Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What's the best way to screen vps / dedi by IP reputation?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the best way to screen vps / dedi by IP reputation?

I love my current provider, but either they or their upstream datacenter cannot seem to provide clean IPs. If I spin up a mail server, inevitably I find out that not just that particular IP but the whole class C block is blocked for prior bad behavior.

I could farm out our mail, but I don't want to, so that leaves me wondering how to sort future VPS or dedicated-server providers by IP reputation. Any ideas?

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

how to sort future VPS or dedicated-server providers by IP reputation.

Mail-wise it's simple, just check if the IP you get is in any RBLs, using for example https://bgp.he.net/. Enter an IP, click Search and switch to the "RBL" tab. Then you can visit each of those sites which list your IP and find their procedure for removal.

On the other hand personally I'd like to find a way to know how likely I am to get a CAPTCHA if I decide to use any given provider for a VPN for web browsing. For instance currently on OVH it's nearly guaranteed, at Online.net a bit less often, etc. But how to know that prior to purchasing? There are no public "RBLs" for that, and browsing-CAPTCHA has nothing to do with mail reputation.

Thanked by 1ggwwbb