Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any cheap cloud storage options for streaming a few videos, and saving files?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any cheap cloud storage options for streaming a few videos, and saving files?

sgno1sgno1 Member
edited February 2021 in Requests

Hi there,

Are there any cheap cloud storage options available to stream a few videos for a group of friends and store some files. I want to be able to connect it to my Linux Server, looking for around 1-2 TB and if possible in the EU, if not I can still consider it but since my server is in the EU, it would be nice to have a stable connection.

I'm not sure how the loads will work since I'm not too technical but it will be shared to at least 10-50 people. I was looking to pay around $5? Can pay annually of $60 too.

Thanks.

Comments

• Maybe CloudFlare Stream?

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited February 2021

Backblaze B2 gets you 1 TB storage for $5. Put it behind Cloudflare and traffic is also now free. Just make sure you're not feeding too much (I'm over 150 TB/month with no issue) on egress from Cloudflare and they don't suspend you.

• @0xbkt said:
    Backblaze B2 gets you 1 TB storage for $5. Put it behind Cloudflare and traffic is also now free. Just make sure you're not feeding too much (I'm over 150 TB/month with no issue) on egress from Cloudflare and they don't suspend you.

interesting. what media center/server you use for this setup?

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited February 2021

@ravenchad said:

@0xbkt said:

Nothing. I just help a couple customers of mine with running their own streaming servers on top of Cloudflare and B2. That 150 TB/month out is from my live testbed where my GH Actions workers pull data (just a 10GB raw blob) continually from the Cloudflare endpoint to see how hard I can push it while keeping a balance on optimal account lifetime. I don't guarantee shit beyond that rate while I know some devour it close to a PB.

• @0xbkt said:

@ravenchad said:

@0xbkt said:

Nothing. I just help a couple customers of mine with running their own streaming servers on top of Cloudflare and B2. That 150 TB/month out is from my live testbed where my GH Actions workers pull data (just a 10GB raw blob) continually from the Cloudflare endpoint to see how hard I can push it while keeping a balance on optimal account lifetime. I don't guarantee shit beyond that rate while I know some devour it close to a PB.

How does that work? How can you go past the caps the company has set on their bandwidth i.e. 1 TB

• ChocowebChocoweb Member
    edited February 2021

@sgno1 said:

@0xbkt said:

@ravenchad said:

@0xbkt said:

How does that work? How can you go past the caps the company has set on their bandwidth i.e. 1 TB

If your "the company" means the server provider, then: since you download the file/video from Cloudflare, and the origin/backend is B2, your own server is not involved here!

By default Cloudflare doesn't cache videos (even if a Cache-Control header is set, unless you force it in the page rules, but this is actually forbidden by Cloudflare's TOS). Therefore, the download speed may not always fast since every request would go back to the origin.

Also, since B2 doesn't support bucket custom domain, the URL would always be something like https://subdomain-for-b2.example.com/file/<bucket_name>/<actual_file_path_in_bucket>

If you don't really care that, then the solution (B2+CF) is really cost effective, the bandwidth cost will always be zero.

Here's the guide: https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217666928-Using-Backblaze-B2-with-the-Cloudflare-CDN

Thanked by 1sharpe
  • Scaleway is offering "cold storage" for €2/TB based on S3 protocol.

• @Tejy said:
    Scaleway is offering "cold storage" for €2/TB based on S3 protocol.

SMR drives and erasure coding. I don't think it's suitable to share video files.