Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner or soyoustart?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner or soyoustart?

Hey guys, quick question - two servers with same/similar hardware and price. Would you choose soyoustart or hetzner and why?

Thanks <3

Comments

• Hetzner, Better support and hardware also you get 1GB network speed.

• SYS if you do high-risk hosting (ddos sensitive).

Thanked by 2dodheimsgard miu
  • tjntjn Member
    edited March 2021

@wii747 said:
    Hetzner, Better support and hardware also you get 1GB network speed.

+1 for Hetzner

@marvel said:
    SYS if you do high-risk hosting (ddos sensitive).

Hetzner have DDoS protection too, don't they?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I always choose German steel over French steel.

Thus, Hetzner.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • Any time choose Hetzner. good support and service, straightforward billing.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • Hetzner all the way
    Never look back

Thanked by 2dodheimsgard Ympker
  • @marvel said:

Yes for sure

https://www.hetzner.com/unternehmen/ddos-schutz?country=ru

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • @tjn said:

@wii747 said:
    Hetzner, Better support and hardware also you get 1GB network speed.

+1 for Hetzner

@marvel said:

On paper, yeah...

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • Hetzner DDOS filters allow more in and will cause you issues if you attacked ....

Hetzner hardware is better you can get a new server for literally nothing AX 41 is crazy good for the money

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

OVH if you want to host user-generated content or need DDoS protection. Hetzner for anything else.

• systemfreakssystemfreaks Member, Patron Provider

Hetzner claimed when I asked that you can completely block udp traffic on the server using their firewall, keeping that in mind you can disable udp and use cloudflare for your dns or an external dns server , the dos can be stopped with software and hetzner should sustain it .
    I haven't use hetzner since 2008 but back then I was very happy with their support .

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • pikepike Veteran

Hetzner because they never had a datacenter burn down.

Thanked by 2dodheimsgard sucre13
  • OVH if you like your servers overheating at points.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • TejyTejy Member

Hetzner.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • Hetzner is miles better in value and speed. This is not a fair comparison

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@xetsys said:
    Hetzner is miles better in value and speed. This is not a fair comparison

+1 on this.
    I also belive hetzner is far better than OVH.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • Fast support ➜ Hetzner
    Good DDOS protection ➜ OVH

In term of HW quality they both have Almost the some quality .

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • amsaalamsaal Member
    edited March 2021

i asked hetzner how is their ddos filters on gaming like voice TS3 they said its not seamless and works on automatic sensor. so OVH for better DDOS Protection specially for Games.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • Neither one nor the other

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • @ourvds said:
    Neither one nor the other

And?

• @amsaal said:

@ourvds said:

And?

What and? Asked which one to choose, I wrote that I would not choose either of the two

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • that_guythat_guy Member
    edited March 2021

OVH for DDoS-protected (game)servers and seedboxes. Or if you think just not paying your invoices is a means to canceling a service. Or if Hetzner declined you. But OVH is pretty strict, too. Or if your content could get you into legal trouble in germany (at least if you're german). Which could be almost anything! So only host ultra-uncontroversial stuff in germany, or be legally offshore, or be a big rich business with your own in-house legal department.

Hetzner in all other cases. Especially if you don't like the french approach to business (often being a bit half-assed, disorganized, unreliable, unpredictable, wishy-washy, rushed, not thoroughly thought through etc.). Or if you think that in 2021, in a first-world country, the DCs of a huge-ass hoster should of course have some sort of fire-extinguishing system, not just sensors and a box that calls the firefighters. (But I'm not sure if @Hetzner_OL is any better in that regard). And only if paying your invoices (ON TIME, duh!) doesn't sound like a wired, strange, bizarre, and absurd concept to you.

• There's no one size fits all.

• edited March 2021

> two servers with same/similar hardware and price.

Location of DCs may be another factor to consider (due to latency & bandwidth considerations between them and you or your main target audience).

Also network speed (IIRC SYS is usually 100Mbit, Hetzner 1Gbit?) if your use pattern can take advantage of the better.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited March 2021

You could add php-friends firewall to any hetzner dedi for 6,50€ a month (far cheaper if you get one of their promo VPS they sell 2-3x a year).

So for my E3-1246V3, 32GB DDR3, 2x2TB Enterprise HDD with monthly cost of 22,69€ this would raise the price point to ~30€.

This setup could replace an SYS GAME-2 saving me 23€ a month. Let aside the fact that I had a VPS with two dedicated Ryzen threads and 10GB RAM to make use of.

• @ourvds said:

@amsaal said:

@ourvds said:

And?

What and? Asked which one to choose, I wrote that I would not choose either of the two

sorry i dont want to be picky but it just that for my own knowledge as every one has their own opinions . if you have found better one then hint it atleast :)

• @pike said:
    You could add php-friends firewall to any hetzner dedi for 6,50€ a month (far cheaper if you get one of their promo VPS they sell 2-3x a year).

So for my E3-1246V3, 32GB DDR3, 2x2TB Enterprise HDD with monthly cost of 22,69€ this would raise the price point to ~30€.

This setup could replace an SYS GAME-2 saving me 23€ a month. Let aside the fact that I had a VPS with two dedicated Ryzen threads and 10GB RAM to make use of.

will this work for Hetzner cloud server [KVM] ?

• pbxpbx Member

@that_guy said: (But I'm not sure if @Hetzner_OL is any better in that regard)

Well, the DC isn't a tower with a lot of wood, but an industrial building with fire doors between rooms. If there's a fire, it should move slower.

• I bet 95-99% of the people on this site never gave one thought to fire suppression technologies or any other aspect of DC construction - but now are all experts.

• @DataGizmos said:
    I bet 95-99% of the people on this site never gave one thought to fire suppression technologies or any other aspect of DC construction - but now are all experts.

Many probably didn't give any thought to DR plans either.
    Hopefully that has changed a bit too!