Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD users should immediately switch to the latest Linux 5.11 kernel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD users should immediately switch to the latest Linux 5.11 kernel

marvelmarvel Member
edited February 2021 in General

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-users-should-immediately-switch-to-the-latest-linux-511-kernel

The latest release of the Linux kernel features some impressive performance enhancements for AMD hardware.

Released over the valentine’s day weekend, Linux kernel 5.11 fixed a major performance regression that impacted the AMD Zen architecture. Thanks to the fix, Zen-based processors such as Ryzen and EPYC have been benchmarked as being faster out of the box than on previous kernels. Also debuting in the release is support for AMD “Van Gogh” and “Dimgrey Cavefish” GPUs.

Anybody with a before/after benchmark? I will see if I can make one :smiley:

Comments

• nice, when Intel users are asked to update their shit its only to decrease the performance...

• I half expected a new exploit or what not.. but it's performance boost

• @caracal oh hi floppa <3

• @pike said:
    nice, when Intel users are asked to update their shit its only to decrease the performance...

no thats nvidia users lol

• Reading the title I expected a vulnerability. Instead, it's about a performance boost. Awesome news.

Thanked by 1pike
  • I can't believe it , before the upgrade my Ryzen 9 3900 max GHZ was alwayse stuck at 3.9 GHZ , now after the upgrade it can even reach 5.6 GHZ !

Is that a joke or what ?

• sassesasse Member
    edited February 2021

any steps how to update ?

apt dist-upgrade
    shows no update and is in older version yet.

• Well upgrading broke lxd and zfs for me so i have to pass this :(

• Sounds... intriguing. Waiting for some benchmarks first :P

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited February 2021

@miroc said:
    Well upgrading broke lxd and zfs for me so i have to pass this :(

Likely the kernel you're installing doesn't include the ZFS module while your distro-built one has it added in.

You'll need to install your distributions equivalent of a zfs-dkms package to get the module running. It may need to be a newer version of zfs-dkms to support a kernel that high though, I remember there being a PPA for Ubuntu but don't have the link to hand and not sure if other distributions have similar

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@momkin said:
    I can't believe it , before the upgrade my Ryzen 9 3900 max GHZ was alwayse stuck at 3.9 GHZ , now after the upgrade it can even reach 5.6 GHZ !

Is that a joke or what ?

I wonder how cooling will cope, together with the power draw in the rack ;-)

Thanked by 1WSCallum
  • @Clouvider said: I wonder how cooling will cope, together with the power draw in the rack ;-)

interestingly i don't see any additional power draw on my killawatt, running on a 5950x

• 3.9GHz to 5.6GHz without any extra power? Did Physics go on a vacation?

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @saibal said:
    3.9GHz to 5.6GHz without any extra power? Did Physics go on a vacation?

yes

• @saibal said: Did Physics go on a vacation?

yes

i'll try longer compile, but if it needs to scale up to 5ghz for a bit and back down in a minute it does not seem like it uses much more, and it scales back down very aggressively when not needed

• I hope it doesn’t break LVM and libvirt again

Thanked by 3Erisa jsg DarkCarnage
  • @saibal said:
    3.9GHz to 5.6GHz without any extra power? Did Physics go on a vacation?

I though this was a troll and I'm still unsure...

• @momkin said:
    I can't believe it , before the upgrade my Ryzen 9 3900 max GHZ was alwayse stuck at 3.9 GHZ , now after the upgrade it can even reach 5.6 GHZ !

Is that a joke or what ?

AMD's site says the Ryzen 9 3900 boosts to 4.3GHz max... I wonder how you're reaching 5.6Ghz 🤔

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@Daniel15 said:
    AMD's site says the Ryzen 9 3900 boosts to 4.3GHz max... I wonder how you're reaching 5.6Ghz 🤔

That's Ryzen 2600 ;)

https://ibb.co/D7BTkmv

• @vero said: That's Ryzen 2600

I was looking at this page: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-pro-3900

I understand. I've just uploaded an image for you guys to get an idea what Ryzens are capable of :)

• Not just AMD but Intel as well
    I just upgraded three my VPS to latest version 5.11 and seem the Woocommerce site load much faster on checkout.

• It will be this summer :) when proxmox 7 will came

Hosting industry is locked to 4.18 max for next five years at least :(

• @Daniel15 said:

@momkin said:

Is that a joke or what ?

I am also surprised, i don't have any idea how it goes to 5.4GHZ while the AMD website says maximum is Up to 4.3GHz :neutral:

processor : 17

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 23
    model : 113
    model name : AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12-Core Processor
    stepping : 0
    microcode : 0x8701021
    cpu MHz : 5279.687
    cache size : 512 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 24
    core id : 6
    cpu cores : 12
    apicid : 13
    initial apicid : 13
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 16
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt tce topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb bpext perfctr_llc mwaitx cpb cat_l3 cdp_l3 hw_pstate sme ssbd mba sev ibpb stibp vmmcall sev_es fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 cqm rdt_a rdseed adx smap clflushopt clwb sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves cqm_llc cqm_occup_llc cqm_mbm_total cqm_mbm_local clzero irperf xsaveerptr rdpru wbnoinvd arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold avic v_vmsave_vmload vgif umip rdpid overflow_recov succor smca
    bugs : sysret_ss_attrs spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass
    bogomips : 6187.96
    TLB size : 3072 4K pages
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 43 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management: ts ttp tm hwpstate cpb eff_freq_ro [13] [14]

@webminfo said:
    Not just AMD but Intel as well
    I just upgraded three my VPS to latest version 5.11 and seem the Woocommerce site load much faster on checkout.

Sometimes such things happen after server reboot..

• wat

Model name:                      AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core Processor
    Stepping:                        0
    Frequency boost:                 enabled
    CPU MHz:                         5785.351
    CPU max MHz:                     6935.7422

• 69 nice

• Does anyone use 5.x kernel on CentOS 7?

• Does anyone use CentOS?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • Thank you for the tip @Erisa I could now join the kernel 5.11 gang :sunglasses: Quite disappointed though, I didn't gain any performance boost, at least not as far as geekbench is concerned. :(