Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More ChicagoVPS Data Loss - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

More ChicagoVPS Data Loss

2»

Comments

• @AnthonySmith

I also wanted to say from a providers perspective is it tough because naturally you want to get everything back on line in its original state but with the size of arrays these days you have to weigh up the benefit and potential failure of your attempts to resolve the problem against the down time for customers, if it was not a VPS environment and you could spend 2 - 3 days working on it then you probably have a great chance of complete data recovery but no one wants a VPS down for 3 days.

>

Very good point. Sometimes it's best to bite the bullet and get the node back up so at least the customer has something they are paying for.

Also in my experience, most customers take their own backups and are just waiting for a blank box to restore their backup to. You can't really keep those guys offline while you try to salvage data for the customers who didn't bother backing up.

• @CheapVPS said: Also in my experience, most customers take their own backups and are just waiting for a blank box to restore their backup to. You can't really keep those guys offline while you try to salvage data for the customers who didn't bother backing up.

Be that as it may, there are many newcomers (newbies, if you prefer), like me, who don't know any better, especially when the provider advertises a backup service included in the package (read: something I paid them for!). Back when, for me, that was a big deal. Well, like I said, stupid me, I should have known better than to trust a provider's sales pitch ;)

• @andrzej I guess it's down to the provider to ensure customers know the score. The provider is setting themselves up for failure by misleading like that - disk failures are inevitable at the end of the day, it's a case of 'when' not 'if'.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@andrzej said:
    Be that as it may, there are many newcomers (newbies, if you prefer), like me, who don't know any better, especially when the provider advertises a backup service included in the package (read: something I paid them for!). Back when, for me, that was a big deal. Well, like I said, stupid me, I should have known better than to trust a provider's sales pitch ;)

Ah well that is different if your paying for your host to keep backups, I make it clear your backup is your responsibility and I even provide free offsite ftp+rsync space for people to keep backups if they want it, sadly that never makes you feel any better when an array fails.

• Some more "information":

The problem here was the bad HDD was causing so much load when the new weekly backup was about to run so what it did was delete all the old backup's to get ready but then the transfer failed due to the connection dropped so it moved on to the next node. I am very sorry.

So it's all gone. Not losing 12 hours or even a weeks worth, 100% loss. Like I said, I had everything mostly backed up. Does this reason make sense to those of you more "in the know" than me?

• It makes sense in the context that ChicagoVPS is run by idiots. Of course they could break backups in profound ways

• @texteditor said:
    It makes sense in the context that ChicagoVPS is run by idiots. Of course they could break backups in profound ways

+1

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited September 2013

the transfer failed due to the connection dropped

Could the connection have dropped due to CVPS/ColoCrossing having a shitty network perhaps? I posted test results in another thread for my CVPS VPS in Buffalo and the results from most locations are below 1MB/s (. CC in Los Angeles isn't much better as shown by the difference in network speeds between my CVPS Los Angeles VPS and Iniz Los Angeles VPS. Both are in the Quadranet Datacenter but CVPS is with ColoCrossing while Iniz is directly with Quadranet.

CVPS Los Angeles on ColoCrossing's network

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 15.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.05MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 15.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 19.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 12.2MB/s

Iniz directly with Quadranet (no CC network)

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 39.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.99MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 48.6MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 99.8MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 18.6MB/s 
  • so what it did was delete all the old backup's to get ready

one does not simply delete all backups

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, old backup is deleted AFTER the new one succeeds, I must agree, this was a blunder.