Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Higher Clock Speed or more Core ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Higher Clock Speed or more Core ?

Currently my site on vps with 1 core Intel xeon CPU E5-2680 v2 2.80 Ghz
Using aapanel with 1gb ram. While observing, my max limit concurrent visitors is 50-55, even though I was using litespeed cache.
After that my site just went brrr, keep loading, cpu usage 100% and load status 100%

I plan to upgrade my plan, should I get more core or higher clock speed in my case ?

Comments

• Higher clock will handle the requests quicker but more cores tends to be better, 2.8GHz is a fair balance between the two so if it's the same/similar spec CPU upgrade and get more cores.

Thanked by 1tokoyuki
  • @WSCallum said:
    Higher clock will handle the requests quicker but more cores tends to be better, 2.8GHz is a fair balance between the two so if it's the same/similar spec CPU upgrade and get more cores.

How about 1 core with 3.5 + Ghz vs 2 core with 2.4Ghz ?
    Besides, I don't know if aapanel or other panels can use 2 core efficiently or not.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

For my handwritten apps: more cores > newer CPU generation > higher clock speed.

More cores enable better parallelism.
    If the app is designed to be lock-free, it can benefit from more cores.

Newer CPU generation supports modern instruction sets, which allows the compiler to produce more efficient binary code.
    You need to compile the app to take advantage of those instructions though.
    Moreover, newer CPU generation typically has more L2 and L3 caches, as well as supports faster RAM, which also improves performance.

Higher clock speed makes single-thread program run faster.
    However, the clock speed is approaching physical limits.

Thanked by 3tokoyuki Wolf nick_
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Higher clock can help, but it could also be that your web apps need optimising anyway.

I would look at where the bottleneck is (is it PHP, DB, etc) and go from there - as it might just be a case of needing more RAM for query caching, etc.

Thanked by 1tokoyuki
  • If the issue is concurrent requests then more cores might better, but it depends on where the load is coming from. If it is mostly from a single-threaded task (a node-based app that doesn't use service workers or multiple processes to spread the load off the main thread, for instance) then a faster single core would be better.

Though make sure that the high CPU load isn't tasks in io-wait states. If a significant portion of it is then the issue is more likely IO contention directly (many tasks hitting disk at the same time, hitting the IOPs limit you are allocated) or indirectly (running out of RAM so you are swap-thrashing (if your VPS has its own swap, of course, which will depend on which hypervisor is in use)).

Thanked by 1tokoyuki
  • What is your desired concurrency?

• @tokoyuki said:
    Using aapanel with 1gb ram. While observing, my max limit concurrent visitors is 50-55, even though I was using litespeed cache.
    After that my site just went brrr, keep loading, cpu usage 100% and load status 100%

I plan to upgrade my plan, should I get more core or higher clock speed in my case ?

do you have swap
    did you configure PHP and mysql

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 2021

Two cores is better than one. After two, on a unitasker server it's better to increase frequency but if you do lots of different things than more cores.

Thanked by 1tokoyuki
  • @kkrajk said:
    What is your desired concurrency?

I don't really know, but more is better, I am just afraid my site can't grow because it limits the concurrent visitors.

@notarobo said:

@tokoyuki said:

do you have swap

I check with free -h, it shows total memory 821mb and swap 1Gb.
    I just use one click installer on aapanel with optional manual installation memcached and redis

• notarobonotarobo Member
    edited March 2021

@tokoyuki said:

@kkrajk said:

I don't really know, but more is better, I am just afraid my site can't grow because it limits the concurrent visitors.

@notarobo said:

@tokoyuki said:

do you have swap

I just use one click installer on aapanel with optional manual installation memcached and redis

did PHP install memcache/redis extension too
    and also php session use redis instead of files

using PHP 7.4?

have you configure the DB optimization for less ram use

your VPS total memory 821mb?

using what OS and kernal

can show screenshot running htop

• tokoyukitokoyuki Member
    edited March 2021

@notarobo said:

@tokoyuki said:

@kkrajk said:

@notarobo said:

@tokoyuki said:

do you have swap

using PHP 7.4?

using what OS and kernal

Yes, I am using php 7.4, already installed the extension memcache and redist on php setting.
    Using centos 8, don't know how to check kernel
    What DB optimization ? I don't know about that, how to do that ?

• notarobonotarobo Member
    edited March 2021

@tokoyuki said:

@notarobo said:

@tokoyuki said:

@kkrajk said:

@notarobo said:

@tokoyuki said:

do you have swap

using PHP 7.4?

using what OS and kernal

Yes, I am using php 7.4, already installed the extension memcache and redist on php setting.

PHP manage -> session configuration > redis or memcached

kernel check - uname -r

DB optimization > mysqldmanage > optimization , this is up to u how to optimise.

Thanked by 1tokoyuki
  • @notarobo said:

@tokoyuki said:

@notarobo said:

@tokoyuki said:

@kkrajk said:

@notarobo said:

@tokoyuki said:

do you have swap

using PHP 7.4?

using what OS and kernal

PHP manage -> session configuration > redis or memcached

kernel check - uname -r

DB optimization > mysqldmanage > optimization , this is up to u how to optimise.

Thanks, feels a lot faster, kernel check show
    4.18.0-80.el8.x86_64

• edited March 2021

@tokoyuki said:

I choose peocessor with higher multicore GeekBench 5 score

• pkrpkr Member

@tokoyuki said:

Neither more core nor higher clock speed will work if you get VPS from a shitty provider.

E.g. If you get 16 cores VPS from SSDNodes, the VPS will be useless because they sell yellow potty as gold.
    On the other hand, if you get even 1 core VPS from NexusBytes @seriesn , it will work like a charm.

So, in my experience, providers matter most.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • Is this for wordpress? At 50-55 concurrent visitors, faster cores are probably more important than having more cores. I really can't trust most panels to handle wordpress and multithreading properly, but you are probably fine if it's like 2 cores.

So assuming you have money and just want a better experience for yourself and your visitors... Get a 2 core vps with modern cpus.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@smallbibi said:
    I really can't trust most panels to handle wordpress and multithreading properly, but you are probably fine if it's like 2 cores.

1. #DeleteWordPress
    2. Delete all "panels"
    3. Hand-write the app in Rust or Go
    4. Your app is much more efficient and can handle more requests with less hardware
  • you need more ram .

• pbxpbx Member
    edited March 2021

Sounds like you don't need more cores, but better optimization (do you use full page caching?) and - maybe but far from sure, optimize your config files before! - more RAM.