Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vps in downtown chicago roughly ~1ms from CME
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vps in downtown chicago roughly ~1ms from CME

looking for a windows vps in downtown chicago that's approximately 1ms from CME, need windows for NinjaTrader (futures scalping, nothing fishy).

shot in the dark, but figured its worth an attempt.

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Is it 1ms to www.cmegroup.com, or do you have another address to ping?

If that's the right IP then xenspec is about 1.4-1.5ms, looks like they're in coresite ch1. https://chi.lg.xenspec.com/

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • Good luck purchasing the shoe of your dreams.

Thanked by 2corbpie WSWD
  • https://servercheap.net/ is in downtown Chicago

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@SirFoxy said:
    looking for a windows vps in downtown chicago that's approximately 1ms from CME, need windows for NinjaTrader (futures scalping, nothing fishy).

Is this yet another scalper thread?
    If so, this belongs in the upcoming Drama category.

• umiumi Member
    edited March 2021

servercheap.net $2.99/mo vps
    ping time to www.cmegroup.com 1.36..1.46 ms
    host @CME a23-201-72-253.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com

• @SirFoxy said:

shot in the dark, but figured its worth an attempt.

I suggest go with VPS with at least 2 dedicated cpu core threads (preferably Ryzen). 4 dedicated cores will be better, especially if you are executing algorithms in a separate OS process.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @SCAM_DONT_BUY said:
    Good luck purchasing the shoe of your dreams.

this isn't shoe scalping lmao, this is scalping s&p 500 futures.

• @SirFoxy said:

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

Going the legal crime route this time, eh?

• @TimboJones said:

@SirFoxy said:

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

Going the legal crime route this time, eh?

being an illegal criminal isnt a sustainable business model unfortunately

• need a better ping test than www.cmegroup.com... since that's just their CDN.. need to figure out where API calls are sent and measure that.

adjacent.. my Chicago @hosthatch box has the best networking performance of my modest collection of VPS nodes from what I've measured thus far in max throughput with iperf,speedtest-cli and latency for most CDN endpoints

• I think you're posing the wrong question for multiple reasons:

1/ it doesn't matter cmegroup.com which is the public facing website. That's neither where your quotes nor your orders are coming from. That website could be housed in Oregon or who knows where but it won't be where the matching engine runs.
    2/ unless you are a CME member (and I presume you're not because the cost of membership alone would mean you wouldn't bother with a VPS or NinjaTrader), what actually matters is the ping to your data vendor and your broker. I believe Interactive Brokers' servers are in Frankfurt, Connecticut, and another somewhere in Apac that escapes me.
    3/ the ping is not the main holdup. Unless you are on SDMA (which if you are, again you'd not bother with VPS or NinjaTrader), the holdup will be on your broker's side as they will need many more ms than the ping from most data centers in North America to check whether your order meets their risk systems and then relay it to the exchange.
    4/ if your strategy really depends on such short latency (e.g. ETF vs futures arb), throw out NinjaTrader and VPS, and go to the CME and pay what it takes to get a dedicated box in their data center and put up the capital to get SDMA, and develop your own software in a high-speed language or pay someone to do it. If your strategy works, that upfront cost won't matter. If it doesn't then the latency won't matter.This is a game where you go big or go home.
    5/ if you're just doing a simple scalping strategy, then smart use of limit orders and contingent orders will put more work on the broker's side and then the delay will matter less.
    6/ don't do VPS, go dedicated for this. You can't afford to have a server reboot or interference from other people on the same box while you have orders in flight. This isn't the place to save a few bucks a month.
    7/ use your broker's demo environment to test a long while before you go live with real money. In fact, worth doing so even before you develop your strategy and have just a random strategy. Test your order management, reliability of infrastructure, and all that boring stuff heavily. See what happens if you reboot your server randomly whether it fails and restarts gracefully.

Thanked by 2yoursunny kkrajk
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited March 2021

@curmudgeon said:
    I think you're posing the wrong question for multiple reasons:

1/ it doesn't matter cmegroup.com which is the public facing website. That's neither where your quotes nor your orders are coming from. That website could be housed in Oregon or who knows where but it won't be where the matching engine runs.
    2/ unless you are a CME member (and I presume you're not because the cost of membership alone would mean you wouldn't bother with a VPS or NinjaTrader), what actually matters is the ping to your data vendor and your broker. I believe Interactive Brokers' servers are in Frankfurt, Connecticut, and another somewhere in Apac that escapes me.
    3/ the ping is not the main holdup. Unless you are on SDMA (which if you are, again you'd not bother with VPS or NinjaTrader), the holdup will be on your broker's side as they will need many more ms than the ping from most data centers in North America to check whether your order meets their risk systems and then relay it to the exchange.
    4/ if your strategy really depends on such short latency (e.g. ETF vs futures arb), throw out NinjaTrader and VPS, and go to the CME and pay what it takes to get a dedicated box in their data center and put up the capital to get SDMA, and develop your own software in a high-speed language or pay someone to do it. If your strategy works, that upfront cost won't matter. If it doesn't then the latency won't matter.This is a game where you go big or go home.
    5/ if you're just doing a simple scalping strategy, then smart use of limit orders and contingent orders will put more work on the broker's side and then the delay will matter less.
    6/ don't do VPS, go dedicated for this. You can't afford to have a server reboot or interference from other people on the same box while you have orders in flight. This isn't the place to save a few bucks a month.
    7/ use your broker's demo environment to test a long while before you go live with real money. In fact, worth doing so even before you develop your strategy and have just a random strategy. Test your order management, reliability of infrastructure, and all that boring stuff heavily. See what happens if you reboot your server randomly whether it fails and restarts gracefully.

the broker is phillips capital, also based in downtown chicago. but yes, ive been scalping with a 70-80% win rate with PATs. i mostly want the vps so it just stays open and i can rdp to it at anytime, good latency is a best case scenario though.

• Are they the ones who got hacked and had customer funds stolen recently?

Ive used Interactive Brokers since 2011 or 12 - their API is quite workable without going through another layer in multiple programming languages. They also support child orders so you can set the exit to go live in their systems as soon as the first one executes. I think if you let me refer you we both get some kind of bonus (used to be the case)

I'd say go dedicated- seriously one point messup on ES is more than saving on a vps instead. A vps is false economy here. What you save on windows and ninja trader license by going with IB will make up for that.

Watch out with scalping strategies for that left tail. You can be right 89% of the time and still lose money if your losses are big compared to your wins.

• @curmudgeon said:

Watch out with scalping strategies for that left tail. You can be right 89% of the time and still lose money if your losses are big compared to your wins.

Very true.

In my opinion, Price Action, over short or medium term, is the key.

I am also using Interactive Brokers.