Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking recommendation: VPS/Dedi provider with extremely clean/good IP reputation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seeking recommendation: VPS/Dedi provider with extremely clean/good IP reputation

Title says it all. We're on a dedicated server and, despite reprovisioning IPs a few times, we end up with several on RBLs before we've even used them -- sometimes for IP-specific behavior, sometimes because we're in a larger block deemed to be bad.

Our own mail is clean; we could just route it all through SES or some other external SMTP, but we'd prefer not to. I'm shopping but can't find any rankings based on average IP reputation. Does such a thing exist? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Comments

• Which RBLs? Some of them (like UCEPROTECT) blacklist IPs way too easily and it's basically impossible to keep an IP range 'clean' according to them, unless you pay them a lot of money to delist.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Normally you will get clean IPv4 and you need to work on reputation.

• Honestly if you’re looking to deliver email reliably 100% of the time, use an SMTP provider. You might get a provider and end up in a completely clean block but ultimately that could change down the line - some abuse/spammers always slip through the cracks no matter how good or tough you are on detecting it, I don’t think there’s any provider out there that can 100% say their IP space is always clean, especially in the low end market.

• mxroute

• @Daniel15 said:
    Which RBLs? Some of them (like UCEPROTECT) blacklist IPs way too easily and it's basically impossible to keep an IP range 'clean' according to them, unless you pay them a lot of money to delist.

My hetrix BL monitoring our OVH dedis, and sometimes got blacklisted uceprotect level 2 and 3, but its delisted few days later and get listed again after being delisted in the next few days.

The UCEPROTECT blocklist provides blocklisting three levels of increasing severity:

Level 1: Primarily reports only single IP addresses.
    Level 2: Primarily reports multiple IP addresses.
    Level 3: Primarily reports all IP addresses within a group of IP networks. It corresponds to several hundred abusive IP addresses at smaller providers as well as thousands of abusive IP addresses at mid-sized or large email service providers.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Probably your chances might be slightly better with smaller providers owning their own IP space with manual client verification etc. Due to lacking automation those providers will be more expensive but may take more care about each single customer and their own IP space. However there is no 'guarantee' of course.

• the costly hosting provider has more chances for clean ips.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

uceprotect RBL need to generate some income therefore they will blacklist as many IPs as possible to get $$$$ whitelisting fees.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

I'd be happy to help on that.

@ggwwbb said:
    Title says it all. We're on a dedicated server and, despite reprovisioning IPs a few times, we end up with several on RBLs before we've even used them -- sometimes for IP-specific behavior, sometimes because we're in a larger block deemed to be bad.

...generally i have a good ip-reputation. I'm happy to provide you with a report including historic data.

Our own mail is clean; we could just route it all through SES or some other external SMTP, but we'd prefer not to. I'm shopping but can't find any rankings based on average IP reputation. Does such a thing exist? Any recommendations? Thanks!

As an alternative plan, you could go for your own as-number + ipv4 and ipv6 prefixes.

I'd also be happy to assist on that.

@Daniel15 said:
    Which RBLs? Some of them (like UCEPROTECT) blacklist IPs way too easily and it's basically impossible to keep an IP range 'clean' according to them, unless you pay them a lot of money to delist.

unless the range and as-number are used exclusively by you.

in wich case you make your own reputation...

@WSCallum said:
    Honestly if you’re looking to deliver email reliably 100% of the time, use an SMTP provider. You might get a provider and end up in a completely clean block but ultimately that could change down the line - some abuse/spammers always slip through the cracks no matter how good or tough you are on detecting it, I don’t think there’s any provider out there that can 100% say their IP space is always clean, especially in the low end market.

pricing wise this is the smartest play , if you can live with your customers data going thru amazon.

• Try spamwall, its like having your mail on a vps. You get 3 clean dedicated IPs.

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

If you are looking for clean /24s, /23s, /22s for opt-in user email and don't mind paying a premium for the service, get in touch me with your valid business info. :)

• Uceprotect is a joke.

• You are better off working on delisting ips. In my experience most will delist - the ones that are hard to delist from tend to not be widely used. For larger providers hotmail seems to be the one that uses the most internal blacklisting but actually responds to delist requests and normally in a few days it can be resolved. Gmail, with nearly no contact to delist, is pretty good to not simply block ips.

RBL's IMO don't really show how good or bad a provider is. Spammers will try to bypass fraud protections and spam, legitimate mail servers get hacked, and most systems are not running excellent outbound filters (otherwise you are already using an external smtp/spam filter). Being reactive to spam complaints still gets the ips listed, and unless there is automatic delisting on an RBL these ips will get listed and not be delisted until there is manual intervention. I don't see a hosting company monitoring every ip either to ensure its clean on every list and delisting them expect in the super premium range where email delivery is what you are buying - and again you are back at an external smtp service.

IP reputation is partially luck and partially an excellent AUP. I haven't even got into false positives, emails reported as spam that are really on the edge, and shitty rbl's like uceprotect listing for tcp syncookies being in use. I am on every return path feedback loop and half are forwarded emails being reported as spam. I rarely see a company that has a reasonable abuse department that acts on spam that RBL's really affect email delivery. True bastard operators from hell that are blocking email rarely have a lot of clients that use them for email delivery because of the lack of reliable email. Senders and receivers want to get legit email with out false positives. If a providers is blocking a lot of legitimate emails they are getting complaints from their users to fix their email delivery.

• swat4swat4 Member
    edited February 2021

you may try @seriesn

Based on MXtools blacklist check, all of my existing vps ip are not listed

139.64.xxx.xxx (Japan)

139.xxx.xxx.18 (Singapore)

158.51.xxx.xxx (USA)

45.147.xxx.xxx (UK)

• @swat4 said:
    you may try @seriesn

139.64.xxx.xxx (Japan)

158.51.xxx.xxx (USA)

45.147.xxx.xxx (UK)

I 2nd @seriesn .... all the ip's i have from nexusbytes are clean... and I'm sure Jay will agree im racking up a few

• MarcoooMarcooo Member, Host Rep

We have also clean ips

• @chip said:

@swat4 said:
    you may try @seriesn

139.64.xxx.xxx (Japan)

158.51.xxx.xxx (USA)

45.147.xxx.xxx (UK)

I 2nd @seriesn .... all the ip's i have from nexusbytes are clean... and I'm sure Jay will agree im racking up a few

I 3rd @seriesn - squeaky clean IP and zero mail issues. Zero problems. Shit, can even browse Google without captcha challenges ever. Fun fact I discovered when testing..

• @its420somewhere said: Shit, can even browse Google without captcha challenges ever

Actually, getting captchas is not the norm. It happens a lot with colocrossing or subnets owned by big companies. Or maybe big subnets? Either way, it doesn't happen often.

• @smallbibi said: Actually, getting captchas is not the norm.

It is when they know your subnet belongs to a provider. And with good reason.

• definetly avoid any of the large players, it seems to equate a tolerated amount of abuse by clients.

I monitor all of my IPs through Hetrix and have been on Servarica a while without any issues, Spartan Host and Virtono are solid; be sure definetly avoid any OVH resellers.

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • Hello,

We do everything in our power to keep our IP space clean, and at this time none of our space is on any blocklist from what I've been able to tell. We monitor our IP space using HetrixTools and we reply to abuse reports within 24 hours on average.