Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help - VPS is reaching limit of disk space - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help - VPS is reaching limit of disk space

2»

Comments

• @skorupion said:

@tetech said: Your signature violates the rules

Happy now?
    I'm not the only one who breaks this rule, as it more applies to threads and comments, than signatures.
    I'm yet to see a person being reprimanded for not having a non-aff link in their signature by a **mod or an admin **

Normally, we'd flag the post and comment to a mod and then they sort it out over PM. You could have just said, "thanks, fixed." He just gave you a friendly heads up instead of you getting PM'd by a mod and wasting their time, too.

• Try the following.. shows you desc sorted list of 25 folders/files taking highest space.

du -a -h --max-depth=1 / | sort -hr | head -25

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • You should try alpine linux, it takes up the least amount of space.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@TimboJones said:

@skorupion said:

Happy now?
    I'm not the only one who breaks this rule, as it more applies to threads and comments, than signatures.
    I'm yet to see a person being reprimanded for not having a non-aff link in their signature by a **mod or an admin **

Normally, we'd flag the post and comment to a mod and then they sort it out over PM. You could have just said, "thanks, fixed." He just gave you a friendly heads up instead of you getting PM'd by a mod and wasting their time, too.

Then for mods:
    Sebster27
    JasonM
    lentro

• @skorupion said:

@TimboJones said:

@skorupion said:

Happy now?

Then for mods:
    Sebster27
    JasonM
    lentro

You use the Flag link above the post and below their username.

• @SCAM_DONT_BUY said: Start removing whitespaces and tabs where it's not required. Every byte counts.

Also CRLF>LF

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

@niceboy said:
    Try the following.. shows you desc sorted list of 25 folders/files taking highest space.

du -a -h --max-depth=1 / | sort -hr | head -25

^ this

Also you can trim it down to just the most recent kernel, not 2-3 stored, and that'll save you like 150-300MB.

dpkg --list | grep linux-image-*

Anything with 'ii' next to it is installed, check which you're running/is the latest, then delete the other(s) with apt purge linux-image-5.4.0-66-generic - just be sure to leave the 'linux-image-generic' item alone.

Thanked by 1licher70
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2021

@seriesn said:
    A bare metal installation would take 2+GB

https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/installation

Once you add any other packages, there’s really not much room to play with.

FWIW Debian's documented absolute minimum for installation is 780 MB disk space (https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/i386/ch02s05.html.en), but they recommend 2 GB space and 128 MB RAM minimum (https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/i386/ch03s04.html.en).

For an installation with very low space, you could try using btrfs and enabling zstd compression. This would work best if you have a lot of very compressible files (plain text, eg source code, HTML files, etc).

If you've got very low RAM (128 MB), it may be a good idea to use 32-bit rather than 64-bit, as the smaller pointers will save you a little bit of RAM. Just ensure it's not a PAE kernel (eg the regular Debian i686 kernel is fine). Just make sure all your apps run on 32-bit. All apps packaged with Debian support 32-bit, but some third party software is 64-bit-only now.

Thanked by 2seriesn _MS_
  • @Daniel15 said:

@seriesn said:
    A bare metal installation would take 2+GB

https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/installation

Once you add any other packages, there’s really not much room to play with.

FWIW Debian's documented absolute minimum for installation is 780 MB disk space (https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/i386/ch02s05.html.en), but they recommend 2 GB space and 128 MB RAM minimum (https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/i386/ch03s04.html.en).

For an installation with very low space, you could try using btrfs and enabling zstd compression. This would work best if you have a lot of very compressible files (plain text, eg source code, HTML files, etc).

If you've got very low RAM (128 MB), it may be a good idea to use 32-bit rather than 64-bit, as the smaller pointers will save you a little bit of RAM. Just ensure it's not a PAE kernel (eg the regular Debian i686 kernel is fine). Just make sure all your apps run on 32-bit. All apps packaged with Debian support 32-bit, but some third party software is 64-bit-only now.

Lately, ubuntu has been more focused on competing with windows instead of actually standard nix systems. Gotten very bloaty straight out of the box. Nothing beats good ol lean debian, or for the yoloers, Alpine.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • tomazutomazu Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

Can you post the results of fdisk -l or similar to see your partitioning scheme?

• It seems like the OP wanted a "quick fix" for their issue. Turns out, there isn't one.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@stevewatson301 said:
    It seems like the OP wanted a "quick fix" for their issue. Turns out, there isn't one.

There are two:

# limit systemd logs to 50MB
    sudo sed -i -E '/^#?SystemMaxUse=/ s|.*|SystemMaxUse=50M|' /etc/systemd/journald.conf

# delete temporary files
    sudo rm -rf /tmp/*

Add a space after p for extra effect.

Always understand what a command does before you proceed.

• Most likely the problem is log growth. The apt cleaning commands you ran just clear out local cached copies of deb packages and related files from /var/cache/apt. Run du -shc /var/* and du -shc /var/log/* to check. Or ncdu /var/ if you have that installed. A common cause of sudden log growth is a brute-force login attempt against your SSH daemon causing a lot of log entries, perhaps install fail2ban to reduce that if this appears to be the issue in your case (though f2b won't help much for distributed attempts).