Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are you not using a Transactional SMTP service?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are you not using a Transactional SMTP service?

Hello everyone,

As you may or may not know, transactional emails are one of the most important emails for your web app / website.

Emails like: password reset emails, sign up emails, e-commerce or forum notification emails etc.

Even if the website or web app you have//or run does not generate a lot of (email) traffic, you'd always want to have access to any website/web app generated emails like password resets, in case of emergency. You'd always want the option, to be able to troubleshoot.

I am just wondering, in case you are not using any SMTP or email API service for this, why aren't you using any?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

A lot of people use MXroute for wordpress sites, forums, etc. I've recently started a new campaign of protecting their domain reputation from abusive sign ups as well: https://mxroute.com/helping-our-customers-keep-high-reputation/

The number of forums and blogs sending out emails that get marked as spam has dramatically dropped by this effort, I'm pretty proud of it. It's hard to find things that no one else is doing in this space.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@navinp said:
    Emails like: password reset emails, sign up emails, e-commerce or forum notification emails etc.

I usually integrate social login through GitHub or Twitter or Facebook, so that I don't need to generate any email and user has one fewer password to remember.

My E-commerce is on eBay. No need to maintain website or email. However, eBay takes a 15% cut.

Thanked by 2kkrajk navinp
  • Mailchannels blocked the last few unRAID test notifications. That turned me off. You want your notifications to be reliable.

@TimboJones said:
    Mailchannels blocked the last few unRAID test notifications. That turned me off. You want your notifications to be reliable.

A lot of problems I see around system notifications seem to come from lacking vital headers and improper sending addresses. Examples being root@localhost, missing date header.

• @navinp nah I think your prices are very expensive.

• Also there's an offer topic if you want to post there and maybe apply for provider tag first.

• @cazrz said:
    Also there's an offer topic if you want to post there and maybe apply for provider tag first.

Why? This is clearly not an offer, its a discussion. The fact that the OP happens to have a link to a service in their signature is irrelevant. If I have a link to Hetzner in my signature does that make my discussion threads about Hetzner become offers? I doubt it.

Thanked by 1navinp
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited February 2021

Amazon SES is the best you can get. It is essentially free if you are in the limits of the month. No care about reputation and backed by mega corp. There is nothing to be desired more.

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • @LTniger said:
    Amazon SES is the best you can get. It is essentially free if you are in the limits of the month. No care about reputation and backed by mega corp. There is nothing to be desired more.

I was using SES in the starting days (2017), but their delivery was very poor, customers were complaining. Happy for you that you have good experience with Amazon SES.

• @Erisa said:

@cazrz said:
    Also there's an offer topic if you want to post there and maybe apply for provider tag first.

Why? This is clearly not an offer, its a discussion. The fact that the OP happens to have a link to a service in their signature is irrelevant. If I have a link to Hetzner in my signature does that make my discussion threads about Hetzner become offers? I doubt it.

The link to his signature is his service.
    The link to your sig is not your service.

IMHO this is a shameless plug. But its just me :smile:

Thanked by 2kkrajk jar
  • Its also be better if the sig does not say another provider name and links to another competitor.

I have nothing against the Original Poster, but maybe Im just against the Original Post.
    As it seems to be indirect promotion with not so good marketing/seo strategy

But again its just me :)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2021

@yoursunny said: eBay takes a 15% cut.

and plus PayPal take their fees so eBay used to be great.

We do use Amazon SES for our transactional emails.

• @WebProject said:

@yoursunny said: eBay takes a 15% cut.

and plus PayPal take their fees so eBay used to be great.

We do use Amazon SES for our transactional emails.

Very cool. It's nice to get some perspective from LET members.

@Erisa said:

@cazrz said:

Spend a little time at WHT for a fun perspective. Here's my parody of WHT:

Have you checked the offer forums? What are your requirements?

Signature:
    6 lines describing the services we offer

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @jar said:

@Erisa said:

@cazrz said:

Spend a little time at WHT for a fun perspective. Here's my parody of WHT:

Have you checked the offer forums? What are your requirements?

Signature:
    6 lines describing the services we offer

There's also a post count requirement if you want to include a signature on WHT, which makes this problem worse. Somehow, WHT still seems to be alive and well

Thanked by 1jar
  • @cazrz said:

@Erisa said:

@cazrz said:

The link to his signature is his service.
    The link to your sig is not your service.

IMHO this is a shameless plug. But its just me :smile:

Shameless plugs are not the same as offers. This thread is fine.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @cazrz said: As it seems to be indirect promotion with not so good marketing/seo strategy

This is LET, this thread is 100% acceptable.

The OP just needs to understand that every time they make a post multiple people will pile onto it to shit post about how they're crappy SEO shill spammers and gain a bad reputation for doing these thinly veiled no-provider-tag "non offers" and accept that

Thanked by 1TimboJones