Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 19
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @nfn said:

@Chocoweb said:
    @nfn I'm the developer of bohanyang/debi script.

Are you using Oracle's Ubuntu template?

Yes, was the Oracle's Ubuntu Normal template, not minimal

I'm not sure if it applies to this or some other conversion script but I remember reading somewhere that you would need to use Ubuntu 16 as the script does not work properly with any of the higher versions provided by Oracle.

Thanked by 1nfn
  • @Dwayne said:
    I'm not sure if it applies to this or some other conversion script but I remember reading somewhere that you would need to use Ubuntu 16 as the script does not work properly with any of the higher versions provided by Oracle.

The script boot the same Debian installer as in the ISO with GRUB 2. It's not a "conversion" script. It should run on the major distros with GRUB 2: Debian 8+, Ubuntu 14+, CentOS 7+, of course including Ubuntu 18 and 20

Thanked by 1nfn
  • nfnnfn Veteran
    edited February 2021

I just finished and created a new Centos 7 instance and converted an Ubuntu 20 instance to Debian 10 using @Chocoweb's instructions.

Thanks 👍

Thanked by 1Chocoweb
  • @Chocoweb said:

@Dwayne said:

The script boot the same Debian installer as in the ISO with GRUB 2. It's not a "conversion" script. It should run on the major distros with GRUB 2: Debian 8+, Ubuntu 14+, CentOS 7+, of course including Ubuntu 18 and 20

Then it seems my comment applies to the other script I had in mind.

• Hello.
    Two days ago my free VPS turned off. I didn't do anything with it, it just stopped working.
    When trying to run, it gives an error
    "Unable to start instance: Instance ocid1.instance.oc1.eu-amsterdam-1.anqw2ljrszt2x5yca77vbclzmsb63pgfwzelyebyl4obwbj6oiqtkvbfgjxx is disabled and will not accept any action requests. Please contact customer support to reenable."
    What else noticed that I can't create new instances. Writes "No shapes are available.
    Open a support request "
    I am trying to create a ticket to technical support, but they tell me that the service has not been purchased from me, so I cannot create a ticket.
    Has anyone had the same problem?

• @cnyx said:
    Hello.
    Two days ago my free VPS turned off. I didn't do anything with it, it just stopped working.
    "Unable to start instance: Instance ocid1.instance.oc1.eu-amsterdam-1.anqw2ljrszt2x5yca77vbclzmsb63pgfwzelyebyl4obwbj6oiqtkvbfgjxx is disabled and will not accept any action requests. Please contact customer support to reenable."
    What else noticed that I can't create new instances. Writes "No shapes are available.
    Open a support request "
    I am trying to create a ticket to technical support, but they tell me that the service has not been purchased from me, so I cannot create a ticket.

That Oracle team are dummies? Yeah.

I would write this off and restore backups elsewhere.

• @TimboJones said:

@cnyx said:
    Hello.
    Open a support request "

That Oracle team are dummies? Yeah.

I would write this off and restore backups elsewhere.

Haha, what backups? ;)

• My instance alive for 200days (at least) without any downtime. I am start thinking what can I do with it.

• @elliotc said:
    My instance alive for 200days (at least) without any downtime. I am start thinking what can I do with it.

I run a couple of Tor bridges. They work pretty well for that and oracle IPs won't look out of place.

Thanked by 1k4zz
  • Can we close this treat before Oracle Free becomes Not Free due to much information/usage/abuse ?

• @elliotc said:
    My instance alive for 200days (at least) without any downtime. I am start thinking what can I do with it.

Update it and reboot it.

• kalipuskalipus Member
    edited March 2021

use as nameserver, i got my third now in Osaka <3

• What do cloud servers do Google and Microsoft offer for free?

I know Amazon also has something similar but I don't know what it does

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

What do cloud servers do Google and Microsoft offer for free?

I know Amazon also has something similar but I don't know what it does

As far as I know none of those offer them with unmetered or high bandwidth as here, so you might get a VPS for free, but then it's either 1 GB bandwidth included, or none at all (and it's all paid).

Thanked by 1rchurch

They enabled IPv6! Some people got it working already. The setup is complex, have to enable and add it in like 5 different places. Search for "IPv6" in the top search bar, check out the docs (which still say it is only or the US Government).

However I'm not having a success adding it to mine so far.

Adding IPv6 to existing Subnet fails:

Created a new Subnet, but there's no way to switch a VNIC from one Subnet to another. And cannot create additional VNIC, because the limit on their amount is reached. And cannot delete the existing VNIC (no such function), I suppose cuz it's the only one for the instance.

Post your experiences, do you get the above error too?

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said: Post your experiences

Working great. :)

I went through the whole IPv6 documentation, step by step. It took some time, but in the end it worked perfectly fine.
    Within my Debian OS I can statically configure the IPv6 address with /64 mask in /etc/network/interface and simply use accept_ra to retrieve the gateway.

Maybe Tokyo network isn't IPv6 ready yet? My free tier instance is in Frankfurt.

HOST: debian                      Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
      1.|-- 2603:c000:200::xxxx:xxxx   0.0%    10    0.2   0.2   0.2   0.2   0.0
      2.|-- 2001:668:0:3:ffff:1:0:e1a  0.0%    10    0.8   0.8   0.6   1.1   0.1
      3.|-- ae19.cr2-fra6.ip6.gtt.net  0.0%    10    1.4   2.7   0.7  17.1   5.1
      4.|-- 2001:668:0:3:ffff:1:0:b06  0.0%    10    1.4   5.3   1.2  19.4   7.3
      5.|-- one.one.one.one            0.0%    10    1.0   0.8   0.7   1.0   0.1

Thanked by 2vimalware tux
    edited April 2021

@dfroe said: I went through the whole IPv6 documentation, step by step.

Well, the steps are to create everything anew:

Task 1: Create the IPv6-enabled VCN
    Task 2: Create a regional IPv6-enabled public subnet
    Task 3: Create the internet gateway

If you went step by step and created all that, how do you switch existing instances to the new IPv6-enabled subnet? My issue is I can't add IPv6 to the existing subnet, and there's no way to switch an existing VNIC to a different subnet.

Meanwhile, I deleted one instance (keeping the boot volume), and recreated the instance itself, selecting the new subnet on creation. This worked fine, and IPv6 works now for that one.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said: Well, the steps are to create everything anew:

Indeed you are right. I went through all the steps and whenever and object already existed I first tried to edit the existing one instead of creating a new one.

When I reached the step you posted in your screenshot, I was actually able to save the changes for assigning an IPv6 CIDR block. I chose something != 0 for my subnet though this shouldn't matter.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited April 2021

Congratulations, you have been delisted from:
    No IPv6 hall of shame

• GitHub
    • Docker Hub
    • Google Cloud
    • Oracle Cloud
    • Outlook
    • SparkPost
    • ColonCrossing - VirMach, RackNerd
    • XetHost
    • SoftShellWeb (San Jose only)
    • HostSolutions (unless you pay €69 sister setup fee)
    • IOFlood
    • KhanWebHost
    • Spearware Networks
    • Wishosting
    • Reprise Hosting
    • Limitless Hosting
    • HostWebis
    • Nexus Bytes (shared hosting only)
    • Oplink
    • Leapswitch Networks (except Mumbai)

Include IPv6, by default, to get delisted.

• @yoursunny said: No IPv6 hall of shame

Have you thought about automating this process? Use the public routing tables and see which ASNs don't have IPv6.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @stevewatson301 said: Use the public routing tables and see which ASNs don't have IPv6.

Most providers here dont even use their own ASN or IPs.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited April 2021

yabs.sh result, VPS working from yesterday, CentOS 7

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2020-12-29

https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Fri Apr 23 12:00:21 GMT 2021

Basic System Information:

Processor : AMD EPYC 7551 32-Core Processor
    CPU cores : 2 @ 1996.250 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM : 985.7 MiB
    Swap : 8.0 GiB
    Disk : 38.5 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 6.01 MB/s (1.5k) 26.33 MB/s (411)
    Write 6.00 MB/s (1.5k) 26.81 MB/s (418)
    Total 12.01 MB/s (3.0k) 53.14 MB/s (829)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 24.27 MB/s (47) 24.05 MB/s (23)
    Write 25.78 MB/s (50) 26.55 MB/s (25)
    Total 50.06 MB/s (97) 50.61 MB/s (48)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):

Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 49.0 Mbits/sec | 49.6 Mbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 50.9 Mbits/sec | 49.2 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream | The Netherlands (10G) | 50.1 Mbits/sec | 49.7 Mbits/sec
    Biznet | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G) | 45.7 Mbits/sec | 28.1 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 48.1 Mbits/sec | 48.0 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 46.5 Mbits/sec | 47.4 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 46.5 Mbits/sec | 47.2 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom | Sao Paulo, BR (2G) | busy | busy

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:

Test | Value
    |
    Single Core | 334
    Multi Core | 329
    Full Test | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7556345

• pwnedpwned Member

@rm_ said:

Adding IPv6 to existing Subnet fails:

Created a new Subnet, but there's no way to switch a VNIC from one Subnet to another. And cannot create additional VNIC, because the limit on their amount is reached. And cannot delete the existing VNIC (no such function), I suppose cuz it's the only one for the instance.

Post your experiences, do you get the above error too?

Yep! But I found a workaround. Use the cloud shell and do it through the command line. Something like "oci network subnet update --subnet-id ocid1.subnet.oc1.phx.blahblahblah --ipv6-cidr-block 2603:c020:blah:blah:blah::/64" should do it. (I also had trouble creating boot volumes from a boot volume backup with the GUI...kept telling me I was over the free tier limit, even though I had 0 boot volumes. Anyway, the cloud shell worked there too.)

Thanked by 3NanoG6 yoursunny rm_
  • alvinalvin Member

Oracle released a new free tier for option, and the volumes storage is upgraded to 200g for free...Amazing!

• tetechtetech Member

@alvin said:
    Oracle released a new free tier for option, and the volumes storage is upgraded to 200g for free...Amazing!

They doubled the amount of storage but it does not seem like much else changed - still has to be divided between two volumes. They already gave 4 cores but I don't understand the "up to 4 VMs" bit given that there are only two volumes for free.

• @tetech said:

@alvin said:

They doubled the amount of storage but it does not seem like much else changed - still has to be divided between two volumes. They already gave 4 cores but I don't understand the "up to 4 VMs" bit given that there are only two volumes for free.

You can specify the capacity of the boot volume when creating an instance

Thanked by 1tux
  • The performance of the arm instance is very strong, roughly equivalent to the 4 large cores of A12Z or 865

• @alvin said:

Can upgrade existing volume?

• HakimHakim Member

@tetech said: only two volumes for free

Boot volume doesn't count as "Block Volumes Storage"

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2021

IPv4 limit still remains at 2.
    You can create 4 instances but only with 2 IPv4.

But... you can claim one reserved IPv4 you can re-assign to any VM.
    So In total 3 IPv4, its a bit tricky but works fine.

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/Network/Tasks/managingpublicIPs.htm#assign-reserved

Thanked by 1farsighter