Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We're about to launch something very new at OnApp...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

We're about to launch something very new at OnApp...

ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

...and I would love to get you on board.

If you know OnApp, you will know that, over the years, we’ve kind of moved away from enabling cloud for the SME/SoHo hoster, and we’ve been dealing more with larger MSPs and Telcos.

While that's great, and it’s been fantastic for us as a company, it has also been kind of bugging me that we weren’t as focused on hosters as we used to be - I talked about this in a Q&A at LowEndBox quite recently.

OnApp was born in the hosting industry, and I’ve always wanted to get back to a version of OnApp that suits that hoster market, in terms of the entry point, price-wise, and also in terms of functionality. It's just been too complicated, capex intensive and time consuming.

Well, that time has come! We’re getting close to the launch now, and I wanted you guys to be first to know… there’s a sign-up form at onapp.com/let.
If you register there, I'll make sure you're first in line for a free trial :)

Thanks,

:)
D

Thanked by 2tmyers mrTom

Comments

• i feel special

Thanked by 1ditlev
  • HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

Interesting to hear what is being developed!

Thanked by 1ditlev
  • ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Exciting to know what is brewing ahead

Thanked by 1ditlev
  • ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

It's been +1y of intense development, so I can not wait to show you!

• "a new cloud platform for hosts" ah it not for me as an end-user.

Thanked by 1kkrajk

@sibaper said:
    "a new cloud platform for hosts" ah it not for me as an end-user.

Nope - this is build specifically for hosters.

• stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep

Interested to see what's coming. Have you any other tidbits of info you can share?

Thanked by 1ditlev
  • TejyTejy Member
    edited February 2021

Looks exciting! Hope that the pricing model won't be as cPanel, or SolusIO!
    Any screenshot, or small element to tease us? :D

Thanked by 1ditlev
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Is there a confirmation email that's sent? Or just the confirmation on the web page? (just making sure lol).

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@ditlev it's awesome that you're paying attention to the smaller hosts in the industry. Good luck with this new project.

• @Mr_Tom said:
    Is there a confirmation email that's sent? Or just the confirmation on the web page? (just making sure lol).

If it helps, I didn't receive any confirmation email.

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom
  • muhahahaha I know what it is :D

• @ditlev hoping for a drop in replacement for virtualizor and solusvm without the need for mass migration :)

• @andrewn said:
    muhahahaha I know what it is :D

What is it?

• must be the cloud dot net

In about two weeks you'll know more. Thank you for the +100 signups so far. I can not wait to show you what we are up to.

Thanked by 1nyamenk
  • coolicecoolice Member
    edited February 2021

I told that to solus at wht and I told it again here

Per CPU Core billing model is not reflecting modern days CPUs

In the past I payed about $115-130 for E3-12xx with big for the time SSDs which are 4 non (HT) cores and maybe prices per CPU core was ok for that times

Now days I can get 24 or 20 (2 x 10) (non HT) for very close to that amount of $ (First / Second Gen AMD EPYCS (even some 3rd gen 32 non ht for under 200 If i want such ) and old super expensive Intel's + some Ryzens 16 non ht and 12 even cheaper) and companies that build software products with per core price even at $5 is bringing the price for that very close to the price of hardware

Even the price is/ was ok for E3s As our main business is to sell access to CPU RAM and Space - it is just better to get 2 times the hardware and use other software that has single fee per node and be double times more competitive to someone that pays 1 time more the hardware fees for software failing into the per core model

Just my 2c

• @ditlev said:
    In about two weeks you'll know more. Thank you for the +100 signups so far. I can not wait to show you what we are up to.

Does the pricing model caters to let providers?

• @coolice said: Just my 2c

The board of directors will take your 2c to their pockets. Thank you.

Thanked by 2TimboJones jetchirag
  • @LTniger said:

@coolice said: Just my 2c

Btw Maybe it is a coincidence but about a month and half (oct 1, 20) after I posted the same about Solus.io (08-08-20), in thread about their product at WHT they dropped the price from €5 per core to €2.50 :)

@coolice said:

@LTniger said:

Btw Maybe it is a coincidence but about a month and half (oct 1, 20) after I posted the same about Solus.io (08-08-20), in thread about their product at WHT they dropped the price from €5 per core to €2.50 :)

did that pricing work for you?

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

@ditlev said:

@coolice said:

@LTniger said:

I don’t think even that pricing works for most hosts that just want a newer version of SolusVM.

Per node pricing will always be easier to budget for and allow hosts to expand. It would also provide the software provider will a wider range customer base to sell too.

Thanked by 1stratagem

Per core pricing would be closer to acceptable if the software quality/features warrantied it. Depends on what they're going to offer I think, if it's 'just' another Solus/Virtualizor then per node pricing definitely.

edited February 2021

@stratagem said:
    Per core pricing would be closer to acceptable if the software quality/features warrantied it. Depends on what they're going to offer I think, if it's 'just' another Solus/Virtualizor then per node pricing definitely.

I guess it depends on what business models and revenue streams the platform enables.

Also (and this is the chief complain for OnApp in the LET segment), startup cost and CAPEX is another major hurdle for many.
    So, it's not just the ongoing cost and fee structure - but also server requirements, time to market, simplicity of the management etc.

D

Thanked by 1coreflux

Thanks @ditlev - much appreciate the response. That does to me sound like it's going to be similar to cloud.net (hosted elsewhere so no servers/capex to worry about) - let's wait and see what the reveal brings in that regard.

Thanked by 1ditlev
    edited February 2021

@stratagem said:
    Thanks @ditlev - much appreciate the response. That does to me sound like it's going to be similar to cloud.net (hosted elsewhere so no servers/capex to worry about) - let's wait and see what the reveal brings in that regard.

today cloud.net is awesome for large private clouds. Average basketsize is well beyond $10k/mo. What we are doing here is very different :)

Thanked by 1stratagem
  • coolicecoolice Member
    edited February 2021

@ditlev said:

@coolice said:

@LTniger said:

Thank you for the response:

No as I use virtualization for 2 main scenarios:

1. to to host our shared hosting severs 1 VM per node (with ZFS storage replication at couple of minutes to reserves ) additionally to RPO 5 minutes failover capability our plan is when next generation hardware is available at the same price point we currently pay - to migrate to such passing benefits to our customers (faster cores, bigger plans with more storage) to stay competitive and eventually to make another buck from the more added cores :) without changing any other expenses

Price per core directly add to our costs and that is unreasonble long term as we plan to do such jumps couple of times during the live of Cloud Linux 8 (it is RTO ~ 5 minutes process and can be done with zero RPO even with storage replication technique )

1. To sell high end managed VDS with 100% guaranteed cores (means that we do not mind customer to push all available cores to 100% 24/7 during the contracted period if they do not want to scale up. Price per core just add to cost per client as we do not share cores to multiple clients to offset that cost... it can be ok for that scenario but I'm more ok to pay per socket / node to support the virtulization software development that gives us the functions we need

Thanks for your input, this will be interesting!

D

@coolice said:

@ditlev said:

@coolice said:

@LTniger said:

Thank you for the response:

No as I use virtualization for 2 main scenarios:

1. to to host our shared hosting severs 1 VM per node (with ZFS storage replication at couple of minutes to reserves ) additionally to RPO 5 minutes failover capability our plan is when next generation hardware is available at the same price point we currently pay - to migrate to such passing benefits to our customers (faster cores, bigger plans with more storage) to stay competitive and eventually to make another buck from the more added cores :) without changing any other expenses

Price per core directly add to our costs and that is unreasonble long term as we plan to do such jumps couple of times during the live of Cloud Linux 8 (it is RTO ~ 5 minutes process and can be done with zero RPO even with storage replication technique )

1. To sell high end managed VDS with 100% guaranteed cores (means that we do not mind customer to push all available cores to 100% 24/7 during the contracted period if they do not want to scale up. Price per core just add to cost per client as we do not share cores to multiple clients to offset that cost... it can be ok for that scenario but I'm more ok to pay per socket / node to support the virtulization software development that gives us the functions we need
    Thanked by 1coolice
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited February 2021

@coolice said:
    it can be ok for that scenario but I'm more ok to pay per socket / node to support the virtulization software development that gives us the functions we need

Switching to core pricing is exactly because scaling is done by more cores now, not more sockets. Paying per core allows them to scale with you as you do better, not do worse for them while being integral to your success.

What your actual problem is, is low quality/efficiency hardware or the price per core, not the model so much.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited February 2021

@TimboJones said:

@coolice said:
    it can be ok for that scenario but I'm more ok to pay per socket / node to support the virtulization software development that gives us the functions we need

Switching to core pricing is exactly because scaling is done by more cores now, not more sockets. Paying per core allows them to scale with you as you do better, not do worse for them while being integral to your success.

What your actual problem is, is low quality/efficiency hardware or the price per core, not the model so much.

I do not calculate in it that way... I pay $115 -130 per hosting node for hardware and I'm totally ok with paying 10% from hardware price for virtualization solution which brings me additional features we need...

However I'm not ok from next year when we jump hardware... to start paying 60% of the hardware price because that will be the price for a bit old hardware has (there was allready some offers at hetzner auctions with €115 some EPYCs 7401p 24/48 with 2 x 1,92 SSD) so i believe that next year we will see more offers on that price point from other providers

and as currently Hetzner offer brand new with 2 x 1,92 SSD AMD EPYC 7502P 32 (64 HT) Cores with for $189 I belive that in 3 years when second hardware jump is planned that will be on my price point with bigger drives or even better CPU will become available

So 3 years from now the price of the virtualization solution will become 80% from my hardware price while they will have exact same expenses to create same software for the same priced server....

I totally believe that is wrong per software provider to try to be part of my business as they do not have any expenses per one of my clients... and I have expenses per client ... It is the same as Game devs to start to ask more per game if you have better videocard and can play on high / ultra than on medium

P.S on the old Onapp price that $189 /mo server will pay $320 for the onapp license single node (and you need 3 to have micro cloud ) ... which is close to 180% of the hardware prices - and that is things that stagnate industry to go forward

And if the completion choose to go open source (Opne Stack as big boys) or something cheaper they can literally offer 3 times more resources with the same expenses at the same price for the end customer as you with same level of node density which will make you noncompetitive

and that provider to go forward with you is the most unnatural thing for the IT industry thing I heard...
    in that industry provider always pass benefits from newer better to customers.... my first VPS provider charged me $40 for a single shared core 256MB RAM, 3 GB space Virtuozzo in 2005 if they decide to grow with me currently prices will be the same :)

Thanked by 2LightBlade angelius