Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Samba over Wireguard guide or configuration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Samba over Wireguard guide or configuration

valkvalk Member

So hello there, I'm looking for a way to setup Samba shares over Wireguard correctly, but it seems I couldn't get it to work, literally spent an entire day messin the server and my PC getting the shares working but failed miserably, server is running Debian Bullseye, client is running Windows 10

Thanks in advance~!

Comments

• If you can ping the other side of the link, then it should work. Things to try:

• Are you using the server name or address? Name resolution won't work automatically so unless you are using a public name for the server or have configured a name->address alias in local DNS or hosts file, you may need to use \1.2.3.4\sharename instead of \machinename\sharename
    • Make sure your server-side firewall rules are not blocking the client connecting over the VPN.
    • Anything else I can think of depends on how you have the VPN setup (point-to-point or bridged?, What routing/NAT is configured?, ...)
    Thanked by 1valk
  • If your WG connection is fine, then this is probably just Samba fuckery instead of a combination of the two (that your title implies). If you can, just use NFS (Windows 10 has a client implementation) could save you a few hours.

Thanked by 2valk Erisa
  • @MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    If you can ping the other side of the link, then it should work. Things to try:

• Are you using the server name or address? Name resolution won't work automatically so unless you are using a public name for the server or have configured a name->address alias in local DNS or hosts file, you may need to use \1.2.3.4\sharename instead of \machinename\sharename
    • Make sure your server-side firewall rules are not blocking the client connecting over the VPN.
    • Anything else I can think of depends on how you have the VPN setup (point-to-point or bridged?, What routing/NAT is configured?, ...)

Yea I can ping the other side of the link, used the address, allowed the firewall, it showed up a password prompt, typed it in and it returns incorrect password (I did used smbpasswd -a + -e to add and enable the user I'm loggin in to, and then I kept bashing the enter key and after some bashing it returns the folder you enetered does not appear to be valid. I'm kinda confused

• tjntjn Member
    edited February 2021

Samba is already such a headache without a VPN!
    Are file shares your only option?