Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Source Control Panel Closest to cPanel? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open Source Control Panel Closest to cPanel?

Comments

• @kidrock said: I am also currently trying aapanel and found it's easy to use...

@kidrock, does AAPanel look and feel anything like cPanel? How important is nginx for you and could you settle for Lightspeed?

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

@kidrock said: As you are using cyberpanel too, can nginx be installed on it?

No, you need to use litespeed (whichever version you choose the open one or paid one.)

@kidrock said: And how is cyberpanel compared to aapanel for ease of use?

It honestly seems more up-to-date with the GUI. It has one-click install WordPress, Joomla, Git, Presta shop, etc... And the rest are available via docker. It has the same auto issue SSL from Let's encrypt. And I think it actually may have an easier GUI, but one thing is different and that is that their forum is less active, ie with aapanel it will take 24 hr to answer your post on the forum, while on cyberpanel it may take a week or two. But I am yet to need to post on the forum, as most things can be solved on their discord with community support.

And cyberpanel has account management where you can create more than one account, with options for resellers and end users.

@Offshore_Solutions said: @kidrock, does AAPanel look and feel anything like cPanel? How important is nginx for you and could you settle for Lightspeed?

NOT even close, aapanel is meant for personal use where you can only have one account.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • Open source but not free and definitely quality, ApisCp @nem

Thanked by 3nem Ganonk kaz050457
  • @kidrock said: cyberpanel too, can nginx be installed on it?

Cyberpanel is developed by Litespeed corp itself. I do not think they will add nginx or any other web server

@elliotc said: Cyberpanel is developed by Litespeed corp itself. I do not think they will add nginx or any other web server

I don't think so. It just seems like Litespeed might be donating some money to Cyberpanel, but that's it

• @skorupion said:

@elliotc said: Cyberpanel is developed by Litespeed corp itself. I do not think they will add nginx or any other web server

I don't think so. It just seems like Litespeed might be donating some money to Cyberpanel, but that's it

The guy Usman Nasir - github owner of the project is employee of Litespeed. Python Developer at LiteSpeed Technologies. Check LinkedIn.

• edited March 2021

@seriesn said:
    Open source but not free and definitely quality, ApisCp @nem

Great point! I wish I had included that in the list as, to my knowledge, ApisCP is the only paid control panel that currently offers a Lifetime License. Others used to.

Has ApisCP released their code?
    Is ApisCP anything like the look and feel of cPanel?

• @Offshore_Solutions said:

@seriesn said:
    Open source but not free and definitely quality, ApisCp @nem

Great point! I wish I had included that in the list as, to my knowledge, ApisCP is the only paid control panel that currently offers a Lifetime License. Others used to.

Has ApisCP released their code?

Their codebase is opensource. And no, it is not like Cpanel. Tbh, no good should be or look like another one. That’s just lazy work to make quick bucks.

The rest @nem can talk about it.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@Offshore_Solutions said:

You're just like a guy, who is demanding that new girl would be the same as your ex. If you like cPanel, stick with it, if you can't afford it - that's another question. The whole beauty of people and things in the world is that they are different, every has their own advantages; one just need some willingness and time to discover them.

• @vero said: who is demanding that new girl would be the same as your ex

Who does that? Yuck

@elliotc said: The guy Usman Nasir - github owner of the project is employee of Litespeed. Python Developer at LiteSpeed Technologies. Check LinkedIn.

Ouuu, then he knows ins and outs of litespeed. So he is able to utilize every aspect of litespeed

@seriesn said: Who does that? Yuck

You see, sometimes its not you that broke up with someone, but that someone breaks up with you... Not every breakup is toxic waste.

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@Offshore_Solutions said: Has ApisCP released their code?

Yup.

It's hard to lead if you follow.

ApisCP was built specifically to address needs I found while running my hosting business for close to 19 years. I don't see the value in copying cPanel nor do I believe in blackbox system administration. I do see value in leveraging newer technology and integrating critical components (web apps, WAF, defect monitoring, resource enforcement, agnostic DNS) to build a better platform even if the UI is lacking currently. I don't know exactly when that will become a priority as engineering is far more important at this stage in adoption.

Best way to see if it's a good fit for you is to spin up a free trial with the stack customization tool. Docs will give a deep dive. Architecture overview is a good starting point.

• edited March 2021

@vero said:

if you can't afford it - that's another question.

This

I also covet my neighbor's wife but couldn't afford her either :wink:

• Cyberpanel with openlitespeed will be great if a single person want to manage different domains/user accounts considering the way it handles htaccess.

if you want to manage multi user hosting environment where literally more than one users will be using the system(aka shared hosting), you have to use Pro version of Cyberpanel.

• @Offshore_Solutions said:

@kidrock said: I am also currently trying aapanel and found it's easy to use...

@kidrock, does AAPanel look and feel anything like cPanel? How important is nginx for you and could you settle for Lightspeed?

It's like a child of cpanel. Simple gui and easy to use for personal purpose. After going through all recommended panels and checking their demos, I found aapanel to be user-friendly since I had been using cpanel. As I do not have much knowledge of linux commands, for me gui and one click installs matter similar to cpanel. I have shortlisted aapanel, centos web panel and cyberpanel.

I am just a personal user and came from shared hosting. Currently, trying vps server to learn and aapanel was my first panel on Ubuntu. My first try is nginx, next I will go with Litespeed too. For Litespeed, I will try both aapanel and cyberpanel.

• Well, there is a cheaper Plesk maybe

• eriseris Member

For VestaCP there have been multiple vulnerabilities reported in the last few weeks.

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2021-28379
    And in the next few days multiple will follow...

VestaCP is without the knowledge to manually patch and fix your self not "safe" any more .

If you need an safer replacement please use MyVesta (1 to 1 fork) or HestiaCP with more new features.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2021

CPanel is CPanel. Every panel has it own interface. Some of the free panels are trying to follow the logic behind CPanel interface, some are using their own logic. But the principles are the same in almost every panel out there.

So, for free, you have those options:

• HestiaCP. Very easy to learn, very stable (using Vesta principles but being much much more secure and maintained). Very stable and good backup system, even if it is not incremental. Has anything you want: flexible web servers (apache, nginx or nginx as proxy), multiple php versions that can be chosen for each web site, CSF integration, very flexible server settings, very handy CLI to work with.
    • Cyberpanel. No, it's not nginx. It's litespeed. And in the background, it is the most close to CPanel free web panel. After all, CPanel uses litespeed. You can easily import a single or multiple accounts/users from CPanel and they will actually work! On the other hand, the interface logic is something different that CPanel, DIrectadmin or all other panels, but if you play with it for a bit, it is easy and quick. Plus, you get the benefits of the Openlitespeed server and, for a single site, the pro version (Litespeed) for free.
    • Webuzo. maybe, the closest to CPanel interface you can get. It is not open source, but the lite version is completely free. In the free version, you cannot install by default many critical elements (multiple php versions, multiple web servers, chosen sql versions etc.) but there is a one month trial of the pro that you can use, install the server just as you want it to be and then, use it with all; features. When the trial ends, the license return to the free one, but the installations (e.g. multiple php versions) are staying installed, so, you have the benefits of the paid versions for free.
    • ISPconfig. Excellent panel but needs quite a lot of experience on Linux administration, and the interface is unique - not close to CPanel. But it is very flexible and with tons of options, more than most of the free (and paid) panels. It has a ton of tutorials on a ton of different configurations, too!
    • Webmin/Virtualmin. Same as ISPConfig, but for even more experienced users and also with unique interface.
    • Keyhelp. A german panel with basic interface, stable and quick. Basic functionality, too.

Now, regarding your list, please avoid:

• VestaCP. It is going downhill day by day. More vulnerabilities, lack of communication, abandoned by main developer and the list going on...
    • CWP (Centos or Control Web Panel). The guy that created it, wanted to give a million of options (even teamspeaker and shoutcast installations) but it lacks on stability, flexibility and it is very very heavy. There are a lot of concerns about security, but on the other hand, it is the most close one as of interface for the end user to CPanel. It can also import CPanel accounts.
    • Sentora, GNUPanel, KloxoMR, WebsitePanel... ZPANEL??? Oh, my God! Either abandoned or extremely insecure panels, no active developers, no modern OS, no no no!
    • AAPanel. Some shady practices in the past (search LET for those), no mail, somewhat buggy.
    • Ajenti. Is it a web panel? Is it a server admin panel? Is it both? Is it a little of everything? Is it easy? Is it popular? Is it worth it? No... Once upon a time it had potentials, but missed the road for success...
    • Cloudtron. It is not a web panel but rather a saas solution. And costs.
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2021

And a last comment, as of CPanel interface: Webuzo is very close to CPanel, as of the GUI of the end user.

See this, from a test installation of mine (it is the free version but have in mind that it works for a single user, it has no multi-user options):

And this is CPanel:

Quite close, don't you think?

• Webuzo is amazing. I'm running a free install on a VPS since 2014 and I get detailed update emails for the past 7 years. Never crashed, never hanged, always successfully auto-updated. Caveat: My website has not seen much traffic so don't take my opinion on performance seriously. But stability, sure.

I have no affiliation, just a happy user. Also, never paid a buck to them.

• edited March 2021

@jvnadr said:
    And a last comment, as of CPanel interface: Webuzo is very close to CPanel, as of the GUI of the end user.

See this, from a test installation of mine (it is the free version but have in mind that it works for a single user, it has no multi-user options):

Quite close, don't you think?

Very close! Thank you for so much good info! You take great pride & research in your posts.

Please will you analyze 2 more?
    CentminMod.com - Centmin Mod was originally NOT developed for shared hosting so there is no user isolation/jailed. Why wouldn't a developer put "shared hosting" controls in their panel considering how popular shared hosting is?

&
    ApisCP

Thanks 😊

• I just want to point out that Webmin is not a "lite version of Virtualmin". Webmin is not a web hosting control panel at all. It is a general purpose systems management GUI. If you want to host websites, mail, etc. with Webmin, Virtualmin is the tool you want.

It literally makes no sense to include Webmin in a conversation about web hosting control panels, because that's not what it is (the same people make both tools). Virtualmin is a set of modules that turns Webmin into a web hosting control panel.

Disclosure: I work on Virtualmin (and Webmin). Not trying to sell anything, I just want to make sure people don't install Webmin expecting it to be an easy-to-use hosting control panel, because it isn't. If you host websites, just use the Virtualmin installer.

• HostStageHostStage Member, Host Rep

SolidCP is solid for everything that is windows related.
    It is initially a fork of WebsitePanel which is being discontinued.

A solid alternative to cPanel is DirectAdmin.

• Have never tried this panel. It is a closed source one, it costs a lot (If I would install a paid panel I would go either with DirectAdmin for a hosting company or Webuzo for personal minimum sites server) and in the demo, does not seem to be something extraordinary.

@Offshore_Solutions said: CentminMod.com

Wow, you went from "CPanel alike" to a terminal bunch of scripts! Centminmod is perfect for what it is: creating web hosting environment thru terminal, No graphical interface, no fancy and polished graphics, just a set of command line operations to create and maintain your web server. Though, you need certain Linux experience to use it, not really for the noobies.

@SwellJoe said: It literally makes no sense to include Webmin in a conversation about web hosting control panels, because that's not what it is (the same people make both tools). Virtualmin is a set of modules that turns Webmin into a web hosting control panel.

Absolutely right. Just when usually anybody refers to it, uses the "double" name "Webmin/Virtualmin" because the beast that underlies Virtualmin is actually Webmin, the best server control management system out there.

• @Offshore_Solutions said: developed for shared hosting

If you want something for creating a "shared hosting environment", then, you should go with a well known paid solution that is familiar to the potential clients. CPanel is the best on this area, DirectAdmin is the second one (better IMHO but not so popular among non experienced users) or some other really tested and secured solutions like Plesk and Interworx.
    If you are thinking on selling services, please, think twice... Being a hosting company is not easy, you really need very good knowledge on maintaining Linux and web servers, know perfectly your panel, have money to spend for a really long period (at least 1-2 years before something could start to be profitable) and hire stuff - a one man show is almost never a good route...
    Renting a vps and setting a panel in there, does not make anyone a shared hosting provider but, more close to a potential scam...

• A bit too much of a coincidence? Could @Offshore_Solutions here be @DeluxeHost on WHT, looking for a FOSS panel to turn into a commercial venture?

If so he hasn't been exactly clear about his motives over there either.

Just sayin'

• eriseris Member

@jvnadr said:

Now, regarding your list, please avoid:

• VestaCP. It is going downhill day by day. More vulnerabilities, lack of communication, abandoned by main developer and the list going on...

If you really want to use VestaCP.

https://myvestacp.com is an alternative