Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears.

Comments

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

If anyone is affected and needs temporary backup storage or anything else, please contact us. We are willing to offer some of our services free of charge for some period.

• Still moving failover IPs is stuck :(

• miumiu Member
    edited March 2021

bad dream this, i already restore affected services from backups to elsewhere.. I cant understand how can whole datacenter be destroyed by fire. Epic failure..

• fazarfazar Member

oh wow, this should be a nightmare for tenants at SBG. 😔

• BigBBigB Member
    edited March 2021

Rip my vps

• Hope staff made it out safely. It seems like SBG2 is fully gone and if you didn't have backups, you're toast.

http://www.taobackup.com/

• FalzoFalzo Member

wonder what's there to actually burn in these tin cans... with what did they isolate?

if you look at this vid don't get your hopes to have anything from "SBG2" recovered at all:

• KonbuKonbu Member

I hope everybody is safe.
    Looking at the pictures, their data center was more of a truck container than a building.Σ(゚д゚;)

• That’s why my favourite CSGO server was down sadpikachu.jpg

Thanked by 2SirFoxy fendix
  • Chex2Chex2 Member

@Konbu said:
    I hope everybody is safe.
    Looking at the pictures, their data center was more of a truck container than a building.Σ(゚д゚;)

Yeah it's basically shipping containers. I recall they were marketing how cheap it was to build because of this. Very worrying the fire suppression either failed or was not sufficient.

• @Chex2 said: Very worrying the fire suppression either failed or was not sufficient.

Saw somewhere that halogen suppression systems aren't allowed or something?

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@Falzo said:
    wonder what's there to actually burn in these tin cans... with what did they isolate?

if you look at this vid don't get your hopes to have anything from "SBG2" recovered at all:

Yeah no wonder why they recommended everyone to activate their business recovery plan

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Chex2Chex2 Member

@sdglhm said:

@Chex2 said: Very worrying the fire suppression either failed or was not sufficient.

Saw somewhere that halogen suppression systems aren't allowed or something?

Yeah, concerns about the ozone layer I think.

• Argonite / IG55 is completely legal in EU and largely deployed in professional datacenters.
    I am looking for information about fire suppression system at OVH but cannot find any.

• I have a server in BHS1 and a backup on BHS2. Could I be affected like this in the future or are those DCs very far away from each other?

• rick2610rick2610 Member
    edited March 2021

update twitter:

Update 7:20am
    Fire is over. Firefighters continue to cool the buildings with the water.
    We don’t have the access to the site. That is why SBG1, SBG3, SBG4 won’t be restarted today.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@netswitch said:
    Argonite / IG55 is completely legal in EU and largely deployed in professional datacenters.
    I am looking for information about fire suppression system at OVH but cannot find any.

Whatever it is, one thing is safe to say, it wasn't very effective :D

• Chex2Chex2 Member

@gapper said:
    I have a server in BHS1 and a backup on BHS2. Could I be affected like this in the future or are those DCs very far away from each other?

I think even if they're 10 miles apart you should have backups with different providers in different locations.

• My public cloud instances in SBG are also removed from my control panel.

• Let's pray and hope everybody there is safe!!

• @Chex2 said: Yeah, concerns about the ozone layer I think.

Oh. Understandable. We don't have such restrictions yet here. Thank you for the information.

@CConner said: Whatever it is, one thing is safe to say, it wasn't very effective

Ouch. :smiley:

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Literally last week bought a server from SYS at SBG, set it up, migrated a VM to Proxmox there.
    Did not figure out how to do proper external backups from Proxmox yet.
    Lesson learned.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Member, Patron Provider

It is going to be interesting to read the lessons learned in a few months once the root cause analysis is complete.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited March 2021

Does someone manage to move fail over IPs pointed to SBG ?

• LeviLevi Member

Holy F... This seems first time in datacenters history that actual fire destroy it. I never heard of such incidents in the past.

Poor customers, now they will have to fight OVH in court :(

Thanked by 1miu
  • anyone know where the Kimsufi servers are located, I have a rest API hosted in a Kimsufi dedicated server and connections were intermittent last night, thought it was my internet connection, now thinking it could be related

• @genleeshin said:
    anyone know where the Kimsufi servers are located, I have a rest API hosted in a Kimsufi dedicated server and connections were intermittent last night, thought it was my internet connection, now thinking it could be related

Check your invoice - it might have the exact DC

Thanked by 1genleeshin