Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server.IT SCAM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server.IT SCAM

Recently:

Good morning,
Recently some VPS (promo series services) have been used by some users in an anomalous way and against our regulations causing spamming and problems with some of our suppliers.
This has forced us to protect all our customers and others our classes and therefore in very fast times we have had to act in this sense:
All promo VPS will no longer be able to send mail with a Internal SMTP but only with an External SMTP
If you want this feature you can buy it the separate service by upgrading the SMTP OUT option.
The mail sending service through internal SMTP will be suspended from 23 March 2021 at 10 AM (Europe/Rome time).
We still apologize for this decision and this change in such fast times but we are having problems due to users who make improper use of the service.
Regards,
Server.IT Staff

SMTP Unlocked Cost 79 EUR/Yr.

VPS Promo Cost 11.88 EUR/Yr.

"This has forced us to protect all our customers" - They mean "to abuse all our customers"!

Comments

• How’s this scam?

• How is this a scam bud? Did they specifically advertise it as an SMTP vps?

• Not a scam - they are explicitly following their Terms of service:

_16) Changes

Art. 16.1 Virtual Solution reserves the right to change the conditions indicated in this agreement and the fees applicable to this agreement at any time, by giving notice by e-mail.

Art. 16.2 The Customer has the right to withdraw within 15 days by written communication, to be sent by fax or by e-mail. In case of lack of communication by the Customer, the changes made are considered accepted and will come into force at the first contract renewal._

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Yea... This isn't a scam. If they advertised as having mail ports open, then said you had to pay a fee for them to actually be open, that would be a scam. I don't think it's reasonable to charge a fee for this, but it's not a scam.

• They want much money for SMTP. It was not in the yearly contract.

to protect all our customers

It's lie.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2021

@netguy said:
    They want much money for SMTP. It was not in the yearly contract.

It's lie.

Potentially not. To simplify it:

The issue is that if a lot of abuse originates from the IP-Resources of a specific provider/host/operator, then this may lead to all of their resources having problems in mail delivery due to blacklisting.

• @DataGizmos said:
    Not a scam - they are explicitly following their Terms of service:

_16) Changes

Art. 16.1 Virtual Solution reserves the right to change the conditions indicated in this agreement and the fees applicable to this agreement at any time, by giving notice by e-mail.

Art. 16.2 The Customer has the right to withdraw within 15 days by written communication, to be sent by fax or by e-mail. In case of lack of communication by the Customer, the changes made are considered accepted and will come into force at the first contract renewal._

The last line is counterintuitive to the provider's change. They should remove that sentence so it'll apply by the 15 days without written withdrawal.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Probably hit a bad RBL and got threats from a server / colo provider.

• @netguy said:

It's lie.

It's not. Many residential ISP'S block mail right from the start to prevent spam. So do many VPS providers and others only open port 25 with a ticket and reasonable request.

But you're a shitty customer. What you should have done was contact them and kindly inform them that you purchased the VPS with the express intent to send mail from it that isn't spam. See if they'll refund, credit or just give you the SMTP package for first year free.

But you went and threw a sissy fit. I'd refund you if I was the provider.

Thanked by 1g4m3r
  • @TimboJones said:
    But you're a shitty customer.

It's better to be a shitty customer than a shitty hoster! One shitty customer is one customer but a shitty hoster is a great problem for all its customers. Server.it is shitty!!!

• @netguy said:
    It's better to be a shitty customer than a shitty hoster! One shitty customer is one customer but a shitty hoster is a great problem for all its customers. Server.it is shitty!!!

You should join the Olympics, you're very good at mental gymnastics.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

It's all good folks.

It's the PMS kicking in.

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@netguy said:

You should join the Olympics, you're very good at mental gymnastics.

Thanks a lot :)

• Not a scam. Looks like they really just don't want more glue sniffers using their services to send spam and other associated crap. Make the price really high so nobody buys it, and if they do, they aren't likely to do the stupid things on it, and the provider makes a good profit.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Sigh, another kid having PMS...

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 2021

PMS...

• @netguy said:

If are so unhappy with the service, ask for refund for the remainder of the term and move to another provider.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @dev_vps said:

@netguy said:

If are so unhappy with the service, ask for refund for the remainder of the term and move to another provider.

But then how will OP PMS and create drama here :neutral:

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • Thanked by 1ariq01
  • You have been deemed unqualified to manage a virtual machine on our platform.

Please find another provider.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • _MS__MS_ Member

@Dazzle said:
    You have been deemed unqualified to manage a virtual machine on our platform.

Hi, Alex Lee.

• LeviLevi Member

PMS fumes all over the thread, inhale deeply.

Thanked by 1its420somewhere
  • @Dazzle said:

I believe that the statement "have been used by some users" doesn't pin the problem to a specific user.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• @javax1 said:

@Dazzle said:

I believe that the statement "have been used by some users" doesn't pin the problem to a specific user.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Because he doesn't understand the business of hosting enough to understand preventing email spam servers on $12/year service is not abuse and makes the network healthier. He's a fucking crybaby and quite likely part of the problem. After all, he never started off the post like, "this affects my legitimate email server..."

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@netguy said:

It costs a lot of money to clean up after spammer a__holes.

Btw, why do you still have your VPS with them, if they are a oh soooooo evil provider?

• @jsg said:

@netguy said:

Btw, why do you still have your VPS with them, if they are a oh soooooo evil provider?

Cause even shared hosts offer SMTP? What the fuck are you even arguing about? 79 a year for SMTP...lol out of the their fucking mind.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@serv_ee said:

@jsg said:

@netguy said:

Cause even shared hosts offer SMTP? What the fuck are you even arguing about? 79 a year for SMTP...lol out of the their fucking mind.

Everyone is free to pick from cheaper offers ...

• @TimboJones said: After all, he never started off the post like, "this affects my legitimate email server..."

And since when are users required to start posts with a statement like that? Neither he started the post stating that he didn't run a legitimate server.

@TimboJones said: Because he doesn't understand the business of hosting enough to understand preventing email spam servers on $12/year service is not abuse and makes the network healthier

He is a user (likely a consumer in the eyes of the law if he did not registered as a business and the provider is registered within the EU), not a provider so he is not required to understand the business. Besides that SMPT OUT was part of the YEARLY offering as far as I am aware, so it is rightful for the consumer to assume and expect that it will remain part of the offering for the period contracted - unless the provider limited the use of the feature at the point of sale.

@TimboJones said: quite likely part of the problem

Once again, he was not pinpointed as part of the problem. The provider mentioned "some users"

@TimboJones said: He's a fucking crybaby

I find this a bit rude, is it really that difficult not to offend others?

• @serv_ee said:

@jsg said:

@netguy said:

Shared hosts have limits and spam filters. 50 is default on one I use.

• @javax1 said:

@TimboJones said: After all, he never started off the post like, "this affects my legitimate email server..."

And since when are users required to start posts with a statement like that? Neither he started the post stating that he didn't run a legitimate server.

Are you serious? You mean context and the full story? Yeah, that's expected. When people leave out pertinent details, it's usually for a reason that reflects poorly on OP.

@TimboJones said: Because he doesn't understand the business of hosting enough to understand preventing email spam servers on $12/year service is not abuse and makes the network healthier

He is a user (likely a consumer in the eyes of the law if he did not registered as a business and the provider is registered within the EU), not a provider so he is not required to understand the business. Besides that SMPT OUT was part of the YEARLY offering as far as I am aware, so it is rightful for the consumer to assume and expect that it will remain part of the offering for the period contracted - unless the provider limited the use of the feature at the point of sale.

He does need to understand how an industry works to be aware of potential issues. You don't know how ransomware works but you better be fucking aware of it, right? We all know spam exists and it's a major issue for mail delivery. Fucking know this.

Most importantly, he needs to know what "scam" is before blasting someone (hint, it requires intent), FFS. If you read my previous post, I said he should have contacted the provider to seek compensation before being a dick.

Hell, maybe he did and conveniently left that out, too.

@TimboJones said: quite likely part of the problem

Once again, he was not pinpointed as part of the problem. The provider mentioned "some users"

Right. No one specifically was, so it's a general problem. But again, OP never complained his legitimate, required mail service was impacted.

@TimboJones said: He's a fucking crybaby

I find this a bit rude, is it really that difficult not to offend others?

I try, but it is difficult when people use "scam" incorrectly. Worse than being rude. Being called a criminal is way worse than being called an asshole. Jesus Christ.