, hookers, and human trafficing.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @alexis3333 said:
    AnthonySmith No because I am not a hotel. But some hotels don't require any documents to stay as long as you pay.

Sure, if you're paying hourly . . .

• alexis3333alexis3333 Member
    edited September 2013

@Microlinux said: Sure, if you're paying hourly . . .

So cloud is the way to go? :p

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@perennate said:
    Do you let strangers who tell you their name and other information in to your home?

haha ok you got me there.

My point being is as a service provider you have a duty of care to you clients, sadly the reality is the vast percentage of people who attempt to sign up with clearly fake details or miss matched billing/paying info do cause trouble and charge backs, about 2 years ago I had a VERY persistent person who would attempt to order about 10 times a day, not the brightest person as there was always a clue but when a few orders did get through the only reason was to launch DDOS attacks, I can hoestly say in my experience when something is clearly off about an order around 80% of the time it leads to abuse and that is why we have to be careful, not because of the trouble dealing with the abuse but the impact it has on others.

If you want complete anonymity on line you have to just accept that this excludes you from certain things, not because you mean to cause problems but because the vast majority that follow this pattern do.

if you just want an anonymous email account then gmail is a good place to start, you don't need a VPS for this. :)

Some hotels dont but I am guessing they dont offer quality accommodation and if they do and then everything gets messed up by people they cannot trace I don't expect they will stay in business very long or indeed be able to continue providing quality accommodation.

• Use byethost.com and others

• The only provider I know of that doesn't ask for personal information when you register is DigitalOcean. They just ask for an email address and password.

But you're only going to stay anonymous until you want to add money to the account.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited September 2013

The only effective way to do this is with a prepaid credit card, that's the only time I've put a fake name into a provider (Avante) because I did not trust them. Otherwise, if you sign up with a fake name and then pay with PayPal they still have your real information so it's pointless.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Italian law does not allow for anonymous service and they need at least the payment information when come with a warrant.
    That being said, there are quite a few providers offering free email accounts and free hosting with email and even free VPS.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2013

When I started the vps side of Catalyst, I had every intention of allowing people to remain anonymous. I allowed it, I watched the orders, and I watched the chargebacks cost me more than my overhead and several times more than my income in the first 3 months. It's just how it is. It isn't that everyone who wants to be anonymous is bad. It's that everyone who is bad (and not stupid) wants to be anonymous.

I almost always used fake info, this means it is possible and who wishes to stay anonymous can. I was also never been caught, but didnt create trouble either. On the other hand, in the case of OVH used real info. I didnt get the server, so it is ironic... Same with Burstnet long time ago. Used real info, but still no dice. Same with NCSoft (for lineage 2 subscription when it was on money. Used name card, all, they still forced me to buy prepaid cards because i was "using proxy" even though i tried tons of connections, from home, work, even friends with other providers.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

Why not use a VPS provider that allows their staff to use fake names? :)

• @MannDude said:

lol holy shit

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2013

@jarland said:
    When I started the vps side of Catalyst, I had every intention of allowing people to remain anonymous. I allowed it, I watched the orders, and I watched the chargebacks cost me more than my overhead and several times more than my income in the first 3 months. It's just how it is. It isn't that everyone who wants to be anonymous is bad. It's that everyone who is bad (and not stupid) wants to be anonymous.

You cannot chargeback Bitcoin. But of course there's other concerns.

edited September 2013

@MannDude said:

You think all john's and jane's in India or china use their real names ? You do not know whom you are talking to in a live chat or who replies your ticket, neither the host knows. They only have a contract with a company, same here. It is the business of the company to know their employees names and make sure everything is legal. It is not the concern of the host to make sure the people providing support use their own names, just that the contract between the companies is enforced.
    Everyone knows I am not John Deer, it is just an alias, everyone is free to publish their names and addresses so every nutcase out there will know where to go if the VPS is down for some reason or doesnt like the religion of the people providing support and make sure will never be up again.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Everyone knows I am not John Deer

No????? I was assured this was your name!!!!! This is really a bad new. Need to talk with your boss, you can't never trust people from Tagikistan :-(

• Uncle Sal sometime kinda cute. LOL. :p

• @Maounique said:
    Everyone knows I am not John Deer, it is just an alias

Aww, I thought I was talking to a super-intelligent tractor :(

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

why fake name, unless you want to carryout illegal activity.

there are other ways to maintain privacy...

something's fishy here. BeAware...

• I put fake info on all providers (10+) I signed up to on here, never had an issue. Just don't be a dick in the process and you'll be fine.