Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Source Control Panel Closest to cPanel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open Source Control Panel Closest to cPanel?

edited March 2021 in General

Which open source control panel looks and feels the most like cPanel? My guess is OVI Panel is closest to cPanel but is it open source because I see they charge $5/month but also offer a free version? (See https://www.ovipanel.in/ )

Are PHP control panels less secure and why?
Partial list below:

1/2. Cyber Panel - Popular on LET - https://cyberpanel.net/

1. Ajenti - http://ajenti.org/

2. Kloxo-Mr - PHP5

3. Webmin (lite version of Virtualmin)

4. Sentora - http://Sentora.org

5. CentOS Web Panel

6. Virtualmin

7. ISPConfig - https://www.ispconfig.org/

8. Vesta - https://vestacp.com/

9. BlueOnyx - https://www.blueonyx.it/

10. zPanel - (earlier outdated version of Sentora)

11. Froxlor

12. Ovi Panel (Free Version) https://www.ovipanel.in/

13. AAPanel - Not PHP - https://www.aapanel.com/feature.html

14. Hestia Panel - https://www.hestiacp.com/

15. i-MSCP - https://i-mscp.net/

16. GNU Panel -https://wp.geeklab.com.ar/gl/gnupanel-en/

17. ZesleCP - https://zeslecp.com/

18. Cloudron - https://www.cloudron.io/

19. SolidCP

20. Website Panel - https://www.websitepanel.net/

Comments

• Is this some sort of marketing for Ovipanel as you only gave backlinks to that? Also you joined March 12. Also the panel you are talking about is Sentora fork which uses GPL3 licensing and Ovipanel never published it's code and made it proprietary which breaks GPL3 licensing rule.

Thanked by 2kkrajk webcraft
  • edited March 2021

3) CentOS Web Panel> @Boogeyman said:

Is this some sort of marketing for Ovipanel as you only gave backlinks to that? Also you joined March 12. Also the panel you are talking about is Sentora fork which uses GPL3 licensing and Ovipanel never published it's code and made it proprietary which breaks GPL3 licensing rule.

No, I'm specific about OVI panel because maybe it doesn't belong on this list and asking if that's the case.
    If you download the free version of OVI Panel, you don't have access to the source code? Thus not open source?

I'm slowly editing my post to add more links to other Panels while driving in my car.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Smells.

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • @HostXNow said: Coincidence.

Nope. As cPanel increasing price drastically everyone that are capable to make a panel wants to enter this market. Also this has related market like sysadmin work, etc. And some startups wants to use this opportunity.

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

@Offshore_Solutions said:
    I'm slowly editing my post to add more links to other Panels while driving in my car.

The moment you disclose your identity you will be reported to police.

Of course not, but this is unresponsible.

• @Offshore_Solutions said: while driving in my car.

Eh, that's illegal and be sure to post an update if you met an accident.

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • niceboyniceboy Veteran
    edited March 2021

CentOS Web Panel seems to be the closest in looks. But, there dev/support seems to be pathetic.

Do take a look at HestiaCP which is very actively developed and supported.

• @niceboy said:
    CentOS Web Panel seems to be the closest in looks. But, there dev/support seems to be pathetic.

Is HestiaCP open source and does it have a similar look and feel to cPanel?

• @Offshore_Solutions said:

Is HestiaCP open source and does it have a similar look and feel to cPanel?

1. Yes. It is open source.
    2. No. It does not look like CPanel(Looks like VestaCP that you mentioned in your list).
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

@Boogeyman said: Is this some sort of marketing for Ovipanel as you only gave backlinks to that? Also you joined March 12. Also the panel you are talking about is Sentora fork which uses GPL3 licensing and Ovipanel never published it's code and made it proprietary which breaks GPL3 licensing rule.

Sue.

@Offshore_Solutions said: Are PHP control panels less secure and why?

PHP has a lot of exploits that could be used to compromise a panel(especially the older versions), there are panels that are secure that are written in PHP, but they are paid, close source, and have a team of devs constantly patching it. But more and more panels use newer versions of PHP and are more secure, btw there is no such thing as perfectly secure Control PAnel, there always will be an exploit.

I personally use Cyberpanel, there is a review stating it has a lot of exploits that people provide, but if ya actually read the article, you will see that cyberpanel worked with them to patch those exploits up, and there is now Cyberpanel Cloud, which lets you have a paid version of Cyberpanel to have more perks, like support via live chat, WordPress manager, etc... And it's written in Js mostly.
    And because Cyberpanel cloud is paid that means you have a dev that's working on it 24/7, oh and Ctyberpanel that you are able to install on a Dedi or VPS will be forever open source.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • edited March 2021

@Offshore_Solutions said:
    Are PHP control panels less secure and why?

Less secure than what?

Modern PHP in the hands of competent developers has no need to be less secure than any other modern language & framework.

PHP earned a reputation (and earned it well) for being the source of insecure and otherwise unreliable scripts some time ago, for a few reasons including:

1. Easy availability on shared hosts coupled with the simplicity of getting simple examples going lowered the entry bar low enough that there was a lot of simple naive insecure code out there getting copied and pasted by people who did not yet have the experience to know any better. There was terrible code out there written as perl-via-CGI too, but the great-to-crap ratio for PHP was massively skewed towards the crap.
    2. Not actually the fault of PHP, but it caught the blame anyway: many people installing PHP apps like image galleries & forums but failing to keep them uptodate so even though secured versions existed the old broken versions were still out there in great numbers. Again, not a PHP specific problem, but one that was larger in that realm due to point 1.
    3. In the name of ease of use (part of what lowered the entry bar) PHP as far as 5.x (as far as I ever used it or supported it in hosting environments myself) has some massively insecure default settings. I'm told this improved greatly from 6.x onwards.
    4. Early versions came from a ramshackle glueing together of someone's personal project scripts and developed very organically (like a fungus or a cancer) so the standard library was a mess that made it easy to accidentally create incorrect code with security issues and other nasty edge cases. Big steps were being made to fix this around the 4.x/5.x days, so I assume things are much better now.
    5. The way people were taught to use it in those early days (using those insecure defaults, turning on the insecure options when they were no longer default, little thought to good error handling & sensitive data storage leading to credential leaks, etc) and sometimes still around the time I stopped paying attention, lead to poorly thought-out, flaky, poorly supported, spaghetti code, exacerbating the other problems.
    6. Breaking changes between major versions of PHP caused many projects to be abandoned, unavoidable with the design goal of fixing the more serious problems of earlier versions, but they are still out there with unfixed security issues.

It probably isn't fair to base an opinion of PHP on how things were a decade and a half ago or before, though there is still a lot of bad code out there (some of it new) but you can say that of other systems too.

• Jarland or cociu?

edited March 2021

@Boogeyman said: Jarland or cociu?

None and both.

• @skorupion said: it's written in Js, and Typescript mostly.

Nah the great Python from amazon.

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    insecure default settings. I'm told this improved greatly from 6.x onwards.

There was no PHP 6.

Thanked by 1webcraft
    edited March 2021

@Boogeyman said: Nah the great Python from amazon.

Not them using more CSS than python

And no Typescript must have confused myself with some other project on Github

• @vero said:
    There was no PHP 6.

Well, there was but it was never released as a stable product. Enough of it was rolled back and redone that they chose to skip a version number, as the number of books & articles referencing PHP6 but meaning the abandoned design would have caused a lot of confusion.

• As I worked in CyberPanel project for sometime I clearly understand how things work in that project. Inputs are passed via JS to an endpoint later to be processed by Python. The backend is completely Python and for frontend HTML, CSS, JS. And installers are written in shell-scripting.

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: It probably isn't fair to base an opinion of PHP on how things were a decade and a half ago or before, though there is still a lot of bad code out there (some of it new) but you can say that of other systems too.

Also PHP is used in quickly made scripts, which don't have security in mind whatsoever, thus people weren't even making them secure, and to this day it's done, and makes a lot of quickly assembled scripts from garbage that give PHP more of that insecure smell.

• @skorupion said:
    Not them using more CSS than python

Would be interesting to see an attempt to write panel in pure CSS...

edited March 2021

@Boogeyman said: As I worked in CyberPanel project for sometime I clearly understand how things work in that project. Inputs are passed via JS to an endpoint later to be processed by Python. The backend is completely Python and for frontend HTML, CSS, JS. And installers are written in shell-scripting.

So python does most of the work, and javascript is just more commonly used, so we technically are both right.

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said: Would be interesting to see an attempt to write panel in pure CSS...

Missing !important

@skorupion said: so we technically are both right.

Yeah :#

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    Well, there was but it was never released as a stable product.

Agree, that's far more correct statement than mine.

• edited March 2021

@Boogeyman said:
    As I worked in CyberPanel project for sometime I clearly understand how things work in that project. Inputs are passed via JS to an endpoint later to be processed by Python. The backend is completely Python and for frontend HTML, CSS, JS. And installers are written in shell-scripting.

Is Cyber Panel the only open source control panel you're aware of not written in PHP?

In your opinion is Cyber Panel more secure because of the presumably less hacks for Python and more hackers proficient in PHP?
    (Like how hackers focus more on PCs instead of Apples due to the sheer numbers of PCs).

Does it look and feel much like CPanel?

edited March 2021

@Offshore_Solutions said: Is Cyber Panel the only open source control panel you're aware of not written in PHP?

No. There is also aapanel (which i have used), and many more...

@Offshore_Solutions said: In your opinion is Cyber Panel more secure because of the presumably less hacks for Python and more hackers proficient in PHP?
    (Like how hackers focus more on PCs instead of Apples due to the sheer numbers of PCs).

Not really, as I said PHP has a stigma of being insecure because of abandoned projects and people who need quick scripts made in 2 mins that don't have security in mind at all. And not only that but js and node.js and any other framework based on js is WAY faster than PHP

@Offshore_Solutions said: Does it look and feel much like CPanel?

It pretty much has the same functions, I have used a lot of panels (incl. cPanel, DA, etc...)
    And it's mostly the layout that changes but it's very easy to get used to.
    And don't forget that you will never receive the same amount of security and updates for nothing compared to 10 bucks p/m

Btw i have used Cyberpanel for a while and had a lot of help from people here on LET, and their discord, and now I know many ins and outs of it and am happy to help set it up. But I probably will never achieve the same level of knowingness as @Boogeyman because he has literally helped make cyberpanel what it is.

• @skorupion said:
    No. There is also aapanel (which i have used), and many more...

I am also currently trying aapanel and found it's easy to use due to simple gui and 1 click installs.
    As you are using cyberpanel too, can nginx be installed on it? And how is cyberpanel compared to aapanel for ease of use?

• @Offshore_Solutions said: Is Cyber Panel the only open source control panel you're aware of not written in PHP?

There are other panels in the market that is not written with PHP. Look for any comparison site, you will find out.

@Offshore_Solutions said: presumably less hacks for Python and more hackers proficient in PHP?

Bad practices can always lead to vulnerability whatever language it is.

@Offshore_Solutions said: Does it look and feel much like CPanel?

It doesn't look like cPanel but it is somewhat like cPanel with it's features. And in upcoming releases it will have more good features.

@kidrock said: cyberpanel too, can nginx be installed on it?

No.

• edited March 2021

@Boogeyman said:

@kidrock said: cyberpanel too, can nginx be installed on it?

No.

Please, from the best of your knowledge, can you compare the pros & cons of AAPanel vs. Cyber Panel?

Do you feel Cyber Panel is more secure?

Does AApanel also use Python and Javascript similarly?

How much/month is Cyberpanel Cloud & is it more secure than the non-cloud version?