Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Portland VPS, dedi, or colo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Portland VPS, dedi, or colo

aiden1aiden1 Member
edited March 2021 in Requests

Looking for one in or around Portland. Must be <5ms to AWS. Feel free to DM me offers too.

Budget: Under $30/m

Payment method: anything except paypal

Requirements:

• 1GB ram+
  • 10GB disk+ SSD or NVME
  • At least 20-30TB bw, prefer unmetered shared, singlehomed HE is fine, 100Mbit+
  • IPv6 /48
  • IPv4 2
  • BGP optional but preferred
  • DDOS protection optional but preferred
  • No OVZ
  • Local IP - Akamai and other really don't like or send on wild goose chase for ripe/ovh/etc. for some reason, and I am powerless to change this. Latency somewhat sensitive. This means no OVH HIL, H4Y/Tier, Mivo unfortunately, even though those are the cheapest.

I'm hosting an realtime IoT-related API - people counting, social distancing - for local users and do not need mail ports or SMTP or anything like that. All the users will be on ISPs that peer on the NWAX exchange if it helps.

Comments

• ChocowebChocoweb Member
    edited March 2021

Only know this https://directspace.net/
    5ms to AWS via NWAX
    probably singlehomed HE HE+Cogent

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited March 2021

We have a Portland OR location...

Test IP: 139.64.132.2

• @raindog308 basement

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You do not want to host there. Total nightmare. I think @Francisco cut his teeth at DirectSpace or had some relation to them. Never heard a single positive thing about DirectSpace.

@aiden1 said: <5ms to AWS

Seriously...

@Chocoweb said: 5ms to AWS via NWAX

How is this possible?

AWS in Oregon is in either Boardman or Umatilla last I checked. Those are in the middle of the freakin' desert. Umatilla is 185 miles East of Portland, and Boardman is 166 miles East of Portland.

In pristine conditions (direct fiber optic link), you eat up about 8ms per mile.

Google Cloud is in the Dalles, which is a lot closer...but still 100 miles away from Umatilla.

• @raindog308 said: How is this possible?

I failed geology and/or geometry, but didn't realize just how badly haha.

I mentioned HE because HE's LG consistently gives these results from Pittock:

• @raindog308 said:

You do not want to host there. Total nightmare. I think @Francisco cut his teeth at DirectSpace or had some relation to them. Never heard a single positive thing about DirectSpace.

@aiden1 said: <5ms to AWS

Seriously...

@Chocoweb said: 5ms to AWS via NWAX

How is this possible?

AWS in Oregon is in either Boardman or Umatilla last I checked. Those are in the middle of the freakin' desert. Umatilla is 185 miles East of Portland, and Boardman is 166 miles East of Portland.

In pristine conditions (direct fiber optic link), you eat up about 8ms per mile.

You're off by a factor of 1000. That's 8 us (microseconds) per mile. You didn't even sanity check that 100 miles would be 800 ms when cross country is less than 100ms?

• I also wanted to ask a silly question, but why not host at AWS itself?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@TimboJones said:
    You're off by a factor of 1000. That's 8 us (microseconds) per mile. You didn't even sanity check that 100 miles would be 800 ms when cross country is less than 100ms?

(blushing)...no. Sorry. I’m a software guy and should not be trusted with networks.

• @raindog308 said:

@TimboJones said:

(blushing)...no. Sorry. I’m a software guy and should not be trusted with networks.

You're supposed to blame the asshole who started "us" for microseconds. Sure, two "ms's" would be confusing.

• @TimboJones said: I also wanted to ask a silly question, but why not host at AWS itself?

The primaries are at us-west-2 DynamoDB and RDS
    Just looking for more appservers and for failover.

@raindog308 said: (blushing)...no. Sorry. I’m a software guy and should not be trusted with networks.

Explain software defined networks, then ;)

• @aiden1 said:

@TimboJones said: I also wanted to ask a silly question, but why not host at AWS itself?

The primaries are at us-west-2 DynamoDB and RDS
    Just looking for more appservers and for failover.

So I recommend you Google Cloud Oregon, or other good hosts in Seattle.