Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSailor - ignorant, incapable and stupid?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSailor - ignorant, incapable and stupid?

jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
edited March 2021 in General

Yesterday I got an email from @HostSailor telling me that my VPS is suspended due to "bandwidth overusage" - out of the blue. Before the suspension I only got spam from them.

While it seems extremely unlikely that I used too much bandwidth because that VPS only runs a secondary NSD (with rate limit btw), I wanted to react constructively and today went to login and to look what went wrong - besides the usual problems with that box (I don't complain; the box is less than €10/year).

Well, I failed to login. Reason: I didn't complete the captcha. Simple reason: there was no captcha, only the usual two fields (email and password).

So I opened their web-chat and described the problem. A minute or so later 'Omar' responded and asked what my problem is. Great, I felt well right away seeing that Omar obviously didn't even read what I had written but rather robot-like dished out a canned line. So I told him that I had just written what the problem was and that he should read it.

Nothing. No reaction.

So I copied the error message into the chat. Omar asked me to provide a screenshot. I asked how I could send a screenshot via the web-chat.

Again no response.

But I was lucky and discovered a small icon that looked similar to the "attach" icon in my email client, and indeed when clicking on it I could open the screenshot file and transmit it.
Omar's reaction? He told me to create a ticket and explained to me how that's done (in other words, he assumed that I'm clueless and stupid).
I simply asked how I could open a ticket when I couldn't log in, to which he responded that I could send an email.
When asked why he wouldn't help me, he told me that he is only sales and can't access anything for support. So why, I wondered, did he request a screenshot? And why does HostSailor have sales available but not support?

End result: A suspended VPS and a customer who wanted to constructively react and got very poorly treated. And a customer who is under the clear impression that their, pardon me, clueless and ignorant staff makes it worse rather than resolving problems.

FWIW I also tried it with another browser (Firefox) too. It also didn't work, so the problem seems to be on their side.

TL;DR Poor, ignorant, and arrogant clueless support it seems plus internal problems. Get your act together HostSailor!

Thanked by 1goodwin

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited March 2021

@jsg said: Yesterday I got an email from @HostSailor telling me that my VPS is suspended due to "bandwidth overusage" - out of the blue.

Somone else complained about this in a recent thread:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/170660/whats-going-on-with-hostsailor-vps-suspended-multiple-times-a-day

So this seems to be a systematic issue.

• dodheimsgarddodheimsgard Member
    edited March 2021

You pay peanuts
    You get monkeys
    Anyway shame on you Hostsailor!

Thanked by 2jsg yoursunny
  • Thanked by 1Inglar
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@angstrom said:

@jsg said: Yesterday I got an email from @HostSailor telling me that my VPS is suspended due to "bandwidth overusage" - out of the blue.

Somone else complained about this in a recent thread:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/170660/whats-going-on-with-hostsailor-vps-suspended-multiple-times-a-day

So this seems to be a systematic issue.

Just glanced over that other thread. So it is a well known issue. That makes the whole thing even considerably worse and Omar's performance just ridiculously poor.

Maybe I just should forget about my €9 or so ... and about @HostSailor ...

--- UPDATE ---

At least they seem to have resolved their captcha problem, so I can log in although it's useless because all my panel tells is "suspended".

--- UPDATE ---
    I got a ticket response that there is a "bandwidth calculation tool" problem and that they resolved it.
    Hmmm ... can we trust that?

BTW, according to their own data may max traffic is 60 packets per second and average is below 1 per second. They must have a strange sense of humour at @HostSailor.

Next step: Shouldn't we be compensated for all the trouble and downtime? I'll ask them.

• @jsg said:
    Next step: Shouldn't we be compensated for all the trouble and downtime? I'll ask them.

Do you really expect compensation on a $9/yr service?
    I get that they are shit, but do you really think that asking for compensation is worth yours and their time?

• So that's why they need the flashy banner ad, because everyone else is running away from them.

@t0ny0 said:

@jsg said:

I get that they are shit, but do you really think that asking for compensation is worth yours and their time?

Yes, I think so. €9 or €900 my VPS was down plus they acted and reacted very poorly.
    On the other hand I of course see that it makes no sense to financially compensate but if I were in their shoes I would (be terribly ashamed and) offer at least a sign of good will and "sorry", maybe one extra week of service. The value would be financially insignificant but morally (as well as in terms of customer relationship) valuable and clear.

Not offering any compensation translates to "tough luck but frankly, we don't care a sh_t about you anyway".

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Sounds like someone did not test the code before deployment.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @jsg said:

@t0ny0 said:

@jsg said:

Yes, I think so. €9 or €900 my VPS was down plus they acted and reacted very poorly.
    On the other hand I of course see that it makes no sense to financially compensate but if I were in their shoes I would (be terribly ashamed and) offer at least a sign of good will and "sorry", maybe one extra week of service. The value would be financially insignificant but morally (as well as in terms of customer relationship) valuable and clear.

Not offering any compensation translates to "tough luck but frankly, we don't care a sh_t about you anyway".

When you put it that way - I agree. Ask and let us know what happened.
    To be honest - if it was me - I would just leave it at that, get my stuff and move elsewhere. But I can definitely see your point. Go for it!

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jsg said:

Your bandwidth has been doubled.

Please create a ticket when you are suspended again.
    To complete the captcha, do push-ups in front of your browser, and the system will let you in.

Thanked by 3Wolf Sanjue007 ariq01
    edited March 2021

@t0ny0 said:
    When you put it that way - I agree. Ask and let us know what happened.
    To be honest - if it was me - I would just leave it at that, get my stuff and move elsewhere. But I can definitely see your point. Go for it!

I already did and will report back. Until now I only have a "I'll hand it over" (to management I suppose) preliminary response.

@yoursunny said:

@jsg said:

To complete the captcha, do push-ups in front of your browser, and the system will let you in.

Please kindly refrain from abusing this thread for your obtrusive push-ups BS.

• LeviLevi Member

Where is screenshot of tickets? We need to see a source of incompetence as well as your replies. Most of the time it is pure PMS and provider done nothing wrong.

So, gather your papers boy.

• @yoursunny said:

I saw something innovative lately the 1000% uptime guarantee... but low end host can practice in 500% as 100% is not enough

We live in the time of hourly service so for every hour down you get 10 hours of service = 1000% up time guarantee

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Sailor is drunk and his ship is sinking.

edited March 2021

@jsg said:

Please kindly refrain from abusing this thread

@Nekki said we can derail threads, and I believe in her.
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3203442/#Comment_3203442

Maybe you should post a photo of someone attractive wearing a HostSailor shirt or hat, looking disgruntled?
    Bonus point if that person is your mom.

• just wanted to join in the royal rumble with this comment.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited March 2021

@yoursunny said: Maybe you should post a photo of someone attractive wearing a HostSailor shirt or hat, looking disgruntled? Bonus point if that person is your mom.

As a person appointed as a researcher in NIST, do you want that statement to be representative of who you are?

Make a second account if you want to troll, you can also mention "PMS", "the end is nigh", and other common LET-isms.

@stevewatson301 said:

@yoursunny said: Maybe you should post a photo of someone attractive wearing a HostSailor shirt or hat, looking disgruntled? Bonus point if that person is your mom.

As a person appointed as a researcher in NIST, do you want that statement to be representative of who you are?

Make a second account if you want to troll, you can also mention "PMS", "the end is nigh", and other common LET-isms.

Everything I wrote here and on Twitter is personal opinion and doesn't represent my agency.

Thanked by 2brueggus skorous
  • HostSailorHostSailor Member, Patron Provider

@jsg said:
    Yesterday I got an email from @HostSailor telling me that my VPS is suspended due to "bandwidth overusage" - out of the blue. Before the suspension I only got spam from them.

While it seems extremely unlikely that I used too much bandwidth because that VPS only runs a secondary NSD (with rate limit btw), I wanted to react constructively and today went to login and to look what went wrong - besides the usual problems with that box (I don't complain; the box is less than €10/year).

Well, I failed to login. Reason: I didn't complete the captcha. Simple reason: there was no captcha, only the usual two fields (email and password).

So I opened their web-chat and described the problem. A minute or so later 'Omar' responded and asked what my problem is. Great, I felt well right away seeing that Omar obviously didn't even read what I had written but rather robot-like dished out a canned line. So I told him that I had just written what the problem was and that he should read it.

Nothing. No reaction.

So I copied the error message into the chat. Omar asked me to provide a screenshot. I asked how I could send a screenshot via the web-chat.

Again no response.

But I was lucky and discovered a small icon that looked similar to the "attach" icon in my email client, and indeed when clicking on it I could open the screenshot file and transmit it.
    Omar's reaction? He told me to create a ticket and explained to me how that's done (in other words, he assumed that I'm clueless and stupid).
    I simply asked how I could open a ticket when I couldn't log in, to which he responded that I could send an email.
    When asked why he wouldn't help me, he told me that he is only sales and can't access anything for support. So why, I wondered, did he request a screenshot? And why does HostSailor have sales available but not support?

End result: A suspended VPS and a customer who wanted to constructively react and got very poorly treated. And a customer who is under the clear impression that their, pardon me, clueless and ignorant staff makes it worse rather than resolving problems.

FWIW I also tried it with another browser (Firefox) too. It also didn't work, so the problem seems to be on their side.

TL;DR Poor, ignorant, and arrogant clueless support it seems plus internal problems. Get your act together HostSailor!

Hi jsg,
    please provide me with your ticket ID so I can pass it to our team to investigate your problem

edited March 2021

@HostSailor said:
    Hi jsg,
    please provide me with your ticket ID so I can pass it to our team to investigate your problem

PM'd it.

@yoursunny said:
    Everything I wrote here and on Twitter is personal opinion and doesn't represent my agency.

... or so you think ...

Btw, I don't care what Nekki said in another thread and another context. I know people who even say that sex with kids is OK, even good for the kids - but that doesn't make it so.

@jsg said:
    Btw, I don't care what Nekki said in another thread and another context. I know people who even say that sex with kids is OK, even good for the kids - but that doesn't make it so.

Sex with kids is not OK in most places.

I know people who even say that 64-bit network addressing is nice, even good for the future - but that doesn't make it so.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:

@jsg said:

I know people who even say that 64-bit network addressing is nice, even good for the future - but that doesn't make it so.

1. Download better LET
    2. Add jsg into comment filtering
    3. peace
  • darbdarb Member

@jsg said:

Nothing. No reaction.

Again no response.

What I usually do when dealing with CSRs that are struggling with basic reasoning/logic functions is ask "is this a bot" and it usually generates a little more helpful respones.

• ^ Been there; done that. ;)

@yoursunny said:

@jsg said:

Sex with kids is never and nowhere OK

Still better than those who with religious fervor but without good actual reason demand 64-bit to the square networking. Gladly that doesn't make it so although they try really hard to push that BS down our throats since decades.

• HostTitanic :D

Thanked by 3yoursunny bulbasaur jsg

-- Update --

No further reaction so far. Sad, very sad.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Ditch 'em.