Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are you providers dealing with Texas?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How are you providers dealing with Texas?

For the providers that have servers in Texas how's it going? How you dealing with everything?

Comments

• jugganutsjugganuts Member
    edited February 2021

For those that don't know, texas was hit with a historic snow Storm and the infrastructure collapsed.

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep

We're in Carrier-1 and everything has been solid.

Thanked by 1jugganuts
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Datacenters are fine, they should be on protected grids like hospitals, but if not, they all should have plenty of backup fuel. Either way, the cold weather and snow is over now. Everything is back to normal.

For the average person, this week has been not fun. No power for 3~ full days, many had water that barely flows, and many apartment buildings had frozen pipes burst, ruining the whole building. There's been a huge increase in house/apartment fires, and the fire departments do not have access to water via the public water system because of various reasons, so putting out fires has been much harder for them. Many cities in Texas weren't prepared at all, so basic tasks that northern states normally do (such as de-icing roads with salt or other methods) was non-existent. Even after the snow melted, many roads under bridges were still iced and the city didn't seem to care to do anything or even put up warnings, so vehicle wrecks have been much worse.
    If you were in a city that was not connected to the "Texas power grid", but was connected to the two national U.S. power grids, then you didn't have any issues. Such as cities on the very west and east border of the state.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

We are located in the Infomart building and have had no down time. While myself I live in Austin tx and was without power for 4 days and I am still without water now.

Thanked by 1jugganuts
  • Snow in Texas?! Anyone has first hand photos?

• @LTniger said:
    Snow in Texas?! Anyone has first hand photos?

it's all over the internet

• How Texas surviving? Does your houses have heat? I thought that this country is dry and hot like Australia. Bad movie influence :(

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited February 2021

@LTniger said:

Thanked by 1Levi
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2021

I've had no problems with my servers in Dallas. Hivelocity keeps going like a beast.

@LTniger said:

https://photos.freesocial.co/p/jarland/268542474295840768

We've been pretty blessed you can see, a lot of snow and two happy little ones to share it with.

• What about power costs? Price per unit is crazy high ATM. Some people paying $10000 a month.

@jugganuts said:
    What about power costs? Price per unit is crazy high ATM. Some people paying $10000 a month.

Luckily we're not on one of those variable rate plans, so while it'll be high for us it won't be devastating.

I think the companies doing that will be forced to settle those giant bills with a reasonable compromise, else they definitely won't be collecting anything.

Thanked by 1jugganuts
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited February 2021

@jar said:
    I've had no problems with my servers in Dallas. Hivelocity keeps going like a beast.

@LTniger said:

https://photos.freesocial.co/p/jarland/268542474295840768

We've been pretty blessed you can see, a lot of snow and two happy little ones to share it with.

And the sled was never used again. How does one even have one in Texas?

Thanked by 1jar
    edited February 2021

@TimboJones said: And the sled was never used again. How does one even have one in Texas?

Passed down through generations :joy:

Literally same one I had as a kid so it's got about 30 years on it at least.

Thanked by 2OhJohn TimboJones