Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosterlabs terminates server without warning if due date missed - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosterlabs terminates server without warning if due date missed

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I am actually more shocked that OP came to senses.

People like OT tend to enter the state of complete denial and attack their hosts for no apparent reason other than PMS.

I think the end must be nigh.

• IamJAXIamJAX Member
    edited March 2021

@DataGizmos said:
    It should be - "After 4 invoices in 17 days with no response - server terminated"

It was just 5 days. In Previous invoice it was paid for till 27th Feb. On 4th March, when I got the invoice overdue mail and I paid within hours and they collected payment for service until 26th March. If the collect payment, they should provide service instead of offering refund

"Just 5 days".

Brave words. That's a very dangerous mentality.

• DataGizmosDataGizmos Member
    edited March 2021

@iamjax - seriously - it was the 4 INVOICES IN 17 days prior to your due date that they sent you- that YOU IGNORED. Only when you got an overdue one after the fact were you motivated to go pay.

• @deank said:
    I am actually more shocked that OP came to senses.

People like OT tend to enter the state of complete denial and attack their hosts for no apparent reason other than PMS.

I think the end must be nigh.

I believe proper communication and willing to listen can solve problems :)

Thanked by 1that_guy

Nah, I was wrong. You haven't come to senses.

edited March 2021

This discussion is going nowhere

• IamJAXIamJAX Member
    edited March 2021

@DataGizmos said:
    @iamjax - seriously - it was the 4 INVOICES IN 17 days prior to your due date that they sent you- that YOU IGNORED. Only when you got an overdue one after the fact were you motivated to go pay.

As an aside - you critiqued WABLE for not responding in 2 days to you. How do you explain YOU not responding to a vendor after 17 days and 4 attempts to request payment, followed by a 5th one that was marked as overdue before you deemed it worthy of a response and payment. So it looks like 22 days from first vendor attempt for payment before customer is motivated to pay. Yet customer gets agitated when another vendor takes 2 days to respond.

Just checked my mails....the 4 attempts are invoice generated 2 weeks before due date, reminder on 20th, 28th and 4th. I just went unpaid by 5 days.

• IamJAXIamJAX Member
    edited March 2021

Anyway leave it... My expectation was wrong.

edited March 2021

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

Imagine if everyone lived in a world where they could be 5 days late on stuff.
    "Boss why did I lose my job, I showed up for work, 5 days late but I still showed up"

Got a court case? Eh, you don't need to be there at the scheduled time, the Judge will understand if you show up 5 days later, no worries.

Really, is this what we have come to? Coming to a forum to make an ass out of yourself?
    Granted this is LET and expected but still.

Oh and in case this was not mentioned, BACKUPS, BACKUPS, BACKUPS........ Or did you pay that bill late too?

Regardless stop trying to rationalize your mistake, you messed up and paid late, own up to it.

• I messed up and paid late :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@IamJAX, renewal of your LET membership is past due by 4 days and is in danger of being cancelled. Please remit payment immediately so we can restore your service.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2021

@IamJAX said: I just went unpaid by 5 days.

try the same with your credit card and make a fuss why they do charge interest after! 3 days overdue is more than enough to provider think that you don't care anymore with their services, so if you cared about your project / data, you should have paid 2 weeks before due date or before travelling or what ever excuse you do have!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Equally you should limit that travelling, as you know, the global pandemic and all that.

• FalzoFalzo Member

become a client with german providers instead. you'll not lose your services that easily if you don't cancel. complaints about collection agencies incoming though.

• @IamJAX said:
    I agree it was my fault to have missed due date. But termination without warning is not something I expect from a good hosting provider and that to within 5 days of due date.

But it wasn't "within", it was PAST.

You were paying them for a service for a specific time. Once the 27th came without payment, they have no obligation to hold your data. In fact, they need to free up those resources to try and collect money for those resources.

You got plenty of notification of termination and it's crazy you think otherwise. What the fuck do you think happens in nearly any service after payment period is over? This isn't new.

Now, if you were charged a reconnect fee or something, then there might be some expectation of data restoration. Or if their terms of service led you to believe that.

• @DataGizmos said:
    So, you need an extra special invoice- all in red letters spelling out that you have a bill due?

NO! It needs to say, "dude, we're deleting/terminating all your shit because you ignored all previous invoices".

The "bill due" gets completed ignored, haven't you been reading?

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 2021

@Falzo said:
    become a client with german providers instead. you'll not lose your services that easily if you don't cancel. complaints about collection agencies incoming though.

Well, no shit. If you don't cancel, everyone would expect services to continue. (And OP did expect it to continue because he didn't cancel)

Did you actually mean "pay" or were you not paying attention? (Did you see what I did there?)

• FalzoFalzo Member

@TimboJones said: If you don't cancel, everyone would expect services to continue.

maybe I worded it badly but this was intended to point out, that usually people expect service to end even if they do not cancel but just because stop paying.
    this time it's kind of opposite and OP complaints because he did not pay but expected the service to not end that easily...

Thanked by 2raindog308 that_guy
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

Usually how many days is the server or VPS suspended before it gets terminated?

• IamJAXIamJAX Member
    edited March 2021

@NetDynamics24 said:

All reliable ones I have checked gives atleast 1 week past due date. Mainly say that in their FAQ or terms which I checked today.

Digital ocean suspends after 3 week and this is the longest I have seen. Linode, Vultr etc gives 2 weeks after due date. Cloudways gives more than a week.

As for other low end ones here, it will be lot less as I learned from this thread.

• I'm actually impressed by how many notices OP received before the due date. I'm quite happy with all the various providers I have used/am using, and I pay on time, but I don't think I've gotten so many notices, and so far ahead of the payment date. Pretty impressive of Hosterlabs.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

I kinda catch the point of the OP asauming the providers must give some time for clients after the due date and not terminate directly after it.

Though this does not justify anything and you are more wrong that the provider. You dont pay the service for 1 month + some days / weeks after due date but rather for just a month.

I find you more guilty

• IamJAXIamJAX Member
    edited March 2021

@armandorg said:
    I kinda catch the point of the OP asauming the providers must give some time for clients after the due date and not terminate directly after it.

Though this does not justify anything and you are more wrong that the provider. You dont pay the service for 1 month + some days / weeks after due date but rather for just a month.

I find you more guilty

I just had pending payment for 5 days. All services were paid in advance. Missed invoice was for service from 27th Feb to March 26th.Everything was completely paid for until 27th Feb.

Now that you mentioned it, it looks like Digital Ocean doesn't take payment in advance. So they are giving 1 month + 3 weeks time for paying.

• @IamJAX said:

@NetDynamics24 said:

All reliable ones I have checked gives atleast 1 week past due date. Mainly say that in their FAQ or terms which I checked today.

Digital ocean suspends after 3 week and this is the longest I have seen. Linode, Vultr etc gives 2 weeks after due date. Cloudways gives more than a week.

As for other low end ones here, it will be lot less as I learned from this thread.

I don’t think the word “reliable” is the right choice.

You’re trying to say a reliable host allows you a longer leeway when you are overdue but this isn’t the case.

Others can chime in if I’m wrong but host you named (Linode/Vultr) charge a lot more than the host here. Their target customers are not the same, their margins are much higher, and they have a larger team which is all due to what they charge. For example the 512MB Plan by Vultr is $30 a year whereas Hosterlabs is $12. $18 difference over a 100 customers is a lot.

Hosterlabs is just breaking even at that price and your overdue bill will mean he’s losing money.

Good to hear you found another host though as your mentality doesn’t even sit well for the industry I work in too

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @IamJAX said:

@armandorg said:

I find you more guilty

I just had pending payment for 5 days. All services were paid in advance. Missed invoice was for service from 27th Feb to March 26th.Everything was completely paid for until 27th Feb.

That's NOT what "pending payment" means.
    No invoices were "missed", you ignored them all. You missed "payment due date".
    We all know services were paid to Feb 27, it's for service after that day that matters.

Now that you mentioned it, it looks like Digital Ocean doesn't take payment in advance. So they are giving 1 month + 3 weeks time for paying.

So, have you switched to Digital Ocean, yet?

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 2021

@Falzo said:

@TimboJones said: If you don't cancel, everyone would expect services to continue.

maybe I worded it badly

Agreed :D

but this was intended to point out, that usually people expect service to end even if they do not cancel but just because stop paying.

Agree to disagree. It depends on the service that I wouldn't make a blanket statement. Hydro/electricity and other utilities would be different from TV or phone subscription versus a movie rental or book from library, etc. For a low cost VPS, I for sure wouldn't expect my service to lay around for 5 days unless I was told so.

It is suspicious no invoice was posted to indicate what warnings about termination may exist. If any of them said, "termination after 7 days", he'd have a point.

this time it's kind of opposite and OP complaints because he did not pay but expected the service to not end that easily...

The whole issue is how long after he should lose his service and data after nonpayment. So with a German provider, your point was they'll hold his data indefinitely weeks/months and just keep increasing monthly costs and sending invoices?

• FalzoFalzo Member

nanana nanana netcuuuup... 😂

seriously, don't overthink my comment too much. I just tried to be sarcastic about the people complaining when their contracts were not terminated just because they stopped paying (i.e. with netcup). maybe I failed - I can live with that ;-)

• HostStageHostStage Member, Host Rep

On a provider standing point, grace period / overdue isn't an easy balance to reach. It is involves a certain cost to retain the data for the client and while you intended to renew many users would use the non renewal as a cancellation request. And no matter how long you keep the data, there will be always users who weren't expecting the termination and even though there was a suspension of service prior to the termination.

Notification fatigue is likely to be another factor in your case. As the reminders we all keep receiving loose trust and aren't read through, accident like this occurs a lot. That is why from a provider standing point while "non client-experience friendly", the content of invoice payment reminder notification are rather trying to shock you and overstate the suspension / data loss / termination.

Of course, life may get in the way and loosing everything because you were hospitalised and couldn't attend a renewal isn't pleasant at all. It is one of the reason you'll read, rely on yourself for the backups and we do recommend so to our users even though we go big on backup & backup status monitoring. Yet, we do stress it is so important to keep a backup.

Finally, a subscription is generally the go to way as it is set and forget.